Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

Nice article here and about time some in the media are raising the issue about the nanny state.

Ian O’Doherty: Why can’t the nanny state leave the Irish public alone to enjoy a pint in peace? (msn.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Astonishing really that MUP and this shite of labels on alcohol have got the go ahead considering we seem to have changed our relationship with alcohol.

As I said. All about control.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

"In Singapore, eg, they are required to serve some food along with alcohol, often in the form of a mini satay kebab."

Hahaha this is 100% false! But honestly, it is one of the funniest / better fake news I have seen about Singapore! This will be have to be quoted around the office today - Esp. as most were triple parked last night due to Wednesday night drinks promotions and not even a peanut in sight!!

(Do not mean to make light the rest of your sentiment or the subject matter).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

Speaking of ex alchos, let's not forget Frances Black and Shane Ross and their stupid crusades.

"We weren't able to handle having a few drinks so we will do our level best to stop anyone else enjoying it too"

Sweet Jesus you'd want patience 😑

The issue I have with these debates and reports is they are never balanced. It never includes the average person who likes a few beers at the weekend. It's always the recovering Alchos who couldn't stop once they had started. The real ironic thing about MUP and some of the supporters is I guarantee the price of alcohol was never an obstacle for Frances, Christy or Shane. So they are talking through their hole. They had an addiction and would have had it regardless of the price.

I fully expect reports to come out over the next few years showing an increase in drug use amongst the younger generation. But any argument that this is related to the MUP will be shouted down by AAI and it's supporters.

Unfortunately MUP is here to stay and the chances are the it will only rise. Has any country ever reversed it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It'd drive ya to drink.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

This weekend. It'll drive me to Newry.

Or I might wait for the Junes Childrens Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭GSBellew

500ml cans are available in the UK, many of the off-sales in border regions would offer both the 500ml and 440ml versions of the same beers but the 500ml cans are the UK ones, eg 500ml Carlsberg would be 3.8% vs the 4.3% ROI 500ml version, there are also pint can 568ml versions available, can't remember off-hand what the price premium was for the extra 68ml, but I don't think it was particularly good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,170 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it's been a while, but I am sure I heard Shane Ross talk about the MUP and what a waste of time it was. He was talking about about when he wanted a drink, the price of it was not going to stand in his way, or anything else. One of the first sensible things I heard him say. I believe it was on the Pat Kenny Show (one of the only hosts in the country with common sense)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

That's correct, some of the border off licenses will stock 500ML cans but generally the supermarkets (where you'll probably get the better value) will be 440ML or there are a handful of 568ML versions there too (price wise agreed generally not worth the premium). I think Stella, Carlsberg, Kronenbourg, Tennents are some of the 568ML cans I've seen. I've rarely seen 500ML cans in the likes of Sainsburys, Tescos, Lidl up there. Not sure why they don't stock them.

Another important point you raised is to check percentages as Carlsberg up there is 3.8% (which I don't mind, its not too bad actually and its lighter). Fosters in UK is now 3.7% and it tastes it. It only changed very recently and I wouldn't recommend it. The border off licenses in the likes of Jonesborough stock both UK and Irish versions I think so if you want the 50cl/Irish version of a drink their a good choice

• Advertisement

Anyone with half a brain knows that the price isn't a factor. It will push the down the recorded figures for people buying alcohol in the republic but won't take into account where else people are getting it or what they have replaced it with. But AAI are happy with this as their agenda is to control people. Amazing that they have an issue with the zero alcohol products too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Curiously I have revisited my post here from a few days ago. I wonder did Dunnes see it?

Carling 15 pack was €23 in Dunnes on Monday. It is now "on offer" for €20.85. Likewise the Heineken 15 pack was just under €30 (from memory €29.95), it is now "on offer" for €27.

One of the promises about MUP was it would not raise the price of premium brands extensively only affecting the cheaper stuff but yet here we have evidence of blatant profiteering where cheaper cans (Carling) were inflated well above the MUP level, likewise the Heineken. Goes to further show what a sham the whole thing is, and will affect both the "premium" Heineken drinker just as much as the others.

I remember all of that being said during the lead up to MUP that bulk buying slabs of premium beers wouldn't be overly impacted and that they were trying limit the single units and cheaper brands.

I've said all along that I had no major issue with single cans being sold for €1 or less being banned. However the slabs at €25 or €30 euros shouldn't have been impacted.

Vodaks, GIns or whatever haven't been hit too much. You'll do a lot more damage with a few bottles of that than a few tins of Heineken.

It's a pure myth to suggest that the supermarkets weren't in favour of this. They know the Irish will buy the drink whatever the prices. MUP just means they increase their profits. Like Scotland this will have a minimal impact and cross border purchasing won't be factored into the studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes they have 500ml everywhere, 440s aren't really mainstream only for craft beers. I was able to buy pint cans of Stella for a pound a go up until I left London a couple of months ago. 24hrs 7 days a week too. This place is ridiculous, you don't even seem to be able to buy single cans here any more, unless it's some craft stuff for 4 quid a can. All in 4 packs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Interesting research

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not clear to me from that:

How exactly was the risk for moderate consumption established?

Nowehere does it actually track people who drank one bottle of wine.

Or perhaps you can show otherwise?

I don't actually see that anywhere in the study.

And also, did they correctly balance the risk that different cancers occur at different rates.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

These studies of very low risk events are by their nature rather dubious. e.g. the dose-effect relationship for high doses of radiation on an individual (Hiroshima, Nagasaki, nuclear workers in serious accidents) is quite well known but the effects of a tiny bit of radiation on an entire population, not so much. You're looking for a needle in a million haystacks.

Some theorise that minute radiation doses can actually have beneficial effects but it's all but impossible to prove either way. Same with studies which appear to show a benefit from drinking small amounts of alcohol, but of course this excludes people who can't drink due to illness so the studied population is by definition very slightly healthier than the population as a whole.

And when a cancer occurs, with very very few exceptions (like skin cancer and sun exposure, or mesothelioma and asbestos) it doesn't come with a little label on the scan with what caused it written on it. Liver cancer is linked with alcohol alright but isn't it also strongly linked with hepatitis?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I think given the tiny increase in risk that most people will choose to live their lives. What's the report trying to achieve? Are they advocating that Alcohol control go in the same direction of smoking? Apples and Oranges really.

So 1 bottle of wine = 5 fags for a man a week? Jaysus wept.

Yet another laughable argument being produced by the Anti drink headbangers.

I didn't write the paper, or peer review it. Feel free to take up your queries with the author on Twitter. I'd imagine the risks of moderate consumption of alcohol are very, very well established in existing research, but I'm sure he'll be happy to confirm that for you.

You copy and pasted it here though. So you are open to being questioned on the insignificance of it and it's findings.

• Advertisement

I pasted a link to a tweet that references the paper. You can question all you like. I'm not going to engage with the Boards experts on the minutia of the paper that has gone through an established peer review process.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cop out answer. It would mean discussion of any such article is not allowed.

You linked the article but now won't engage in discussion of its contents.

Says it all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Strange coming onto a forum full of opinions and then saying you won't engage with anyone. Peculiar.

But that's the modus operandi of the anti drink brigade. Don't enter into a logical debate. Just produce reports with tenuous enough links between moderate alcohol consumption and forms of cancer. 1 bottle of wine per week might equate to a 1% increase in the risk of cancer. Or it might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's an article not a study, there's a lot of theoreticals in there, you can't discount it but it's about the same as comparing air quality of the countryside and city and then linking the poorer air to cancers, basically true in theory but a fair stretch all the same, many of these rely on a little hysteria to secure their funding too (did we learn anything from Covid researchers???).

I didn't say anything about discussion not being allowed. I said that I'm choosing not to engage in the Boards experts nitpicking of an expert, peer reviewed paper. It's a purely personal decision.

Now who does that remind me of?

mod

don’t post links if you’re not willing to discuss them. Thanks

Ironically we now have worse air quality in many small towns in Ireland than in large cities due to widespread burning of turf and smoky coal... This is a real issue causing thousands of premature deaths every year but there are no health warnings on a bag of coal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

It looks like the market has settled down exactly as expected.

The cheapest beers have move up to the MUP minimum.

Beers that were operating at or below that level pre-MUP (1.70-2.00) have moved up another notch to the 2.50-3.00 level.

I know inflation explains some of it but not 50%

Labeling discussion on Pat Kenny now. He is tearing this one to shreds and she has no comeback at all. **** comical these goons are getting such a platform in Ireland.

This one is a disaster. Just a clear anti alcohol agenda.

Exports and producers should have to label their products too. But this one doesn't seem to think so. No it's just for John and Mary in Athlone on a Friday evening at home having a bottle of wine. Oh and pubs should be exempt also. Hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't know why you keep banging on about wanting exporters to put these warnings on labels. As I've said to you before, when you export you have to abide by the labelling rules of the country you are exporting to. It's not a difficult concept.

Advertisement