Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Heaps folks think he is. Why do you think he couldn’t be? Do boxers never dodge a fight?

These two lads will sell big big numbers no matter what the split is. Folks need to take their heads out their arses. This is not Fury fudging because he thinks he’s “the draw.” He’s dodging because he just doesn’t fancy this match.

FFS, he has got his 70/30 fight one. He could eff off and retire and not even do a rematch if he felt like it after fight 1. It’s as plain as the nose on your face. For this fight, Fury has acted purely to not fight. He doesn’t want it.

and I don’t think he is scared, btw. I am with Macklin on this one. He sees Usyk’s style as a problem. And the more I study both, I think Usyk is a problem.

Looking in control and nimble against two fooking plodders like Chisora and Whyte, and beating quite an average boxer (plenty think Wilder is an awful boxer) in Wilder is not what Fury can expect against Usyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Did you not predict wilder to win against fury?. Lets not talk resume with fury, hes beaten the best of his era so far. He needs usyk i agree to claim undisputed of his era.

Yes, I predicted in fight 1 that Wilder would knock him out. Wilder had, up to that point knocked out every boxer he had faced: And this prediction doesn’t preclude Wilder from being perceived as a terrible boxer by plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I also don't think Fury is "scared" of Usyk, at least not physially, but stylistically speaking Usyk is definately a problem for Fury and he knows it, it's without a doubt not as safe as say Chisora and Whyte or even Wilder, Wilder was more dangerous because of the power, but he had literally nothing else to offer, Usyk is tricky, awkward and knows his ring craft, I think Fury knows this, I think he's avoiding it because he sees it as a potential bananna skin, which it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Which will come as a surprise to absolutely no one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yep. Like no matter what Fury does you’ll excuse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

with the experts around here we dont need to bother with talk sport boxing anymore

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

but in this day and age it is not about belts or who is the champ, it is about who puts the most bums on seats and sells the most tickets and gets most hits online, Fury wins out on all these fronts and more than likely beats Usyk too, I fail to see how Fury is running from Usyk, he Fury believes he is the headline act in this fight and wants the bigger purse....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Of course Usyk is a tricky opponent is he unified champion and was undisputed CW that’s hardly a revelation. At some stage too, Fury’s lifestyle will have caught up with him. He would not enjoy all that movement all around him all night, the body shots and the uppercuts, hooks and he’s never liked an overhand right. Usyk is a massive handful and it will be the only time Fury will have been in with someone who is better at footwork, handspeed and ring craft. He’s rarely had to rely on superior power even if he could win that way with Wilder and Whyte say. Usyk is a different problem to solve. But this is the last thing Fury needs to do in order to stake his claim as a great and of course he wants to do that. He has to fancy that he can spoil, hold, lean and equalise all of Usyk’s attributes. He’s not going to run scared of a much smaller man like that even if he will go on to acknowledge it’s a hard night’s work. Whyte and Chisora are awful preparation for Usyk and he wont be able to find sparring partners to really mimic Usyk’s style and ability. Meanwhile Usyk had good preparation in Chisora and Joshua for Fury. He will fancy himself fitter and tidier than Fury. As Ive said before I think so much comes down to the official involved. But my take is that Fury will and should have seen enough in the Joshua fights to figure out a way of getting to Usyk. His current tactics are peculiar so they may be to delay and frustrate, there is some agenda but he knows what he’s doing. I think we will eventually get the fight.

He got the purse for chrissske. 70-30 fight 1… all Usyk asked is that IF he won he’d get 70/30 in rematch!

Fury telling everyone how easy beating the middleweight will be, but yet still refusing the rematch clause in order to not fight in fight 1..

a complete duck.

Separately: where’s this measure and science behind who exactly is putting the bums on seats for a unified HW match between two well-known undefeated champions? This sells big time. Who gives a fiddlers which one is the one “selling” it more. It can’t even be measured!! It’s an absolute red herring excuse that Fury fans trot out

over two fights Fury will make tens of milllions of pounds, but still wants more; but really the wanting more is more to do with a way out. Folks are falling for greed being the excuse. Fury is using the greed angle to not take the fight.

If Usyk agreed 50/50 rematch, Fury would simply pull another stunt. Usyk’s team have had enough.

Great points..

but the last sentence.. eventually? When? Fury must be 34 or so, and Usyk a year or more older.. what in the name a jaysus are they waiting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Its a boxing forum, where people interested in boxing come to express their thoughts and opinions, it's why it exists.

I don't think anyone here is claiming to be all knowing.

Kalle sauerland reckons 70/30 made sense as a split, given that it's in Wembley and what kind of money would be involved.

My take is fury is going through one of his pig headed phases and being a dick for the sake of it, I cant see him fearing facing usyk but I'm disappointed the fight hasn't been made yet as there isn't a whole lot else I want to see at hw

Some people seem to know what fury is thinking though 🤷‍♂️

Thanks! Jaysus look at us 2 getting on! Yea that’s the killer here from the fan’s point of view. My eventually is hopefully some time this year. Nothing surprises me any more though in these things.

I agree with your take on things but I do think there are lots of decent fights at HW. Joyce has added something to the whole thing with the Parker performance even if his wins before that and arguably Dubois were all very underwhelming. Bakole might have a bit in him but only about European level. Chang, Hergovic and Yoka aren’t adding much to the thing though. Anderson is a good prospect. Joshua vs Wilder I’d love to see.

Yes. That’s called discussion , debate, feelings, opinions, hunches… otherwise we’d simply have 0 discussion.

you know, like: I think, I reckon, I feel, I bet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Wilder and Joshua will never fight, Fury and Joshua will never fight, Usyk and Wilder will never fight and it looks like this fight might never happen. The legends from the 70's would be ashamed of these fighters who talk about "legacy" and being warriors, don't make me laugh.

I heard a saying once about all the belts in boxing - "if 2 or 3 are world champion then none of them are".

Yes, there are still four boxers left for any of them to lay claim to best of their era. In pole position is Usyk and Fury, but wins/losses from the remaining fights (Usyk-Fury; Usyk-Wilder; Fury-Joshua; Joshua-Wilder) need to happen. If these fights don’t happen the era is just dead.

I don't think Joshua or Wilder can lay claim to being the best in their era they have both already been comprehensively beaten twice by the two that can

Yes, but consider possibilities. Fury loses to Usyk and AJ. Wilder loses to Usyk and AJ. Usyk loses to Wilder. Usyk loses to Fury. AJ loses to Wilder and Fury.

the landscape is not completed… as I said, right now Usyk and Fury are in pole position. But there are several more bouts that could change everything..

the bouts need to happen. Otherwise none them can lay claim to being the best of their era

all four of them have 2 fights left of the permutations.

eddie hearn said he wants a fury v aj and a wilder v usyk and the winner of both then meet for undisputed

not sure how wilder gets to fight usyk when he has a list of mandatories to deal with or he has to start dropping belts

It’s a pitiful state that a lot of these great fights and occasions wont happen. The Fury Usyk is the worst one considering the opportunity there is to have an undisputed champion but that’s the nature of it all. Money talks and money obstructs. Some fights like Kahn Brook might happen when it’s far too late and the fight has lost all meaning but let’s not forget that so many of the Tyson fights were like that too, particularly the Lewis one. Bygone eras did have more of the top end fights but then you had Ali out of the ring for so long and a lengthy lull after that.

one of the promoters said previously that having all the belts whilst good costs the fighter so much money because they have to pay a percentage to each governing body

Yes, but Mike Tyson was pretty much gone from 1991-1995. No issue with money or ducking then. He was locked up 1992-1995, and arrested in 1991.

This current crop are all in their mid 30s pretty much, and pros for quite some time, and of the 6 fights (where they all would face each other one time), we have only had two pairings/matches. There are 4 pairings/matches outstanding!! Ridiculous. And to be fair to Usyk, he’s come late to the party and he’s the one that wants the legacy!!!

Post edited by walshb on

Oh yea there are far differing reasons like these lads aren’t making the fights but that said Tyson Lewis could have been made earlier (I think) and also Holyfield if he hadn’t gone for the tune up.

Nail bang on the head. Usyk is the only one really forcing the issue. So far he’s accepted unfavourable pay terms in three fights in a row (even if it’s not made he was for taking 70/30) and in the first two he has been sensational. If Fury KO’d him in Round 1 he still gets all the plaudits for facing them all. A tune up, a decent test and then right into the deep end and staying there. All the big guys have been hesitant rather than him. The guy is a hero.

• Advertisement

Your second paragraph is pretty much exactly my take and what I’m saying, albeit I am saying he’s ducking it. So him being a dick and pig-headed, and in being this way, he’s the one ducking this fight. And not because he’s physically scared..

Advertisement