Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2023 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Of course not, how would a new windscreen, puncture repair, crash repair be fixed OTA 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 23,422 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In fairness a 4 year old Qasqai is based on technology that’s being used for over 100 years.

and is improved by mechanical design. An EV is relatively new technology and is software based as opposed to mechanical.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

It's 4 years old also and you'd be doing well to fix a clicking door hinge by an OTA pal 😂 Hope the servicing, timing belts, oil changes, petrol costs, tax aren't too much hassle for you in your lovely Nissan 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The motor tax rates should increase substantially for new petrol and diesel cars. It would be better if people waited a while longer for ev, rather than trading in a dirty petrol or diesel, for another dirty petrol or diesel...

Wpuld there be far more ev than petrol diesel car supply, if there were increased sale tax on these cars ? Waiting until 2030 to ban these cars is a joke. It should be starting years before then and manufacturers should be told fifty percent of their sales nees to be ev , two years from now etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭sk8board

‘in your lovely Nissan’

Can you just imagine how much you compound the stigma of the Tesla brand when you talk like this in public?

190 m3 Irish deliveries in 7 months should be enough to tell you that this stuff matters to people. They all had a choice to make - and choose something else.

that smirk that says ‘you’ve made the wrong choice’ - but those buyers just didn’t want to be associated with such smugness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I didn't start with the snarkiness to be fair, they knew full well you wouldn't need a ranger to fix a software problem. Nothing wrong with a Nissan, I had 2 of them and they make two fantastic EV's and of course the GTR 😎. It was more a comment on the ICE vs EV. Just a bit of banter, relax!

Don't agree with ramping up motor tax as the only disincentive. This penalises people who can only afford older cars disproportionately. These cars are already on the road.

The goal should be to stop new ice cars being bought so think a massive ramp in emissions based VRT would be a fairer system as it gives people a choice of whether to pay the tax or not.

Would need to look at exemptions/ discounts for people that need to fit a wheelchair in the back or things like that.

Also clean air zones in built up areas could be good for health. Think they have this in France already. Keep the dirty diesels out of cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I mean they need to increase the motor tax rates on new petrol and diesel cars... they also need to tell the manufacturers to start building way more ev, like fifty percent of their fleet in the next 2/3 years. Id actually be prepared to pay more for fuel, electric, for the far better driving experience of it, than petrol or diesel. I drive a diesel vanba lot. Ill hold onto it until I can afford a proper electric big van, I can't wait for the day...

Partner is the same, no way will the next car he petrol again, which is obviously far better than diesel. Electric all the way...

Increasing motor tax on ice cars just serves to repeat the situation we’ve had for 15 years now whereby someone (usually lesser off people) with a pre-2007 car pay substantially higher road tax than the same post ‘08 car.

ultimately until there needs to be a critical mass of EV’s to implement a weight-based road tax, with e.g an electric SUV paying more than the current level, and a Zoe paying less.

even if 60% of new car sales were BEV today, it’s still only adding about 50,000 EVs annually into a national fleet of about 2.5m taxed vehicles (2% per year). We’re many many years away from critical mass in the national fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Road tax should be charged on km driven per year. It's the fairest way to implement it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What tax?

Maybe not the fairest, a heavy high torque EV will cause far more wear and tear than a small l one litre over the same distance.

Maybe not the fairest, a heavy high torque EV will cause far more wear and tear than a small l one litre over the same distance.

also single occupancy cars cause more traffic than a multi occupant car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭creedp

That has been the case for years, the more you drive the more fuel duty you pay. However for EVs charged at home this model will no longer apply. The simplest way to replace fuel duty is to increase EV motor tax based on a single or combination of metrics, say weight or battery size, etc

I agree penalizing retired folks, younger people,or those on low incomes isn't fair. The goal should be to sell less ice.

This can be done using the existing VRT system, simply increase all bands above the 0 one by 20% a year from now until they're all gone.

Leave more tax alone, not fair to punish people in 2033 for some one else's decision to buy a new diesel in 2023

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

No great surprises on the May sales

ID.4 is currently the 5th best selling car (all drivetrains) for the year. Electric currently at 17.27% vs 13.1% last year.

and the ID4 is only 3-400 sales off 2nd place.

Given the big price cuts since mid Jan, the model 3 is surprisingly one of the biggest drops in year on year sales, down 48% to just 259 deliveries, at no.83 in overall YTD sales. Model Y at no.23

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't understand that narrative, Model Y sales are likely impacting other EV SUV sales such as ID.4 more than Model 3 sales. I wasn't cross shopping the two as the Model 3 did not suit my requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Bz4x done well for what it is, just shows what a quality brand name can do, leaf is gone from the top 10, petrol sales up 37%, Tesla sales not great, going by the number of Tesla posts I was expecting much higher figures.

How much is the cheapest id4? interesting to know if they are the short range version or the long range,

When is the grant reduced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭eagerv

Tesla sales not great, going by the number of Tesla posts I was expecting much higher figures.

I think a lot of the posts were because there were problems getting them....🙂

Petrol (inc. petrol hybrids) market share has dropped from 51.73% to 49.87%. Diesel is continuing it's slide down from 27.27% to 24.62%. We're up to 45.47% of all cars sold will still be allowed after the ICE ban.

I wonder why there's a switch from Petrol Hybrids to Petrol hidden in those numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Today I drove 14km and saw 6 ID.4s not including mine, plus a few other MEB cars (and not it didn't drive past a charging hub 😉)

I feel like not being able to drive 3km without seeing an ID.4 is about as good a summary of sale figures as it gets

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Tbh I think the M3 has kind of hit it's saturation point, everyone who really wanted one has one and for everyone else it's just another car and so it gets considered against any other car.

It's going to hit some baseline monthly sales and stay there (unless it's already done so). The refresh might spark some interest but frankly it's only a cosmetic update on the front so I wouldn't be expecting 10x the sales as a result

I may be wrong though, we'll just have to wait and see 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

A quick scan of the MY buyers on boards and you can see the number of people getting out of an M3 and into a MY.

considering they’ve only delivered 800 MY all year, there’s got to be 1-200 of those sales coming from existing Tesla owners.

In addition, you only have to see the top selling cars to see that midsize EVs are top of the list. The m3 being a small 4 door sedan will count hard against it and folks who only want a Tesla will be easily swayed to the MY.

one other point, as seen in the low sales numbers, is that tesla buyers tend to only have eyes for a Tesla, and there aren’t nearly as many of those buyers as all the hype would suggest. If they’ve got €40k to spend on the m3, they've probably got €3k more or whatever to get the more practical one.

there’s genuinely no doubt that the MY is a big competitor to the m3.

I think a far bigger factor in Model 3 sales numbers is the fact that its pretty long in the tooth right now and has a well rumoured refresh right around the corner. Unsurprisingly car buyers tend to pay attention to what's happening and we often see drops in purchase levels just prior to a refresh.

The osborne effect is more likely in play here. I reckon when the refresh happens you'll see Model 3 sales rebound, unless of course Tesla do something stupid like removing the indicator stalk.

‘Rebound’ to what though - they peaked at No.26 in the sales volume charts in 2022. They were no.34 & 36 in 2020 and 2021 respectively. It’s always been very low volume. A new front & rear bumper, and maybe even another price cut, will add some sales, just like it would for any midlife refresh, but they won’t rebound in any material way.

Post edited by sk8board on

Best selling EV in 2020, 3rd best in 2021 and 2022. Followed by a sales drop off in the year they're finally refreshing what is basically a 2017 model. EV market share is only going one way, I don't think the updated Model 3 will struggle to find buyers at it's current pricing especially when you compare against competitors such as the ID.7 which looks likely to carry a huge premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The ID7 looks to be a far larger cat than the Model 3, don't think they'll be in the same car class at all.

• Advertisement

They're both D-Class size cars there's only about 25cm extra length on the ID.7 versus the Model 3. Much of the press is positioning it as a competitor to the BMW I4 and Model 3, given how VW are quite good at working with the press I'd say that's no accident.

The ID.7 may well be a better car than the Model 3, but if it's priced at 65k vs 42k then it's going to be a hard sell for most people.

Advertisement