Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

How would adoption have worked without a birth cert? The pregnancy and birth were concealed, Baby John's murder was concealed and his body thrown in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

It may be hard to see, but it's likely we will never know for sure. Unless the couple add information we likely will kno nothing more than we do now. Even if they provide information, will it be true?? Likely only two living people know what happened, if even they know. Unlikely we will ever have a definite truth of what happened back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

Who knows? It’s just conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What happens is that the adoptive parents register themselves as the birth parents. If the birth was not reported, and the application is made for registration by another person it will not be detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think boardsies have implicated everyone in the family at this stage.

The fact is, we may never know. My own feeling, with no knowledge of anything, is that the most likely scenario is that the mother in a post-partum psychosis may have done it, and the family rallied to conceal and to protect her.

Perhaps wrongly in many people's eyes, but it would be a very human reaction to shield a young female relative who the family were protective of.

Fully aware that's conjecture. And that's most likely what AGS are working off as well. It equally may not be the case at all.

• Advertisement

I never implicated anyone. We all have our theories. There are limited hard facts available, there is some information in the public domain,and some not quite so, that we may be pretty sure of. If people build their theory around this information, well and good,but some stuff is simply bizarre, or impossible. There was absolutely no cover up among locals. It's a small town, secrets are hard to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anonymo203

I wonder will we hear anymore about it if the DPP decides there’s not enough evidence to prosecute. Everyone in Kerry knows who the couple are now so I’d imagine they would want to clear their name if they didn’t murder Baby John. It was also such a massive story and injustice to Joanne Hayes that it can’t just be let go of either. It’s such a sad case though, whatever the circumstances were for the parents it must have been such a dark secret to keep for almost 40 years. I also have a lot of sympathy for their adult children. Imagine finding all this out, that the Kerry Baby was their biological sibling and to have your family’s darkest secrets all over the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭chooseusername

" having lived in the area for a hell of a long time now.."

What area, the area where Baby John was born or the area his parents moved to?

Thanks, but are you from the area, if you know what I mean?

• Advertisement

Apologies, no I'm not from the area, but I live in the county.

I'm a blow-in from another county and have lived in the county for a number years. I like to think I've integrated well, but I realise I'm not privy to a lot of the stuff being discussed in the pub. I've moved on a bit from talking about the weather and state of the roads, but when it comes to a conversation about local families I know my place. I only asked because of your spelling of Cahersiveen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Xander10

Agree, but while it may have been a human reaction to protect the mother, surely at some stage they would have had their conscience stirred and said something to aid Joanne Hayes ( another young woman) who they clearly knew was being treated wrongly and completely inhumanely.

In the time when correct spelling was something to be admired, there were at least three spellings of this towns name that were accepted. In the current era, spelling has little importance.

I can assure you, that the current revelations are as much a surprise to all in this town as they are to anyone elsewhere.

Partly agree.

But, looking at the obscenity of the treatment of the Hayes family by the State, from a self-preservation point of view, could you really blame them if they kept their heads down?*

The State, the press, and society at large was not turning it's best side out with this case. We're an intensely judgemental and vengeful race of people when the mood takes us.

While postpartum psychosis is realtively well understood in 2023, in the 80s and beyond she'd have been branded a murderous witch, could have been strung-up by the the Gardai and prosecutors and a significant segment of society would have been calling for the rope for her.

*This is of course, taking my hypothesis of it being the result of a post natal psychotic break as true. Which it may not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The term "partner" tends to be a generic description so could still mean wife, husband, boyfriend or girlfriend. Most reports say those arrested are a married couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭Deeec

Post partum psychosis is very unlikely imo. It seems to have been a well concealed pregnancy with no medical intervention. All hospitals and doctors were asked to provide details of recent births and pregnancies and this mother ( it would appear) never came to gardais attention. I don't believe hospital/doctors would have colluded with Gardai to keep this secret. If the mother/parents intended to keep the baby medical attention would have been sought - it seems the intention was always to dispose of this baby after birth like he never existed.

I do accept though that the parents could have thought at the time that the baby was going to be given away to another family. However when a newborn baby was found murdered on a beach in Kerry these parents would have had to realise there was a high chance that was their baby.

This was the 80s and it was (with what info we have) a woman in her late teens carrying a child out of wedlock in rural Ireland. Pregnancies of this sort were routinely concealed from family and medical professionals alike.

I don't see how a death linked to a post partum psychosis event can be ruled out. In fact, I'd rank it as among the most likely of hypotheses.

A quick search reveals that 1 in 1000 women will suffer a psychotic event after giving birth, and of those, 4% will commit infanticide. You'd have to think that a concealed pregnancy would exacerbate the risk.

It tallies in my mind, and it's more common than one would think. And probably concealed more than you'd think as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭Deeec

It's possible but I still think it's unlikely. In your scenario this mother went through a concealed pregnancy, gave birth with no medical help, then had a mental episode and killed her baby violently. She then just got on with normal life, married her partner and had more babies. I don't think this scenario could have played out without this couple having serious issues - both of them. Would her partner not have been petrified to have more children with her, would she not have been afraid of having another baby herself?

To me the murder of baby John was no accident - it was very deliberate and I don't think the mother was responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hamburgham

And if it was the father, would that also be psychosis or just a brutal murder?

• Advertisement

By definition if the father did it, of course it wasn't postpartum psychosis and he should cop a murder charge if there's evidence of it.

Is it credible he killed the child in cold blood or indeed rage and they went on to live happily ever after? Possibly, but unlikely in my mind.

Like everyone I'm engaging in speculation here, but the best explanation of all this series of grim events is a psychotic break by the young mother and out of protective (if misguided) instincts the family and partner decided cover it up and move on as best they could.

We know the prevalence of infanticide in these circumstances, it's not as uncommon as one might think.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Packrat

Speculation that a whole community of people including gardai, medical professionals and their partners could all participate in a cover up given the attention this case got is silly and demonstrates no understanding or knowledge of a place like Cahersiveen then or now.

The only possible cover-up and what I think is most likely is that a young Guard who's late father was a very much respected member of the organization, along with his family were protected by the local guards under the direction of their Sargent.

They either kept information from the heavy gang and threw them off the scent, OR with the collusion of higher up officers, some of the investigators were also involved.

It would be interesting to know who the local Sargent was at the time, his relationship or knowledge of that family including the deceased father particularly. It would be also interesting to know whether that man is alive or not today.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

He is not. And if you had known him, you would know that what you are suggesting is impossible. Don't overthink or overcomplicate the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Joanne and her family and friends and probably a huge crowd supporting them must want so bad to March to this couples house and beat down the door and demand answers

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Why didnt whoever is responsible for the death of baby John bury him on their land where he would never have been found ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Packrat

Thank you. As I said earlier in the thread, I'm from 60 miles away in Kerry and I'm sure as hell not asking anyone I know from Cahersiveen about it.

The family name is easy to figure out from Google search, and easy to guess which town the couple are currently living in.

Straight question: Do you think there was any cover up apart from within the family which there obviously was?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

I wondered the same. Maybe the thoughts of the corpse buried in the garden was going to be too much of a daily reminder.

They probably thought throwing it in the sea would wash the problem away.

Ironically it washed up and became an issue for an entirely different family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Everyone in Kerry knows who the couple are now.

I don't and I'm still not bothered finding out until I hear something official.

My honest opinion?? At most 4 people knew. The couple and maybe one or two family members. Possible only 2 people knew. Probably only 3.

• Advertisement

Do you think a serving member of the Gardai, at that time, knew?

Advertisement