Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Presbyterian and COI are completely different are they not ?

Not really. Presbyterian, Pentecostals and Baptist are broadly similar but very different in a few small (but to them very important) ways (eg baptism, speaking in tongues), Church Of Ireland are Anglican but not as Anglican as Church Of England, Methodists are somewhere in between the other two groups being descended from CoE. They would all regard themselves under the Protestant banner, very distinct from RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How can you "guarantee" that there would be EU funding earmarked for NI development.

The Irish public are far behind the thinking in Europe. There is significant goodwill towards Ireland which is seen as a country that had embraced the EU and benefitted from it. However, that significant goodwill is also accompanied by a very widespread sense that it is now time for Ireland to repay Europe and help the poorer countries emulate its success by subsidising their growth.

Putting out the begging bowl for NI not only runs counter to that latter sense but also risks destroying the goodwill which will be needed for political issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

As an under developed region, NI is a region that can benefit from funding although the rest of the country does not, the objective being to bring it to the same level of success that allowed the rest of the country become a significant contributor.

"Guarantee" is probably a bit strong. But if we found ourselves in a Unified Ireland, I suspect the EU would do everything in their power to ensure that it was a success following Brexit - they wouldn't want a population to become poorer because they had left the UK and indirectly re-joined the EU. And the moneys involved would not be huge in the grand scheme of things (things being EU budgeting).

Is it under-developed compared to Romania?

Romania will receive €31.5 bn over seven years - €4.5 bn per year.

The population of Romania is 19m, while the population of Northern Ireland is €1.9m, meaning the pro-rata funding should be €450m, all other things being equal.

Average income in Northern Ireland is €38k, while in Romania it is around €10k. Is it really justified that the same pro-rata funding should apply to Northern Ireland? I don't think so, which makes an EU contribution of €450m a year look generous and very optimistic.

• Advertisement

See my post comparing with Romania.

Remember, we will need votes from countries like Romania to agree to this programme. As I said, €450m a year is extremely optimistic.

Exactly - people say that NI would be a drain on Ireland, but the 6 counties are no different to the 26 in geography, work ethic, resources, etc. All NI needs is the same opportunity that Ireland has had. We have been underfunded by "virtue" of being part of the UK for decades. The obvious example is transport - I can travel from the Newry border to Cork or Galway without leaving the motorway nowadays. In contrast NI has had one major new road built in 40 years (the M3 which is exactly 1 mile long) and we still haven't got a decent road or rail connection between our 2 main cities. A Unified Ireland would be the best thing that ever happened NI, even if half of us don't realise it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I don't think funding is the Issue it's how it's spent. Unusually large civil service for example. They Have way more lifers on the dole than the Republic would. Neither parties in NI want to better peoples lot in life they spend money on vanity projects. Best way to keep your base is to keep people arguing over scraps. That and they pull the plug on Stormont way to often Leaving civil servants to spend as they wish.

You say that they are the same in terms of geography, yet you immediately point to a simple difference of geography - the roads infrastructure.

Truth be told, there are vast differences between the North and South, a consequence of 100 years of divergence.

Why look at Romania in particular ?

5 yrs old now, but look at the net contributions from 2018 https://www.statista.com/chart/18794/net-contributors-to-eu-budget/

There are some net recipient countries there who we think of as wealthy, eg Spain, Belgium. Others I assume are an anomaly due to size eg Luxembourg, Malta. Portugal gets more than Romania. There is no sliding scale of income to EU budget - if the EU wants to ensure a Unified Ireland is a success, then it will.

• Advertisement

Geography and roads are not the same thing. Clearly.

Ah common You have government defenders all over boards banging on how rich we are yet wanting to say with a straight face gis 11bn PA.

I was not being facetious.

"Engineered geographic features include highwaysbridgesairportsrailroadsbuildingsdams, and reservoirs, and are part of the anthroposphere because they are man-made geographic features."

Roads are part of geography, it is not all about hills and rivers.

You can see the great wall of China from space that's Geography 😁

Well then, how about Estonia? A country similar in size to Northern Ireland but without rich big brother in the South, it gets €500m a year.

You can pick another country if you want. A united Ireland is not a special case and has no more entitlement than any of these poorer countries, and arguably less entitlement.

The EU needs these Eastern European countries to stay out of Russian influence much more than it needs a united Ireland to succeed, that is the much bigger geopolitical viewpoint. In all honesty, I would expect a programme giving around €200m a year as the upper limit to EU funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

I agree. France, Germany and Britain have been rivals for centuries although its now a peaceful rivalry. With the UK out of the EU, the others would not want to lose face. It also would be seen to affect EU credibility overall, just as poor trade deals after Brexit have (arguably) weakened Tory-Britain credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭Christy42

The EU currently funds projects in Ireland even without needing NI attached. You can ask people in Romania how they feel about that now.

As I said, the EU works in projects and will fund some in NI if NI is part of the EU, in this case as part of Ireland. How much NI specifically would get and how much it would effectively give back is up for debate but it will receive funding and likely more than the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Im well aware - i grew up with plenty of nationalists who were protestant and knew quite a few catholics who were loyalists. Its never been religion. Its always been control and power. The British blamed religion to account for the ‘irish problem, rather than their murdering.

but this is boards and the vast majority posting have rarely spent time in the north so the religious divide is how the majority here understand the ;very complex) situation that developed in the place i was born and bred in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Per the GFA, the Secretary of State is to call a border poll if he thinks reunification is likely to win. I think it would be difficult to pretend that he thought reunification was likely to win in circumstances where it fairly obviously wasn't going to.

And they can't pull the "once in a generation" shite that people in England seem to take seriously for reasons that I cannot for the life of me understand. The GFA also deals with this; it provides that a border poll cannot be repeated within 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think there has to be discussion. no-one knows what a UI will look like, and we cant really vote on it until a nationwide discussion is had on the subject. If SF want to gamble on a border poll, then let them I say. I cant see why those who think it will fail are so badly trying to make sure a border poll doesnt happen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,327 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The fact that unionists / loyalists are so dead set against a border poll would suggest they secretly fear it would be lost, no matter how much they deny this in public. If they genuinely thought it was virtually impossible for NI to vote for unification, they'd nearly be begging for a border poll.

Are unionists/loyalists so dead set against a border poll?

All of the polls have consistently shown bigger support for holding a border poll than there is support for a united Ireland.

That means there is a substantial cohort of unionists who want a poll to take the issue off the agenda.

I think it's like Scotland they voted no yet the other side did not want to accept the answer. This is why once in a life time should just be that.

A poll will be "once in a lifetime" if the result discloses a large and settled national consensus on the issue at hand — like the UK's 1975 referendum on EU membership, which voted in favour of membership by more than two to one.

But a poll can equally disclose the opposite, that opinion is very finely balanced — like the UK's 2016 referendum on EU membership. In that case it's absurd to imagine that it will be a "once in a lifetime" event, since the poll result encourages those who just barely lost to keep campaigning by showing that, if they can win just a bit more support, they can shift the balance of national opinion.

The view often articulated in the UK that holding a referendum should, in and of itself, settle a question for a generation, regardless of what the poll results actually show, is just magical thinking.

Politicians who promise that a poll will settle a question for generation are, if we are being polite, clearly making a promise that it is not within their power to deliver. Voters would be fools to place any reliance on such a promise. If we're being less polite, those politicians are lying.

I agree 100% But it should be NI calling in conjunction with the Republic. Not the other way around as it is now. As a non Irish person it's absolutely no skin of my nose for any of this happening. I always feel bad even coming into the conversation. I try to give an outside view maybe that's wrong and that's my bad. But Then you have people talking about the EU and it being the saviours. that's just wishful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

The poll was followed later on by a landslide victory by the Scottish National Party which indicates that it's still an open question.

On the back of another issue. They had the vote there is no appetite for another I speak to plenty of Scots they new they blew it at the time. Same lies about gas this and that.

• Advertisement

It's neither NI nor the Republic that calls the poll — under the GFA a border poll is called by the Secretary of State for NI (i.e. it's called by Westminster) if it seems to the Secretary of State that reunification with the Republic is likely to win.

And the Sec of State can't trot out the "once in a lifetime" guff, since the GFA also stipulates that a further poll can be held after 10 years.

And you talk about "the other side not wanting to accept the result" as though it were some massive injustice. Of course the side that loses doesn't want to accept the result; if they didn't have strong views on the subject they wouldn't have been campaigning on the losing side, would they? It's precisely because the will be unhappy with the result and will seek to move on from it that politicians are dishonest if they assert that a referendum will inevitably settle the question, and the public are fools if they believe that.

To be clear: there is nothing remotely undemocratic about seeking to alter a decision made by referendum, provided you seek to alter it by democratic means. If anything, it's those who regard this as improper who are being undemocratic — it's kind of foundational to democracy that a decision, democratically taken, remains open to democratic review. A referendum is supposed to be a tool of democracy, not a device for terminating democracy. Those who think that a referendum means, or should mean, that a question cannot be considered again for decades are not just idiots, but anti-democratic idiots.

There's only one democratic way to arrive and an enduring settlement, and that's to build and maintain a strong and enduring consensus in favour of the settlement. That's not easy, particularly in the UK's rather polarised political culture, but it's the only thing that works, or should work.

Advertisement