Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I have a solution in place through Irishvoip.com which predates my current Starlink installation and it works fine. I think I originally put it in place in 2017 - a Gigaset 620A IP Voip DECT handset, an old product by today's standards no doubt, where I allowed the Eir line to go dead at that point of porting to IrishVoip. About €20 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I don't have Starlink myself but two members of my family have it. My SIL works from home for a multinational and replaced their old Bigblu satellite broadband and landline phone/broadband with Starlink last July.

They ported over the landline phone to irishvoip.com, with ATA, no issues to report in almost 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question for all the SL users here, is it OK to buy used equipment from someone privately and then get a subscription from Starlink yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not done it but yes Starlink provide the means to do that. With the current cost of the equipment I'd question if it was financially viable option unless the equipment was almost free.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Starlink facilitate those type of transactions.

From Starlink Support:

How do I transfer my Starlink hardware ownership?

Please read all information below prior to transferring Starlink hardware:

Starlink is not responsible for the condition of kits sold or transferred by third-parties. 

The Starlink Kit must be delivered and all orders and services on your account need to be fully paid with no outstanding balance. 

Your service must be cancelled in order to transfer Starlink hardware. 

Upon transfer, the Starlink is removed from your account permanently, service will stop immediately, and any remaining days of your service period will be lost.

The Starlink recipient is responsible for signing up for service on Starlink.com. Service is subject to availability - see starlink.com/map. Availability varies by service offering (Standard, Mobile, etc). Activation is not currently available for Maritime accounts.

Upon activation, the new user will be charged for the first month of service and can begin using right away.

The warranty period for the Starlink kit is from the date of the original retail purchase from Starlink or its Authorized Reseller. The warranty period does not start over for kits sold or transferred by third-parties. End-users should verify that the Starlink kit is in working condition prior to purchasing from third-parties. See starlink.com/legal/warranty

Starlink kits are certified per country. End-users are responsible for complying with local requirements. Starlink may restrict certain services to the country where Starlink or its Authorized Resellers originally sold the device, as required.

The account must be in good standing and paid in full.

• Transferring Services is not available until 120 days after you purchased your Starlink Kit, or 90 days after you activated your Starlink Kit, whichever comes first.Note: if it has been 120 days since you purchased your Starlink from an authorized retailer and are having trouble transferring your Starlink, reach out to Starlink Customer Support and attach your reciept of purchase for further assistance.

How to transfer your Starlink:

From Starlink.com, log into your Starlink account.

Under "Your Starlinks" select "Manage" next to the Starlink you would like to transfer.

On the left-hand side, click "Cancel Service". You must be cancelled prior to transfer.

Under "Devices", find Starlink and click "Transfer" and confirm conditions - this will permanently remove the Starlink from your account. 

(Optional) Enter the new owner's email address to send an activation email. If you do not wish to enter an email address, click "Close" to finish.

Factory reset your router to its original settings.

Provide all items in your Starlink kit to the new user. Starlink is not responsible for the condition of kits sold or transferred by third-parties. 

• Provide a Starlink Identifier to the new party for activation. 
      • Kit Serial Number: Located on the Starlink Kit shipping label (ex. KIT00000000) Example of Starlink shipping label
      • Dish Serial Number: (refer to specific Starlink Hardware Type)Starlink Standard: Located on the back of the Starlink Dish near the connector port (ex. SN: 2ABC000000000000)Standard Actuated: Located on the bottom of the Starlink mast (ex. SN: 2ABC000000000000)High Performance Starlink: Located on the bottom of the Starlink Mast similar to the Standard Actuated Dish (ex. SN: HPCP000000000000)Flat High Performance Starlink: Located on the back of the Starlink Dish near the connector port (ex. SN: HPCP000000000000)
      • Terminal ID: While connected to your Starlink internet, open the Starlink app, tap "Settings", then "Advanced". Look at the "ID" under "STARLINK" section. Enter the number without the "ut" in front. (ex. 00000000-00000000-00000000)

Communicate to the new user that they can sign up for service using the activation link you emailed to them, or can sign up for service on starlink.com using the provided Starlink Identifier to activate the Starlink hardware. See the activation FAQ for more information.

How to activate a Starlink:

If you have already purchased a Starlink, see how to activate service for your Starlink here.

Recommended Topics:

What is a Starlink Identifier?

How do I activate my Starlink?

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies.

I was looking at one for £150 from uk. But I see you can get refurb on Starlink website for €150.

I only plan to use this until fibre arrives late 2025, so trying to minimise cost.

Don't forget to add on an ethernet adaptor if you need to connect dishy to your own router. Thats an extra €40. afaik all the refurbs are gen 2 dishies without a build in ethernet adaptor.

https://shop.starlink.com/products/ie-consumer-ethernet-adapter-gen2

HAs anyone here rented the equipment?

I see this option is €60 per month, 50 for service, 10 for equipment. I take it you still get the same service everyone else gets?

Not sure whether I should rent equipment or not. If I buy for £150, I could always sell it on next year when I get fibre. Or I assume Starlink just take the equipment back next year when I'm done with it.

Another question re: router. Can you use your own router, or are you advised to use the Starlink one. The guy seling for 150 Inc an ethernwt adaptor.

I'm renting. No idea how you go about returning the equipment but as I might not be in the house is 6 months time it seemed daft to buy it. Chances are in another year there will be new updated equipment anyway. If you rent you still need to buy the ethernet adapter.

Service is as I've reported here. I get around 200Mbps much of the time. Goes to below 100Mbps the odd time but normally only peak times in the evening and overnight and early morning it can go over 400Mbps. Only had it a few months but download average is about 1.5TB a month.

You can put the Starlink router in bypass mode and have it directly link to a router but I just live with double NAT and route through both Starlinks and my own router.

https://www.spacelink-installations.co.uk/blog/starlink-bypass-mode/

Edit> don't forget you'll get hit for VAT if you buy from the UK :-(

I have an NI address if buying equipment myself 2nd hand.

Also, if renting I'd use my Irish address as its coming up as €60 per month including equipment rental which is reasonable.

• Advertisement

Once you set up the equipment Starlink know where it is and you can't move it around. I suspect your good within say a kilometer but many will tell you less (mine on Starlinks map is shown as being 1k from where it actually is).

But I assume this is when you set it up?

If I got equipment delivered to ni, I wouldn't be setting it up there, only using it as a delivery address.

Id set it up in donegal and then register? Would that work I assume?

I'm probably making things more complicated than they are. Yes its when you set it up that the dish becomes geo located. However originally you had to put in your address for Starlink to check if they were providing a service to that area. Now I think you can get Starlink in most if not all of Ireland. Although I think Starlink may eventually use the address check to prevent there being too many subscribers in one area.

btw the reports I've read about the refurb equipment is that it looks like brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭pms7

Most refurbs have a small scratch or a smudge on the dish.

I wouldn't but a ethernet adaptor privately as they can fail, might not even be working, will Starlink provide warranty when not buy off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭cal naughton

Starlink Gen 3 with the new router is now available to order on the Irish website . 225 for the kit .

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭pms7

Gen 2 still available, is gen 3 worth €75 more? Router is better, dish supposed to give faster speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Happy Gen 1 customer here!

Anyone else's starlink gone to shite tonight. Getting 10 down 7 up on its own app

Very shite

240 down 14 up and thats with a VPN so all OK here.

Edit> Very strangely getting slower results without the VPN 120 down and 14 up with direct connection but still good enough.

• Advertisement

Manual reboot solved it. First time had to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭micks_address

Middle of the night but still impressive figures

Advertisement