Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

No obstructions, I moved it away from the house again this am just to make sure, I am being told I have an unobstructed view of the sky and as you can see its a prettly clear view. The only thing is the power cables in the view, I might take it up the back garden to make sure but I am really interested to see how you get on with your one. Apologies for the photo it only wants to go up sideways no matter what i do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I have 50+ to the iphone now - its doing an update currently will post back after work with more details/tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

when you moved did you power off/ on? i think it only re positions and locks on to satellites at power on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

one of the main reasons i went starlink was to have internet in a powercut.. ok how often do i get a powercut.. but we have backup battery storage so can run the internet and wifi for several hours from battery power.. virgin internet failed immediately last time we lost power

If you working from home you need a backup broadband. Possibly mobile .

I don't think that Starlink does have less downtime than Virgin . It would be different reasons , not a local powercut, but my point - you would be without a broadband for some time anyway.

Backup broadband - must have if working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Getting over 200 now standing beside the router - have not had the time to plug in the Ethernet and run cable to PC yet!

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, I did a power cycle on the app and it re adjusted itself, it funny as day 1 I was seeing 220 when first powered on, and a couple of 100 since but mainly around the 25 mark the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@bennyc I am in Sligo, I wonder if being to the north is making a difference as I don't see any satellites above Galway on the tracker map.

I dropped the marker on Sligo over on the tracker map and it never showed less than 9 satellites in view at any one time, so you should have similar capability to others. When I first got it, the reading used to be around 5 or 6 in view.

If you are testing on WiFi, there may be something causing interference on that, so it would be best to test it wired.

So how accurate is this advanced speed test from the app ? I don't have the ethernet adapter so should I expect to see the full 286 if I get that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Eleusis

I'm just down the road from sligo, I dont have any issues with speed. I don't think I have ever seen it anywhere near as low as 60. Are these wired speeds? Or wifi?

• Advertisement

All WiFi, I have the network adapter is in the post , hopefully that's the problem sorted

Post edited by bennyc on

yeah i havent used a isp supplied router for years now - they generally degrade speeds a lot as you move more than 3 or 4 meters from the router. Lots of options out there. I have netgear orbi mesh for a few years now - mad expensive but consistent speeds in every room in the house. If are intending to use a different router with starlink you can set it to bypass mode in the app which will turn off the wifi. One gotcha with that is it re addressed my own router as i connected it to starlink before i enabled bypass and i was getting double nat. Easy enough to switch the wifi address of the router back to 192.168.x.x but still just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

Anyone ordered accessories from Starlink recently? I ordered a mount, ethernet adapter and 125 foot cable on the 23rd of May and its still stuck in preparing shipment. I messaged support but not really getting anywhere. Anyone else experienced long delays? I got the Starlink dish itself within a week so I'm surprised how long the accessories are taking.

I ordered them with the starlink.. came a day after.. were dispatched a day after the dish, probably a month ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Eleusis

I suspect one of the items is likely out of stock and they are delaying everything until it's back in. If you contact them they will get back to you eventually. Normally 2-3 days. You can ask them to send what they have asap cause you need it urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Bedouin79

Ordered yesterday. Have a few questions for anyone that has it installed and running (north county cork) will definitely have more.

• 1 can you set up a direct debit?
    • 2 anyone use the long arm mount?
    • 3 have wired switch with everything connected using the Ethernet converter can I plug straight in?
    • 4 are the mesh routers any good? Or even worth it?

appreciate any and all info.

will update once received installed and setup

1 can you set up a direct debit?

I'm paying automatically off my debit card every month. I don't see any other options on the account page, so I guess DD is not an option.

3 have wired switch with everything connected using the Ethernet converter can I plug straight in?

I'm the same, though I have the Starlink ethernet going into my firewall, which is then connected to the switch. I don't use the Starlink wi-fi, but have a bridged old Wireless router inside my LAN that serves the house.

I can't answer the other two I'm afraid.

1) i gave card details - you can use visa debit linked to your bank account

2) yes i use the long arm mount

3) not sure.. i have my own router and it plugs straight into the starlink ethernet adapter - best to put the starlink router in bypass mode before plugging in your own router or it double nats and assigned a new address range to your router

4) yes - i use netgear orbi - expensive but it uses its own dedicated channel for connecting the satellite to router - google wifi is fine as well. your max internet speed is going to be 300 mb.. so no need to have 1gb wifi

Gents thanks for the replies. Got the email today the order has shipped.

on the long arm install the is it hard to do?

I had electrician fit for me but seems straight forward. Comes with guide to mark wall. I don't think it came with the correct wall plugs but he had some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

Thanks. I got on to support and they found the order on hold with no explanation given. They cancelled the order and put them all in individually instead. I got a shipment notification the next day and got everything today. It was a bit strange why it was on hold so long so might be worth messaging support if anyone else is seeing their orders hang around in preparing shipment for more than a week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

@Bedouin79 Did you instal the long arm mount? Was it handy enough? I'm thinking of getting one but unsure about placement. I would like to place on gable end but not at the apex as there is a chimney there. Does the arm extend out and up enough to clear the soffit and facia? I wouldn't want the dish to go into stow mode and crunch against the roof!

BTW for anyone wondering, I have it set up on the ground right now since I received it over a week ago and it has been life changing by comparison to the fixed wireless I've been dealing with for the last 9 years!

Long story setup on the ground same as yourself and agree totally life changing. Was going to instal the long arm myself. Borrowed a double ladder all set to do the work got half up chickened out. Decided to do a few extra hours in work and pay a man instead. Guy came out to do the install had a selection of mounts including the long arm. Tried it out on my roof recommended something stronger the would go around the eaves of the house for the best angle. So went with his recommendation €150 install done in an hour on a week night. Wife not happy cause it can seen. But as for internet I couldn’t be happier

Also have long arm and bits to sell if anyone wants it. Only catch no box

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Im moving to fibre at long last ( in few weeks ) so my starlink will be available for sale.

I was one the first 50 starlinks in IE and part of the beta, prior to initial public offering. Have to say the service has been exceptional, yes had a few outages and modem resets but overall it was a godsend. Subscription was initially 100 per month, now 65 so its an option for all you guys who are long fingered for fibre in your area.

Anyway, if youre interested let me know here by pm, or keep eye out for ad on adverts/dd

For those of you interested in the process required for buying used SLs. heres a link to a good read.

https://www.starlinkhardware.com/how-to-buy-sell-and-transfer-a-used-starlink/

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

After 5 years of Imagine, I replaced it 3 years ago with Eir mobile broadband ( 2 modems). It was really good ( 150 DL/15UL) up until a few weeks ago. Now I sometimes still get 65DL but mostly around 25 and 5 as I write this. More annoyingly the upload speeds have gone to the dogs completely with mostly getting 1 or 2 Mbps.. and this is now affecting work ( conf calls and backups).

I have no idea what caused this and I am tired of it. As I pay €70 a month I was thinking of starlink for €65 a month and get a GOMO SIM for back up.

NBP tells me to expect fiber in 2025/26 so I could even live with the initial outlay.

In order to have a clear view I probably need a long pole up against and just above the garage, but I am a bit worried about the heavy winds, can the starlink dish cope with that ?

Secondly, during the winter there is always a good bit of fortnite being played in the house, and that was one of the reasons I dished Imagine as the pings and subsequent lags were horrendous. With Eir I typically had sub 20ms pings and hardly any lag ever. Would I expect frequent lag with starlink ?

What do I expect to pay for a long arm + installation roughly ?

And do I read correctly there is no data cap ? I would typically use between 750 and 1200 GB a month.

Thanks for any help !

i do see lag on startlink... you will do well to get below 30ms.. that said i dont get any noticable issues working from home, two folks using zoom/teams etc.. also a lot of streaming on netflix etc and never had a problem.. son did try fifa on the ps5 online and didnt complain. the dish re aligns itself if you reboot it, so in theory do that after any storms etc.. i bought the long arm mount from starlink when ordering the dish and a electrician stuck it up for me for 100 euro and ran the cable into the house as well.. i think some of the 'starlink' installers are expensive from what ive seen.. its not like setting up a satelite dish for tv where everything needs perfect alignment.. a clear sky in the general direction it points is all you need... use the phone app to determine positioning

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Thanks a mill.. My intention would be to put it up at the shed, as I have ethernet going into the house.

Question is with the starlink long arm - will it be high enough or will the roof be in the way ( blue option in pc). The alternative would be a longer pole to get it above the roof pitch (red option)

I guess for fortnite, pings of below 50-60 would be good enough. I would also have a 4G backup that I could switch to for playing only.

Ideally I just get my current set up working again as it did, but not sure what else I can try that I haven't already done.

A lot depends which direction your dish will point. Try the app and see which gives you clearance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

height is not a requirement. Clear sky south facing is though. download the app and go the the intended location ( ie exact dish location ) then use the app to determine suitability. you need clear unobstructed view in the app interface.

As for your pic, id go with red, not knowing the aspect of that building or if the garage door faces generally south. maybe theres an option to mount the dish on one of the side walls of that building? that way you avoid the apex? anyway the app will tell you what works.

I used my own clamp mount ( shelley clamp ) to 2 inch tublar mast. see my earlier posts for pics. then used a few wire stays to secure from wind. no need for any precise pointing of the dish as the internal tracking motors will latch onto the carrier and determine the azmuith and heading. note it take a new install up to 24 hours to optimise track and signal. i wont go into the technical reasons but its an important consideration.

Lastly, you are limited to the length of the supplied ethernet cable that comes with the package. this is because the modem actually resides in the dosh itself, and the router is the inside box. you wont be able to " extend " this. note, the cable you have already ran can work, but you will have to have the SL router in the garage and then extend the LAN side into the house network.

An easier option for you may be to mount starlink on the house, have the router in the house, and use the ethernet cable to the garage to connect to a Access point in the garage itself. if the electrial phase is on the same fuseboard, then even a powerline adaptor may work.

Advertisement