Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching about Gender

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, the State obviously. The state does not promote a religion or set course content for religion in the classroom - the patrons of the individual school do. Pretty obvious, I would have thought....?

None of the above - I don't need to in order to have an opinion. I did used to work with kids as a teaching assistant and I have been a step-parent, but I'm not that that makes any difference. So we can nip this little cop-out in the bud early.

Same with parents being the fundamental educators: that doesn't absolve them of actually educating. if they opt out, they have to make alternative arrangments or teach the kids themselves (generally speaking) - the State still has overview and still decides what the kids are taught. And if the State puts this on the curriculum, then the parents have to make sure the kids get the information. Same with any other subject.

Now back to the question you're avoiding: do you think that the State will promote transgender to children and that the course content will include information about puberty blockers and surgery, yes or no?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

I'm already employed by the department and I'm not inquisitve I'm looking for consistency in an ideological viewpoint that lacks any. What exactly would you add to the sex ed program and what science would you be basing it on? The fact is you couldnt answer half those questions yourself because you dont know the answers.

We have been teaching children that gender stereotyps are no longer relevant for years in school Ireland today is million miles away from Ireland 20 years ago children no matter their sex can play any sports apply for any jobs and be and act how they wish within the constraints of a civilised society. Mary does not need to come out as non binary because she likes Pearl Jam and hates dresses. Gender ideology reinforces stereotypoes it doesnt break them down.

Some people may feel they were born in the wrong body? Are they not born in the worng body so? is it just a feeling?

As a matter of interest have you children of your own in primary school?

Parents are the primary educators of the child this is enshrined in our constitution. My children will be 100% opting out of anything related to gender ideology, it has no basis in science and is an ideolgical viewpoint there is no mandate on the state from the parents of Ireland to teach about gender ideology. Trans activist groups like TENI and Belong to are responsible for lobbying for its inclusion on the curriculum.

So tell me, as primary educator, what arrangements are you going to make to educate your children? Or are you going to leave them to find out on their own behind your back in the assumption that your own enforced ideaology will suffice?

Explain to me what my own enforced ideology is? Your ideology has no scientific basis. It has no long term studies where children have been affirmed socially medically and surgically.

• Advertisement

The ideaology that transpeople don't (or shouldn't) have freedom to exist and are immoral and that teenagers should not have rights to information.

Same as homophobia 20-odd years ago.

My 'ideaology' is that education is power and if they can't handle learning that people are different, they're notvready for a state exam.

How are they going to.form an opinion without am education?

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

I believe that trans people exist. Gender dysphoria is a medical diagnosis, people with gender dysphoria have to meet certain criteria to have a medical diagnosis.

Unfortunately what has happened is anyone can now self identify as trans and self diagnose themselves surely you can see the problem with that in terms of people suffering with mental health comorbidites having a genuine belief that being born in the wrong body is the reason they are so unhappy without exploring the other issues.

As an adult I think if you suffer from gender dysphoria and are trans you should be free to live your life as you please like all of us are, my issue is with the indoctrination of an entire generation of children that there is a scientific basis for gender ideology and the advertisement that transitioning will solve their problems when no scientific studies say that. We are not protecting our children.

I have children. I teach children.

Conversion therapy is now being described as psychotherapy for children who say thay are trans. Regardless of their mental health comorbidites. Imagine talk therapy with a young child to discover if there are other issues at play is now called conversion therapy. We know from the tavistock data that children with ASD and children who are victims of sexual abuse are more likely to come out as trans. Imagine affirming this belief in these children after a consult of a couple of hours by tavistock staff who are either pushing this ideology or pressured into affirming these children. Basic child safeguarding says the adults in the room have to protect children from harmful things and gender ideology is harmful, it's far more harmful to vulnerable children.

Education also in your reply suggests settled science. None of this is settled science. They are no long term studies in relation to children that are being affirmed. Again we have gone from 40 to 1800 referrals for girls to tavistock in a decade. We have 0 long term follow up studies in fact tavistock have 0 studies other than proving that those who receive puberty blockers early 98% go on to cross sex hormones that is medicalisation for life for the 98% when up to 90% of those in previous studies who went through puberty reverted to their natal sex.

But I suppose what the hell would I know I'm just a big transphobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well its understandable and reasonable why people would consider you transphobic with all your disturbingly negative viewpoints of trans people.

Even just in this post that can clearly be seen

Suggesting that being trans is all about "suffering"

Suggesting lots of people came out as trans but are not really trans just because their mental ill health was never discussed

Suggesting that people only come out as trans because they have been sexually abused or are autistic

Suggesting that being trans isn't real but that people are "indoctrinated" into being trans

The idea that people are "born in the wrong body" is also deeply transphobic. Its labelling peoples bodies as "wrong" and encouraging mental ill health

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I was going to list a few examples of transphobia in your posts, but i see I've been beaten to it, so I'll.just add the following posts and point out the bias and ignorance in each one (which is frankly dangerous if this truly is your job):

What is a child's reference point for definitely being trans? Is it that a girl likes playing soccer or a boy likes dolls?

Incredibly ignorant: seriously not knowing the difference between something you are and something you do.

At this point youn don't nt even know what gender is.

Explain how brain washing an entire generation of children form the age of 5 into believing men can actually become biological women

Bias: just because you don't like it, it's 'brainwashing' - it's not even on the syllabus how could it be anything to an entire generation of kids who are barely able to read?

Ignorance: men factually can't become biological women.

On top.of not knowing what gender is, now you don't know what transitioning changes...

If you tell small children that boys and girls can be born in the wrong body then because they lack the critical thinking of adults they will believe you

Ignorance: lots of kids already know this and understand it. And even if you were right, it just proves the need for education

looking for consistency in an ideological viewpoint that lacks any

Baseless accusation

My children will be 100% opting out of anything related to gender ideology,

Bias: they will, or you will on their behalf? Do they get a say? And are you in danger of passing your phobia on to them?

How about finding out what think instead of dictating to then what to think.

They are not you!!

it has no basis in science and is an ideolgical 

Ignorance: Science is responsible for the medication and surgeries that transition entails - how could this be possible if it had "no basis'.

(Also contradicts your first paragraph: I believe that trans people exist. Gender dysphoria is a medical diagnosis, people with gender dysphoria have to meet certain criteria to have a medical diagnosis.

Odd belief in something you believe has "no basis in science".

There is no way in hell that all that came from rational unbiased thinking and balanced research on the subject.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

@briangriffin - just to balance this out: if there was some kind of pro-trans agenda being pushed on kids via education, I'd be with you 100% - but I'm basing this on the idea that it'll be balanced information and respect rather than conspiracy and detailed information about how to do it and where to got the hormones.

If a kid did present as trans (or was considering it) first port of call for the parents should be the family GP - not a classroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So you are not a parent? No side stepping the issue I'm afraid - are you familiar with Article 42 of the constitution and related parts??

"The State acknowledges that the primary and natural educator of the child is the Family and guarantees to respect the inalienable right and duty of parents to provide, according to their means, for the religious and moral, intellectual, physical and social education of their children."

Can't be clearer than that. Parents make decisions with their children in their best interests and parents/ families should be the arbiters of whether the materials you want should be brought into the classroom. There's nothing to stop parents dealing with these matters in the privacy of their own homes.

I have done no such thing - I have suggested that parents should be widely consulted and let them decide by majority if they wish to see such material in the school classroom. Parents & families should deal with such matters in their own context - no need at all to bring it into a school curriculum.

As i said to Brian, that doesn't mean you can opt out of everything you see fit and just not educate them - you still have to operate in the same framework and you still you still have to make sure kids get lessons. And if that means social education, so be it. Would you rather they grew up ignorant or getting their information from an unvetted source you had no control over?

Also - Martina Burke is a parent - and two of her kids wound up in jail and a thrid destroyed her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I opted-out of religion classes and activities as well as Irish in Primary/secondary school. The latter because we lived abroad for 3 years when I was 9, the former because my mother was adamant that Catholic ideology wouldn't be pushed on me so that I would be free to make an informed choice on faith (if any) later in life.

During those classes I went to the library or got a start on homework. There's no need to remove a child entirely/home school as you seem to be suggesting. They just don't partake in that class.

This is no different.

Well no - because religion is not a part of the curriculum and the State does make it mandatory. Irish is, but you got an exemption: that's not avialable to everyone. During one of the "should Irish be optional" debate threads, it emerged that you still have to study Irish - even if you're homeschooled - until the Leaving Cert, if you don't meet the criteria for an exemption (and it isn't easy).

So whlie the family is primary educator, it works within the framework set by the State. Which, I know, sounds like a contradiction (and is) but that's something you's need to take up with whoever wrote the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

IM not sure your entirely right about religion. At second level they can opt out.

Religious education can be studied for the JC. You don't have to believe. World religions etc

Deleted

Well, the poster specifcially stated his mother didn't want a "catholic ideoalogy" pushed on him, so I'm assuming it was a non-secular course on the table. It can be studied, yes, but there's no law or article stating that a child must study religion at any age.

From a medical perspective, the appropriate determinant of sex is gender identity.” Adkins is a professor at Duke University School of Medicine and the director of the Duke Center for Child and Adolescent Gender Care (which opened in 2015).

Adkins argues that gender identity is not only the preferred basis for determining sex, but “the only medically supported determinant of sex.” Every other method is bad science, she claims: “It is counter to medical science to use chromosomes, hormones, internal reproductive organs, external genitalia, or secondary sex characteristics to override gender identity for purposes of classifying someone as male or female.”

This is trans ideology. Science is being thrown out the window.

It's an over reaction to homophobia and racism. Basically liberals are thus rolling over and accepting this?

The above was expert testimony.

This below is how it's taught to kids

The ginger bread mab

There’s “gender identity,” which is “how you, in your head, define your gender, based on how much you align (or don’t align) with what you understand to be the options for gender.” The graphic lists “4 (of infinite)” possibilities for gender identity: “woman-ness,” “man-ness,” “two-spirit,” or “genderqueer.”

So I'm your head now qualifies as science. We slay the church and it's metaphysics only for this new metaphysical beast to rise up!!

• Advertisement

Again - what makes you think either is going to be the path chosen by the State?

Adkins seems to think careful consideration before transition is important for teenagers (which I would agree with) but that it shouldn't be banned and information should be available.

One of the nation's leading medical experts on transgender teens says the bill could increase their risk of domestic violence or death.

"They're trying to promote fear into people that we are providing therapies that are injuring people, when, in actuality, it's life-saving treatment," Adkins said. "It's huge."

https://www.wral.com/story/top-transgender-doctor-warns-teen-treatment-ban-could-be-deadly/19618762/

So not sure what you're trying to say here...?

But again: we're talking about education and awarenes, not transitioning - so why this is relevant, I don't know...?

You miss the point entirely.

It's a not proven scientifically at all.

He is a leading advocate and if you can't see the inherant contradictions in this movement then you are beyond hope.

It should be nowhere near kids

Without what is a psychological science being proven totally it ain't no kid should be near this.

What other psychlogical treatment makes you sterile??

If you had any real familiarity with teenagers you must know they look for psylogical harbours. They are very volatile

It's a psychological issue and it's relatively new science.

I doubt you'd allow your own kid to make himself or herself sterile

Should we have made kids aware of repressed memory syndrome which has been proved to be bullshit

At one stage homosexuality was considered a psychlogical disorder should that have been taught to kids in the 1960s??

Deanna Wilson Atkins (if that's who we're talking about) is actually a "she".

Beyond that, you're not making a point very well - are you talking about this Gingerbread group? If so, what's her connection with them? And what's their connection with the State educating about transgender issues? And before I even get to grips with that you're talking about steilisation of teenagers, then repressed memory syndrome, and teaching homosexuality to kids in the 1960s?

Are you saying that we shouldn't teach abouttrans now for the same resaon we didn;t teach about homosexuality in the 60s? Are we that hung-up?

Seroiusly - what the f are you on about??

You're all over the place her, and frankly, I'm confused. And I think I'm out at this point. There may have been a valid point in here -but it's impossible to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

It’s absolutely ridiculous in my opinion that transgenderism is being taught to young children in school. It’s so bloody obvious to me that impressionable, uncertain, rebellious etc children will become “trans” as a result. Mate of mine’s daughter has decided she is a boy all of a sudden. Yeah…sure you are…

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The left movement will migrate on to the next thing in a few years. It should be up to each individual school what they wish to teach. Parents can decide of they want a normal traditional school or a school which teaches what the LGBTQ believe.

Who says so? Just because you think primary school children / early teens should be 'educated' as you see it about matters concerning gender doesn't equate to any reality for parents. They can choose to or not or frame an answer in any way they choose. The vast majority of parents have the best interests of their individual children at heart and do what's best for them. Religious instruction should be removed out of schools and left likewise to parents and parish.

I'm saying that happens if it's brought in and made compulsory learning.

if it's not - fair enough - but how are you going to stop your kids finding out on their own and either challenging your view or bullying? (Hypothetical question)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭amacca

Well in fairness I experienced a fair amount of completely unproven horseshit in a school setting when I was there...or at least a complete butchering of the science if there was any to begin with do that wouldn't be anything new

Take mindfulness....everyone was a mindfulness zombie for a couple of years

Then there was wellbeing...all I heard was wellbeing for a couple years

Then there were the in-services and nonsense about "learning styles"...

Very little actual hard evidence backing that nonsense up yet teachers had it forced down their throats because...well I suppose its an attractive idea, it seems like it could be right and it's nice to have something to blame other than your own lack of effort or aptitude without working hard if you you are not doing to well at something ..."oh yeah I'm a visual learner but that teacher didn't teach me the way I can learn" etc...I always smile to myself when I see or hear some person (probably fully believing the nonsense) wax lyrical about learning styles.

All bunkum imo.....that's not to say I have a definite opinion on this topic yet but it's not like everything taught to kids and indeed teachers has a sound basis in fact/research/science or is evidence based.

In my experience there's always someone pushing an agenda, always a new fad every year etc...schools are reactive...they always reflect the way society is going with a bit of a time delay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement