Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long application wait times …

Options
  • 06-04-2023 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Any other counties with slow turn around times on license ? (Kerry)

first license was 3 months

next was 2 months

put a substitution in on the second rifle for another rifle same calibre and now waiting 4 weeks …

when I handed in the new sub I would have thought 2/3 weeks max as surely it had all been checked on the original license that I substituted :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

Waited 6 months last year in kerry for a like for like substitution for a .22 Rifle they moved all firearms to Tralee from Killarney for some reason but was still a joke to be honest, I even rang on several days and the excuses and trying to get through unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm waiting over 3 months on a renewal. Because it's taking so long, I put the gun in storage with a gun dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 2oldowl

New application, 4months, 1 week and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭itisnotgrand

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JasonCee

Week 6 of waiting on a new application here. Haven't even received the initial letter from AGS. Based in west Galway.

Spoke with my FO and was fed all sorts of bs on the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 spudude65

10 weeks from initial application to grant,probably not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭john jameson

I'm now at 2 months!!

I substituted a 22lr for a 22 hw97 and still waiting

I emailed the F/O on Sunday evening

Based in west Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pab1997

Crazy like a new license down here takes 3 months can’t understand how a simple substitution takes nearly the same amount of time when a rifle was issued already

Little over 2 week in to my wait I got a call from the F/O seeking pictures of my gun box locked ....opened ....keys in door and the mechanism ffs.

She claimed that there is a new super and there "getting used of his way"

Iv 3 licences and a box for a good number of years now

She also said she would get things moving.

That was 6 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 tehbaggins

Going quick in Kildare.

Application handed in for a first-time license in Kildare on March 30, grant letter arrived today.

Ya gun safe ! Sorry if a habbit of calling it gun box ....

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

While only tangential to shooting, an application for renewal of an authorisation to hold deactivated or blank firing firearms, submitted 5 weeks before expiration, has only been replied to 1 week before expiration, excuse being "not in the office", with an addendum that they will try to put it through as soon as possible.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Another week passes by and still no sign of my substitution...... I believe that's 9 weeks now 😡

I'm at week 9 also and still no progress after emailing/calling my FO.

The whole process is incredibly frustrating and disconcerting.

Where in the country are you?

I sware what there doing is letting the work load pile up!! Besides firearms licences been saught I'm sure there is is plenty of other people waiting on verious paperwork and when questions are asked as to why this has happened they will be quick enough to use the "short staffed" and be whining about the absenteeism/ sick leave and retirements etc so they get more staff to sort the problem that they let build!

Its absolutely crazy that lads waiting on simple substitutions are waiting as long as lads for first time applications !!

Il soon be approaching 3 months wait for a simple sub that could be done in 3 days !!

You’ve hit the nail on the head .. if I’d known a sub would have taken as long I’d have just applied for a new license and kept the 2 guns would have been the same timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Got my renewal after 58 days.

In fairness, the station have lost their civilian who was brilliant for assessing the application and checking everything ( I handed my renewal to a Garda on the desk and it might as well have been the plans for the space shuttle) and they also have a new FO who, I know, has about 10 other roles as well AND we have a new Super.

Just happy that I got the renewal before licence expired at the end of May and hopefully things will speed up in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭CplCurley

Waiting since January!!! Any way I can push this? I called the station but from experience if you call more than once you end up waiting an extra 2 months ...... retaliation is alive and well in East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭BSA International

Are you in NARGC? They will make representations on your behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

PLEASE NOTE THE BOLD/ITALICS in the legislation below.

Applications for, and form and effect of, firearm certificates.

(9) A decision on an application for a firearm certificate or its renewal shall be given within 3 months from the date on which the applicant submitted a completed application form.

Appeal to District Court.

15A.— (1) An appeal may be made to the District Court by a person aggrieved by any of the following decisions made by an issuing person:

(a) an issuing person—

(i) who is required under section 3(9), 4A(7) or 10(4F) to decide on an application within a specified period, and

(ii) who does not so decide,

is deemed to have decided to refuse to grant the application,

(b) the applicant is deemed to have received notice of the decision on the expiration of that period, and

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

67 days waiting in kerry on a like for like substitution 🙃

some joke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've a licence out since November last year. I'm still waiting for the renewal. I was told about 3 weeks ago that it's on the way but no sign of it yet.

Wait till ya hear this one !!

I took a lad with me down to the local firearms dealer around the same time as I decided on my hw97kt he bought a fx dreamline

I in my haste to get my substitute sorted quickly i went asap to the local barracks with my paper work which my buddy submitted his at least 2 weeks later .

He shows me today at work that he has been granted his licence now bare in mind he is a first time applicant and he has his license before I have my substitution ffs I'm delighted for him but I'm furious that I'm still waiting on a simple sub!!

I just cant get me head around this B/S

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

2 renewals and a update to EU pass, I asked the FO if possible to process it quickly, to apply for the NI visitors pass.

I only had to wait 5mts and 1 week, oh and a .22 rifle mag limit of 5 rounds, because I have 5 rd mags, if I buy a 10 rd mag they will update the license, that will probably only take a couple of months.

Something needs to change!

The current system is archaic and requires immediate modernising. A sub/renewal should be almost instantaneous.

• Advertisement

Just received my grant letter today. 12 weeks total turn around.

Advertisement