Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long application wait times …

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pab1997

10 weeks on sub here .. if it was a court summons i garauntee I’d have it in a week no bother they seem brutal at processing firearm stuff in kerry always changing fo and super

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JasonCee

Took me 3 months of constantly being in contact with my super and FO. They were probably sick of me at the end. The whole process is farcical. One might even think its on purpose...

Day 80 on a substitution , thinking of emailing the super to see can i get some actual information on what’s going on .. is that the right thing to do? Has anyone had to do it ? FO not back till Friday but hasn’t given concrete info on what’s happening

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

Why have you waited this long ? I may be lucky in that, in my district, they do not seem to add any undue delays, my last renewal took 8 days (much faster than expected - but after 80 days I would be camped in the station.) I have ensured that I communicate with the local licensing officer and the Superintendent and normally his secretary as well, which I think more people should do, I would start with a phone call to the Superintendent's secretary and ask for an update, i.e. is it on his desk in a pile! - I would then ask for a meeting with the Superintendent and you may find that act alone gets a move on the paperwork.

Much easier to process the sub than to take the time to meet you etc etc

Just my 2 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Totally agree. See post 24 above regarding relevant law.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

If I'm waiting more that 2 weeks for a sub or 3 weeks for a new license then it's on the phone to my FO I'd be calling to find out what the delay is.

When I was new to shooting I was waiting 7 months for a license until I demanded a meeting with the Super. I was told that there had been 4 new Supers within that time and each had put any licenses on the 'intray' for the next Super. I had the license within a couple of days after that meeting.

My record for a sub was, handed in the form on a Wednesday at 8pm and license was in thru the letter box Friday morning.

I’ve rang the FO about 10 times .. I was told 2 months in that it was progressing as normal and wouldn’t be long , then told there was something wrong on the form in relation to the optics box which was ticked on the original rifle and granted .. sent an email stating it was granted last time .. that was 3 weeks ago not seen anything since.. FO works like 2 days a week and can’t seem to find a way of contacting the super or even his secretary for that matter .. second rifle too so it’s not like I’m first time applying

Use this link, input county then pick station and click more information. It will give you all contact details as well as email for super or chief super.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pistol application lodged today in North Dublin. K District.

My first pistol but not first firearm.

Will update 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

And I'm still waiting. Fcuking ridiculous at this stage. The licence is out since November 2022.

• Advertisement

They mustn’t like us hahaha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

Restricted license lodged early April in County Cork. Not first licence. First restricted. 2 months and nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JasonCee

What did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CharlieR

Does MS affect a license application?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CharlieR

Day 93 for me and they wrote to my GP on Day 81 and I saw him on what would have been Day 85 since my application went in.

Spoke to Garda that I submitted it to and she said decision is due by the 11th July, I submitted my application on the 14th March.

She also didn't know why they wrote to my GP when I am only 56?

Can't fathom what they were doing for the previous 3 months??

Mine sat with them also for 2 months before I heard anything .. I’m on day 96 for a substitute

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Being nosey but is there a reason they contacted your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

Short answer is they are entitled to according to current regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Croohur1

I have had a few renewals recently (I live in Wicklow). Renewal letters with form come pretty much 3 months before expiry of licence. Fill in form, drop in to local station, they approve and its usually all done and dusted in 10 days. I had a query recently that I sent an email about, it was answered quickly, promptly and clarified to my satisfaction. There has been a big improvement here in Wicklow in the last few years, and while I know there are a number of lads around the country who are frustrated with the system (I was one of these lads a few years back!), its good to know the system does work when the Super for your area is organised and on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

As someone who also lives in Wicklow, I have to, and have given credit where its due, new applications, renewals, EU Permits have always been dealt with very promptly, my last renewal took 8 days from submission to having the card in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 2oldowl

License granted on June the 7th. Application submitted in the first week of January... Gun safe inspected in first week of February, GP and referees called same week.

And still waiting. I'm chasing it up and still getting nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Gazlam

What do they say is the hold up?

I got told that it's on the Chief Super's desk. It's a renewal for feck sake. Tick the box. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Gazlam

Its really unbelievable. I can't complain though. Applied in Feb and had licence in 2 weeks. Latest one is only 3 weeks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

As previously stated,

Applications for, and form and effect of, firearm certificates.

(9) A decision on an application for a firearm certificate or its renewal shall be given within 3 months from the date on which the applicant submitted a completed application form.

Appeal to District Court.

15A.— (1) An appeal may be made to the District Court by a person aggrieved by any of the following decisions made by an issuing person:

(a) an issuing person—

(i) who is required under section 3(9), 4A(7) or 10(4F) to decide on an application within a specified period, and

(ii) who does not so decide,

is deemed to have decided to refuse to grant the application,

(b) the applicant is deemed to have received notice of the decision on the expiration of that period, and

As 30 days have passed, after the initial 3 months period has expired ( therefore refused), you are deemed to have accepted the original decision

and as you have not appealed the decision, within the 30 day period for appeal, and it has has expired, your certificate stands expired, and if you have not handed in your firearm, to either dealer or AGS, then you are in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

• Advertisement

I won't go down that route yet. It hasn't been refused. My FO was on to me a few months ago about reducing the ammo limit on my licence for it and I agreed to it so the licence is on its way. On the back of a snail, from China it seems.

The gun is in storage with a gun dealer so I'm not in possession of an unlicenced firearm.

Advertisement