Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

Because that's been the long circulated rumor as to why the investigation was hobbled

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Long circulated where? Only in your head id say. Certainly never suggested in Caherciveen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We will never find out the full truth.

Anyone left alive who knows anything has kept quiet for 40 years, they're hardly going to change their mind now, and even if they did it's unlikely anything could be proven one way or the other anyway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Both the child's parents have been identified by DNA and they are still a married couple to this day, with more children. So Baby John was not born of an incestuous conception as a result of rape, if that is what your rumour was suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Caquas

The full truth? I would settle for accountability, which is the most that any court can deliver.

The parents are still alive, as are many others who were in the vicinity. Let them sit in court and decide whether the community deserves to hear their evidence. Let the court consider the charges and deliver its verdict on the basis of all the evidence. Those involved have a right to silence, not a right to anonymity.

But the DPP has had the file for almost three months now. It seems increasingly likely that the DPP will choose not to prosecute anyone for any offence in relation to this shocking murder. If so, the news will be released at a suitable moment to minimise controversy and, if the DPP takes flack, there will be no shortage of media commentators trying to persuade us that it’s for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The couple in limbo from today's Irish Daily Star

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Shoddy reporting, Baby John was not 5 days old when he was murdered.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What an insensitive headline!!!

Well they can spend some quality time with their child they refused to acknowledge!!

Limbo would be too bloody good for that pair.

That solicitor is just looking for celebrity status at this stage ...going for the "shock" using the term limbo..... completely bad taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Strange, I got this book in the library recently. Limbo by Maureen Gallagher https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/62885927-limbo

It was a tiresome read if I'm honest, with the usual disclaimer at the start about it being a work of fiction and any similarity to real life people or events being coincidental. It's actually set in 1989 and at one stage referred to "the case in Kerry a few years ago"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Their solicitor is a bollox who can fúck right off tbh.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So the two individuals have no idea if the DPP has the file yet, or will ever have the file, and they have not been informed of the results of the DNA tests.

But their solicitor is a bollix and can fúck right off.

Odd take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is the term "hits on her" actually used in the book? Nobody in 1980s Ireland spoke like that.

Edit: ok I see now it was a readers review, thought it was the official blurb.

I heard the radio interview, he comes across as a belligerent bollix. I understand that they have to be represented legally but I've developed a real dislike of that guy. There's a touch of the Healy Raes about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What I find interesting is that he says they haven't got any DNA results.

If I recall it was all over the media that both arrested were a match to Baby John.

So what's the truth?

Have there been no official results or have the official results been "leaked" to the media while the two arrested have not yet been officially notified of the results ?

Some papers reported that the couple were told the results of the DNA test during their questioning but solicitor O'Connell says otherwise.

Deleted.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 April2023

The biological parents should not be judged.  

Many comments so far state that the biological parents should have "owned up" when they knew that the Hayes family were being wrongly accused and they “chose to sit back and put the Hayes family through torture.

It was the Garda Siochana who “sat back” and “chose” to continue to blame the Hayes family. The Gardai put the Hayes family through torture, and it was not the biological parents who put the Hayes through torture.

It is no wonder that the biological parents could never make themselves known as they feared they would have been subjected to the torture the Hayes family endured. They must have and continue to be going through mental torture.

Also, where did the Manure bag disappear that Baby John was found in?  Who had possession of the manure bag and how many people had access to it? This was crucial DNA evidence. Were they interviewed?  Where is the photographic evidence of the alleged knife wounds? missing like the manure bag.

Have any surviving members of the Garda Siochana who were involved in this case been interviewed? If so, what is their statement and why was it not made public knowledge? If there are any surviving members, they should be put on the pedestal and held accountable for their actions/inactions.

Had any of the Garda Siochana who has recently passed away been interviewed and if so, what was their statement?

Prior to the biological parents being identified, the Gardai pleaded with whoever are the parents, to acknowledge the same and they will be treated with the strictest of confidence and will be treated with respect and dignity. Who “leaked” to the media when they came in their droves to the Garda station when the biological parents were arrested? 

It was disgraceful to exhume Baby John. He was never left to Rest in Peace. Irrespective of whether it was or wasn’t established who the biological parents were, the outcome will be the same. As far as I am concerned, the Gardai were only worried about PROMOTION, PROMOTION, PROMOTION. They want to be acknowledged as the Heroes who solved the “Kerry baby case”.  It was the Garda Siochana who botched it up in the first instance.

How many Baby Johns were never acknowledged in the mother and baby homes? These babies deserve justice, and nobody has been made accountable.

My heart goes out to the Hayes family, the Locke family, the biological parents, and all of their extended families.

Post edited by April2023 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I had dealings with that solicitor, an absolute press whore but denies it all to his clients. It was probably him that leaked their arrest to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes, the parents of the murdered baby, who said nothing for 40 years, until they were caught, they're the victims here.......

Seagulls 🙄

Where is the photographic evidence of the alleged knife wounds? missing like the manure bag!!!!! in the Garda station.

How can you expect the biological parents to come forward all those years after seeing the abuse that the Hayes family was subjected to? It was out of fear and humiliation. Yes, the biological parents are also victims here. Assumptions are being made about this couple. None of us know the real circumstances.

It was the Garda Siochana who were caught out. It makes me wonder why you have not responded to the Garda Siochanas' involvement. Is there something that you know that you are not saying? Never trust the boys (GARDAI)in blue.

I am not sure what you mean when you state that they were caught out. Caught out about what? What proof have you got that they murdered Baby John. There are such small-minded people who are judge and jury and you definitely fit into this category.

• Advertisement

You continue to divert from the Garda Siochana by blaming O'Connell solicitor for leaking their arrests to the media. The solicitor comes across as arrogant and likes to be in the limelight, however, there is absolutely no way did he leak to the media. This can be easily proven if he did. You appear to have in depth knowledge of O'Connell solicitor leaking information to the media. You should present yourself to the Garda station and make a statement regarding the same and I assume you have made a complaint to the LSRA about the solicitor leaking information to the media.

Were you registered under a different name recently?

Glad to know you have the expertise by coming to the conclusion that what I said is crap. What I said is fact.

Be like that. . no I wasn't and it wouldn't take a genius to work out who I am . I have a feeling you were.. maybe late at night and not quite as sharp as you should have been?? See I follow this thread out of genuine interest and I'm not pushing an agenda on behalf of anyone. I think I have a screenshot of what I suspect is your previous persona.. a surname mentioned a few times on this thread??? I won't expose you here though, don't worry.. but of course the internet forgets nothing and once it's out there once it's out there forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Could the baby have been taken away by a 3rd party who said they would take care of things, adoption etc and never mention it again. This person has passed away since.

If this is the case I cannot understand why the parents haven't come forward publicly looking for more information themselves.

You obviously have an Agenda. You are very defensive. "Not as sharp" and late at night", talk about being small-minded. "A screenshot". "The internet forgets nothing", Thanks for enlightening me. I would never have known but for you telling me that the internet forgets nothing and a big thank you for that, pity you, honestly. The truth hurts, doesn't it? Of course, it would take a genius to work out who you are. It is very clear from your comments that you are a genius. Most definitely, you are a genius and of course very sharp. Taking screenshots, how amusing. You must have a lot of time on your hands. On a final note, just for clarity, I was not registered under a different name recently. I just want to put your mind at ease. Good luck to you in your venture.

That is how the Hayes family was blamed from day 1, by people assuming and making false presumptions like you have made in your latter comment. I honestly would not waste my valuable time responding to any of your messages. I just hope that you are never on the Jury.

• Advertisement

For clarity, I have sent no messages,only posted here. I know who and what I'm dealing with for sure. Sorry if I touched a nerve!!!!! Deleting something on a forum and changing a name doesn't change the truth.. it's good that you are now going to ignore me, incase you might provoke me and god knows what I'll do. I could almost hear the manic screaming in your last post .

Advertisement