Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

By any metric you apply beer is not cheap in Ireland.

Prices in the six counties, prices in the rest of the UK, prices in most of Europe.

All of the above are cheaper.

Your arguments do not stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

True, but in my beer drinking days I avoided the cheapest too. Pish is still pish, alcohol or no. Beer is still cheap in comparison.

We're not in those countries though, are we? In comparison to other products in the Republic of Ireland, I would consider it cheap.

People are very defensive of their cheap alcohol.

Surely there's not some exceptionalism applying to us that we need to pay more than all our neighbours.

Ordinary beer has gone up by 70% since January 2022 and you think it is still cheap.

With respect it is not what you consider that matters the plain fact is its not cheap.

With respect your opinion is worth the same as mine. I think it's cheap. You don't. Opinions are funny like that. We pay more than our neighbours for most things. Beer is very low on the list of things we need to reduce the price on first.

And it seems my opinion is the prevailing one, because I see little to no push outside of this thread of people against it. Most don't care it affects them so little. And that brings the conversation back around in circles.

It's not just my opinion it is an indisputable fact that beer is not cheap in Ireland.

It's not about opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thats why we point to facts such as comparisons with our neighbour and EU peers and what it cost pre MUP.

The price difference as a percentage is well out of line with those other 'most things'.

Your post contradicts itself. There are lots of complaints across boards about the price of 'most things' doesnt mean people think they are cheap. So you have no grounds for saying your opinion is the prevailing one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Very defensive over an opinion. My grounds for saying it's a prevailing opinion is, as I stated, that I hear no one talking about it. Only in this thread. But it's still just an opinion. But I'm not trying to tell other people their opinions are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why dont you ask them?

Very defensive? No I think you are confused about what is an opinion, a statement of fact, and an opinion about opinions. You have made an assumption. There could be other reasons they arent talking about it. That doesnt seem to have occured to you. That doesnt mean they think alcohol here is cheap.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is no cheap beer anymore due to MUP.

Hold on a second now.

For years on this thread I have argued that the price of off license booze pre MUP was very cheap relative to what it used to be, back in the 90s for example.

Yet I was constantly shouted down by the same crowd that avoided the point I was making and was told it was not cheap because "bla, bla bla you can get a bottle of such and such in Germany for x, or Spain for y, etc etc "

But are you now admitting that beer was cheap in Ireland pre MUP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I recognise the username and I'm fairly sure I never shouted you down.

Posters here, myself included did indeed point out lower prices in Germany, Spain and most of the rest of Europe.

The prices in other countries are now even lower by comparison to here thanks to MUP.

Ordinary 4.3% beer has increased by 70% in price since before MUP so it's fair to say it was cheap then compared to now.

That doesn't mean it was cheap then compared to other countries.

That's not really any help at all.

If you have point to make I'll consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Referencing Orwell is a bit of a cliché, but he had a great phrase "Where words part ways with meaning".

This thread is definitely an example of words and meaning having a messy divorce. There's posters arguing that a price enforced under threat of prosecution by the state is "the market price" and that the actual price of something has no bearing on whether or not it's "cheap". The 2nd most expensive alcohol in the EU can be called "cheap" because they declare it to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That's a new one on me. Is it from one of his books?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's in Politics and the English Language, though I mangled it slightly, the real quote is "Words and meaning have parted company".

He would be accused of being a pedant or a Grammar Nazi if he was on Boards. It seems that "dumbing down" was a thing even back in 1946.

Orwell chooses five passages of text which "illustrate various of the mental vices from which we now suffer." The samples are: by Harold Laski ("five negatives in 53 words"), Lancelot Hogben (mixed metaphors), an essay by Paul Goodman[2] on psychology in the July 1945 issue of Politics ("simply meaningless"), a communist pamphlet ("an accumulation of stale phrases") and a reader's letter in Tribune (in which "words and meaning have parted company"). From these, Orwell identifies a "catalogue of swindles and perversions" which he classifies as "dying metaphors", "operators or verbal false limbs", "pretentious diction" and "meaningless words". (See clichesprolixitypeacock terms and weasel words.)

Orwell notes that writers of modern prose tend not to write in concrete terms but use a "pretentious Latinized style" (compare Anglish). He claims writers find it is easier to gum together long strings of words than to pick words specifically for their meaning—particularly in political writing, where Orwell notes that "[o]rthodoxy ... seems to demand a lifeless, imitative style". Political speech and writing are generally in defence of the indefensible and so lead to a euphemistic inflated style.

Orwell criticises bad writing habits which spread by imitation. He argues that writers must think more clearly because thinking clearly "is a necessary first step toward political regeneration". He later emphasises that he was not "considering the literary use of language, but merely language as an instrument for expressing and not for concealing or preventing thought".

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Malbac

Luckily Guinness is 5 Euro in one of my local pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Minister Donnelly needs to calrify how this will be implemented in pubs. If its on my beer can or bottle it should be plastered across pint glasses too. Its that simple.

What a bunch of do gooder nanny state morons. Ruining anything and everything they can.

They now need to after the food industry and tackle mcdonalds etc.

Thank christ we live on an island with a second market. Im done buying beer in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How's that pint glass investigation going? found any sources to help understand how wrong you were?

I admitted my mistake, just waiting for you to be an adult here too.

So you agree? If warnings are printed on cans and bottles they should be clearly visible when enjoying a pint in the pubs at an extortionate cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

75c in Euro2, which is still vastly overpriced for a can of sugary water which costs less to make than the can it's in

Mass market beers cost very little to make also, industrial scale brewing is an extremely profitable business and MUP means their profits increase even more.

Life ain't always empty.

I wouldn't encourage them to plaster pubs with warning signs just to get one over on the publicans.

I know they sold us out over MUP but two wrongs don't make a right

Brussels won't be able to order us to put anything on pint glasses, or other glasses, including plastic "glasses". But no doubt the idea is already being circulated on the internet. Their rules regarding liquids sold in open containers for immediate consumption recognise reality, not the fantasy being promoted here. The amount of liquid is only required to be a nominal measure.

The industry has three years to come up with solutions. If they wanted, and it doesn't already exist, they could invent a machine which would scan and analyse drinks in glasses, and print out a label to attach to the glass. Think something like the size of a microwave oven. But I can't see them doing it just to satisfy cranks, when the regulations do not make them do it.

Nothing to do with cranks. The home drinker is getting shafted as usual with this shite. I'd argue that most of the issues you see at the weekends in large towns and cities is directly related to alcohol being purchased in the pubs and not the lad sitting at home with a 6 pack. it seems to me a bit hypocritical that we wouldn't try to tackle where the majority of problems actually occur but hit the off license sales again. Every pub you go into now has branded glasses depending on what you are drinking. So why can't they be printed with exactly the same warning that cans and bottles come with? Nonsense to suggest they can't and shouldn't.

You know what will happen next? The warnings will have to be printed in a minimum size so it can be clearly visible.

Also make no mistake. AAI's intention is to go down the route of cigarette packing and have generic packaging. In other words a bottle of gin and a bottle of wine will have to look exactly the same.

When they aren't happy with that it'll be state run off licenses which close at 5pm. Minimum age will be pushed to 21.

What I'm asking is where will it all stop? I think all of the above is a probability with this crowd. AAI have an agenda against the home drinker and off license sales which doesn't seem to extend to licensed premises for some reason. That is as clear as day.

It will stop when you stop making up stuff in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,915 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Posters only for pubs according to the smug minister on the news just now.

Donnelly is spineless so it's hardly a shock.

As I've said AAI have an agenda with the off license sales and market. This won't end here. It'll be generic packaging next. Within 5 years I'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

no wonder all this is happening when you have spoofing morons like harris/donnelly there

Advertisement