Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I've left the meter on the Starlink for 9 days and it used 11.5KWh, which is 1.277KWh per day usage, which ties in with my initial 24 hour monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BeerFarts

Anyone have experience of speed with basic access once priority access data of 1TB has been used? How slow does it get?

https://www.starlink.com/legal/documents/DOC-1134-82708-70

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Eleusis

I highly doubt they will throttle in Ireland as they will be nowhere near capacity.

I'm not sure how to check usage on starlink, but I would be fairly certain I have gone over 1 tb and I haven't noticed any throttling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

currently have virgin media 1gb connection and no issues with it. Looking at starlink as an option. North county dublin. Paying virgin about 90 euro a month. I realise there's a upfront cost with starlink but monthly is bit cheaper. Also our virgin media doesnt work in a powercut. I have a backup power supply and Starlink should work? Would it be crazy to dump virgin media and go starlink? I know we'd be reducing speed by over 3/4 quarters but 200 mbps would probably be more than adequate. Usual tv streaming, 2 working from home with zoom calls. I have netgear orbi mesh in the house, so would run the starlink in bridge mode.

Anyone swapped from a dedicated broadband line to starlink? a lot of the use cases seem to be where there is no other option to go starlink. Curious of others experiences. I noticed the power usage there from another poster and it seems quite high to be honest. For our VM modem and Netgear router power us only about 24 watts.. seems a good bit more with starlink

Cheers,

Mick

• Advertisement

Anyone have feedback on gaming with starlink? Seems like from reviews latency can be high? i don't game a lot, son does a fair bit of fifa etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Why not ring up Virgin Media and see if they'll give you a deal to stay with them assuming you are out of contract? They usually give you a discount for 6 or 9 months and then you pay full price again.

Are you on the 1GB package with them (which should be €80 on its own)? If so, do you really need it? Do you have other services with them?

You could always downgrade to the 5ooMb package

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Eleusis

I have been shot down on the thread before for claiming starlink is good for gaming but in my opinion it is good. I have 4 kids who all play online, normally Apex Legends and Fifa. However I have never had fibre to compare it to. Only slow and usually faulty copper and then LTE. Starlink is a massive upgrade to both. Usually around 40-60 ping and packet loss is less than 1%. I will be curious as to what the difference is with Fibre.

With that being said If I were you I wouldnt be swapping a 1gb for starlink. I would still prefer the fibre, even if it drops 20ms it would make a difference in Fifa and FPS games. Surly virgin have cheaper options? Have you asked them for deals? Are they the only provider? Also dont forget to factor in extra cost for electricity.

Starlink running 365 days a year @ .34c per KWH is €157

Your VM is €72 (24watt as you mentioned running 24/7 365 days

yeah its not so much a cost play.. i guess id like to decouple from a landline/cable/phone line.. i might trial it and see how it goes.. doesnt happen a lot but the flexibility to have internet in a power outage would be useful - our mobile phone reception dies when we have a power cut in the area.. i have solar with battery storage and a backup power supply

i placed an order for the hardware today.. its 300 euro to own and 65 a month - seems to have come down a lot ... i wont be cancelling virgin anyway.. ill run starlink for a couple of weeks and see how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Virgin media have stated they intend replacing the old coax based network to fibre to the home on existing houses over the coming years.

Most Dublin home have option of phone line based internet, with phone to the local cabinet, fibre from cabinet onwards. Some homes have option of fibre to the home.

Starlink is a good product and very well priced. I suspect it's less likely to be overloaded on Ireland west coast compared to Dublin where you may end up sharing with nearby places like Belfast, Wales etc.

I would worry over time the network may slow as more users sign up as it's a shared networks. Data caps and price increases may come in time.

It will work in a power cut as long as everything is run from the backup power, virgin media may run if your cable modem is powered up too, but virgin media needs power at all boosters in your area and if it's a general storm power outage it's likely virgin media will go down. They do have teams on call 24/7 so outages are normally fixed within 6 hours.

If it's down to price I would try mobile phone based broadband first, then haggle with existing provider on price, then look at all options for your address including starlink and phone line based options. Some options are fibre run beside power cables too and it varies street to street.

Anyone know if the long wall mount will clear standard soffits with gutters?

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

I have one, but never used it. If you put on the wall afraid dish would hit roof if tilts that way. I prefer to be safe and use a 12 or 18'' bracket and pole (see FreeTV.ie) and clear the roof properly. And would be afraid to put the short mount on facia, 2 screws into 1'' timber..? Has anyone ever used the Starlink mounts in Ireland? Look at any installer photos and you will not see any starlink mount used. To be sure, the short mount on the facia looks super neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Anyone got up and down speeds for East Galway?

Much appreciated!

im thinking of mounting it on the shed wall in the garden.. cable should be long enough to make the house and means won't have to climb a high ladder.. should be free of obstructions as well

Just got notification that my order placed yesterday shipped today. Seems to be from Germany so might come in a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Giving up FTTH to go with starlink is a bit mad thb

I'm not giving it up..trialing and comparing cable to starlink.. if it proves itself for a month with no compromises then I'll consider keeping it

Your location won't really affect the speeds. It's how clear your Dishy's view of the sky would be. If you have obstructions then that may degrade your service.

Of course trying new tech is interesting but the technology is already well documented...low earth orbit satellites are brilliant and have come a long way but the speeds just don't cut it compared to optical cables using light.

A month's trialing is not really going to tell you anything other than it works well for what it is.

To actually change from ftth to starlink is what I meant by "giving up"...a quick Google on each tech will tell u why.

• Advertisement

I have an unobstructed view of the sky - what can I expect at present or will it fall anywhere between the 50-250 mentioned on Google/Starlinks site?

i should have mine up and running next few weeks - im expecting 200 to 300mb speeds with no obstructions and a ping of maybe less than 50 ms.. ill probably have dish tomorrow / monday but travelling next week so wont get set up.. they seem to be firing up satellites non stop.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9eHIjRuBjY

The month trial is to see if I could live with it based on our internet usage compared to what we have. It can't be better that 1tb virgin in terms of speeds/latency but it might be good enough with no compromises for our usage patterns. 200mb virgin would probably be adequate for what we need. Either way I wont be ditching virgin for a couple of months and it would be pretty easy to re connect if we get fed up with starlink.

Latency is important especially for games or if you have a CCTV that backs up on cloud. In fairness starlink are promising future increases in speeds, guess we'll find out.

Here was a post from a couple of weeks ago showing my speeds:

Edit to add: I don't officially have a completely clear view of the sky. There is a chunk of sky to the North that is obscured by trees.

yeah our son does a bit of fifa but nothing hard core.. im curious to see how it works more than anything else and the option is there to return if not happy with it

Actually my view of the sky is somehow a little better than previous ... still there is a gap to the north, but not as wide as it was before I think.

Edit to add: Here was my coverage last year ... 😮

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118864537/#Comment_118864537

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

do small obstructions reduce speed or cause periods of no service?

• Advertisement

I honestly don't know, but I wouldn't think it would help. I suppose if you were to experience regular 1-5 second disconnects, you wouldn't have very good experience, particularly as packet loss would be high.

I hadn't checked https://starlink.sx/ in a while and by jesus there are a lot more satellites that are flying over us than 8-9 months ago. I think back then there may have be 5 or 6 sats in view in that ring ... now it looks like consistently more than 10.

BTW - that link won't work on mobile devices.

Advertisement