Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Your holding Westminster up to a high standard there. I'm sure they would ditch NI in a heart beat if it was not so many that wanted to stay. look what they did in the Islas Malvinas. The Brits will protect Brits no matter what. It is not as simple as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

If you say so but another party could have been formed or another method of protest found to settle that other issue

Voting in a separatist party in a landslide will keep separatism on the table, inadvertently or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

But your conflating voting for a party vs what the party has a mandate they think they have. SNP voters ones I have spoken to just vote SNP not to have conservatives. It's not the same and they will not vote for Independence. It's a classic example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Yet, the poll today shows that 56% of Scots would vote for independence, but only 53% for the SNP.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

We don't, we finish what we started a 100 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

A unified Ireland would see a lot of pandering to the unionists so much so that you would question if it would be worth it. I think unionists would make up something like 1/7th or 1/8th of the total island population. The flag and anthem, etc would be changed for 1/7 of the population.

Look at the situation now, it is roughly 50/50 in Northern Ireland and they wouldn't change the flag of the country or football team to appease 50% of the population yet they would expect a new Irish government to play by their rules in a unified Ireland when they would only be around 15% of the total population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Yes, but that 7th equates to "potentially" 50% voting no, hence they're in a position to bargain. They'd probably ask for stuff they don't even want out of spite, or possibly to dissuade the Yes vote in the south.

Note also, there is potential that, that 50% could rise (or fall) but is likely to rise once things like state pensions, benefits, services that will or will not be affected are placed on the table.

NI has an average age of 40, people that are starting to think about retirement plans. If I was in their shoes I certainly wouldn't vote for "uncertainty" given the current global economic climate.

Genuinely I can never see it happening, there's peace on our Island, that's all that matters, so why change anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Would it involve anymore pandering than is likely to be involved in accommodating “ the new to the parish “ folks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Dunno why anyone would even want a "united Ireland" , the two parts of the island have been apart for so long now that we are two different peoples. The cost to the South of integrating the North would be enormous and would result in increased taxes as well as huge social and policing problems. Leave Britain to finance the North, they took it so now they can keep it and pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

All arguments that would have the entire island still part of the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not about wanting it, it's about the fact that it is, whether people like it or not, the ultimate destination of the GFA and is going to happen.

partition was always going to fail, it failed decades ago, and reunification is unavoidable.

the costs to the south would be small, the main cost of northern ireland is the debt britain has put on to it, which is it's problem, and the subsidization of both it's contribution to british institutions, and the cost of british institutions loaded on to it.

th social and policing problems would be small, over all unionism isn't going to resort to anything as they know they would lose and achieve nothing, and belligerent unionism is in it's death throws anyway.

britain won't be keeping it, if northern ireland does vote for reunification britain will be forcing us to take them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's not the ultimate destination of the GFA.

And neither is the GFA fixed in stone for ever more.

it is and it is

reunification is the end game, it's unavoidable, it's happening, it's a case of when not if.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are wrong. Whilst most (or almost most) might be in favour of reunification, this is not the end destination for the GFA. As has been pointed out many times before here, more and more in NI are seeing themselves as neither British or Irish so as time goes on, you may not ever see a majority favouring reunification in a poll.

Anyhow, maybe you can show us the line in the GFA that confirms your claim.

I am familiar with the text of the GFA and nowhere does it say any of that. Yes, it was spun a little that way to convince the exclusionary nationalists to get on board, but it is nowhere in the GFA.

I'd sit somewhere in the middle of you two in my interpretation; it is the end game in the, 'we only need to win once, you need to win every time' sort of way, but that does of course ignore the possibility that demographic changes won't ever lead to a majority favouring Unification over remaining part of the UK before the GFA is amended or replaced etc.

Well, that is the conclusion I am coming to. We are coming to a stage where neither of the GFA options can or will ever command a majority in a vote. If there was a vote tomorrow to remain in the Union with the other option completely open, I would see the Union option defeated. Similarly, if there was a vote tomorrow to have a united Ireland with the other option completely open, I would see the United Ireland option defeated too.

At the moment, there is no third option, but something different to the two traditional options is what is required in the medium to longer term. That menu is large with everything from a united Ireland in the Commonwealth to a fully independent Northern Ireland with varieties of joint authority, federalism and con-federalism across the continuum of possibilities.

The issue is that there isn't a third option that could command a majority of support either, Blanch.

You repeatedly assert with absolute confidence that Unification is a pipe dream, yet propose solutions that have absolutely negligible support.

The middle ground is certainly growing, but even among that middle ground, support for anything you have proposed is practically non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Easiest option is to go county by county.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I have never said that there is a third option that could command a majority of support.

However, what if there was a third option that would be considered a decent second choice by one of the two extremes, appealed to a significant section of the middle ground, and didn't raise red flags with the other extreme? That would have a better chance of a majority in time than either of the current binary options. Allowing such a third option to emerge should be the target for those interested in real unification of people and not just their long-cherished exclusionary option.

• Advertisement

no that was just a claim from an individual who is against reunification.

regardless of what someone may see themself as or not, they are either irish or british, and even if northern irish did become a real reality as an identity, that is ultimately irish since northern ireland is not and won't ever be an independant state since it can't govern itself.

self-government has been tried in some form for 100 years and it hasn't worked, so we know ireland can only be part of another state.

there isn't and never will be a third option, especially one that will fit your requirements, none of the ones you have proposed are workable or viable.

reunification or remain in the union are the only 2 options available.

We've discussed it before, Blanch. I'm open to quite a few options beyond, 'Ireland absorbs NI and everything else goes on as before'. That wouldn't actually be my preference to begin with.

Some of your solutions are awkward halfway houses that I don't think could ever command substantial support, particularly your push around NI independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Aurelian

I've been thinking about that lately. Vote Fermanagh or Tyrone in and see how we can make that work...

The current awkward halfway house solution has worked for 25 years, and will probably work for another 25 before being replaced with a different halfway house solution.

A condominium is another potential solution, with hugely increased devolved powers close to independence overseen by joint authority with the joint authority having responsibility for human rights and foreign relations.

Binary thinking is outdated in the modern world.

The condominium solution has been proposed and rejected in the past; I think it's likely a bit too, 'worst of both worlds' to pick up much support myself.

Rejected by the UK in the past, it may come back on the agenda, and their position may have changed. The Protocol is in effect, a form of condominium.

it won't be coming back.

britain is unreliable as we can see and can't be trusted right now at least.

a very very long road back for the UK before it could be trusted such that something like that could even be proposed, not that it would actually work in reality.

ultimately, reunification or remain in the union are the only options and remain in the union is and hasn't worked really with northern ireland being starved of investment and being the poorest region in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Packrat

Going all around and back to the thread title: How can we integrate Unionism into a United Ireland?

The answer is - we can't, because it's at diametric odds with a United Ireland. It can't integrate.

Unionists could however continue to be Unionists but at the cost of accepting that their ideal will never come to pass.

That's too high a cost for many of them I'd imagine.

So we are left with 3 possibilities:

1 Status quo remains - the easiest one.

2 UI with a few hundred thousand VERY disgruntled Unionists trying their best to fxck it all up - constantly. Also some hardline Loyalists setting bombs and killing us occasionally.

3 Those who can't or won't accept a UI fcuk off elsewhere - Highly unlikely and highly unjust given how long they've lived where they live as part of the Union.

As someone who would very much like to see a UI and who thinks it would make ALL communities on this island more prosperous and successful, I find the options above equally depressing.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Advertisement