Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

strange one spotted on insta, thomas carty is sparring with fury in prep for his next fight, so fury hasnt stopped training then

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I saw that and had to to do a double take. Thought it was someone who just looked like Fury. Must be getting ready for Chisora IV: once and for all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think he does love training tbf even when no upcoming fight ready.

Supposedly he fights Joyce if he gets through Zhang in the Summer, but unless Joyce wins that quickly I can't see how that fight happens before July.

Zhang is really tough and Joyce has no problem taking a few shots.

Not sure if he is content to sit on his arse until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I dunno Thomas Carty, what sort of fighter is he? If he’s fast etc there may be some hope. But then again insta and other social media is wheeled out all the time to make things appear other than how they are! Like Ruiz not looking as fat as he really is.

Well will he have to fight Joyce or will he choose to? If it’s his choice he may try to rush Joyce into it and he has to accept it for the shot.

Fury doesn’t normally spar unless he’s in camp which was what was giving me a glimmer of hope, he trains twice a day just to keep his head straight and adds sparring and ups the training when he’s in camp

joyce looks a risky fight with low reward to me at least with Usyk it’s risky but the reward is massive, all the belts and a bag of cash to go with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah he will try to rush Joyce after his tough fight with Zheng into fighting him. Joe is desperate for a massive pay day so he will agree to it.

To be fair if Joyce has designs on becoming a world champion then he should be able to take Zhang and be prepared for the shot soon afterwards

checked boxing news today and im hearing lots of chatter about jermaine franklin having a six pack and he has lost 24 pounds, i havent seen any photos of him yet so i am wondering if it is a little pr exercise to get chins wagging, either that or franklin got some nasal spray and a few boxes of eggs for camp.

Aye Hearn was talking about this 6 pack on Talksport this morning as well so he’s all of a sudden brilliant. I’d say Joshua in 5 or 6. Long enough so that they can say it was a real fight and short enough so that they can say he’s back to his blistering best.

Dillian Whyte was awful last time out and i think it made Franklin look half decent, Aj should make light work of this fight in my opinion, normally I would give another heavyweight a punchers chance even if they are a poor boxer but he seems to have lacked power so far

• Advertisement

Franklin is muck, but as we all know, sometimes a shot, or shots don’t have to be dynamite to end a fight. Ruiz didn’t land bombs on AJ and he got the job done…

Well I agree with your take on Franklin and the general point but I think Ruiz hit him with hard, unexpected and good combinations that hook to the temple to start it all off was so well timed. Trying to think of good examples of when a shot did real damage but didn’t look all that powerful. Ali Liston for one. Gorman and Wardley, I watched it the other night again and really can’t see where Gorman got himself into so much trouble. Often enough eye issues can be caused from something that didn’t look all that hard.

I watched Aj v ruiz again the other day and some of the shots were hard and he followed them up with a fast flurry of shots, he was very quick for a big guy

Yes, decent shots, but nothing too heavy. The follow ups were key. I’ll make AJ 20-1 on here, but you just don’t know.

Anthony Joshua says Tyson Fury can "redeem himself from the circus" of a collapsed undisputed heavyweight bout by agreeing to fight him.

Talks between Oleksandr Usyk, the WBO, WBA (Super) and IBF champion, and WBC title-holder Fury broke down last week.

Joshua, 33, faces American Jermaine Franklin on Saturday in his first bout in 2023.

He says he wants an all-British fight with Fury, whatever the outcome against Franklin at the O2 Arena.

Joshua said: "There's no better time to get Fury in the ring than now because he needs me to redeem himself from this circus, this letdown. 

"He needs me so there's no better time than for him to call my name out and I'm someone that will take on any challenge."

Aj and Hearn looking for a bumper pay day, and why not

Aye the bookies have him 1/12

Joshua might not be too far wrong with that. It’s an exciting fight and anything could happen. Joshua could find himself quite popular going into it and the pressure is off him. His two fights with Usyk will have taught him some lessons meanwhile Fury fought Chisora and Whyte. If Joshua backed himself and let his hands go that’s not an easy night for Fury who would need to be at the top of his game to win, or win well

I have no problem with Fury being a favorite v AJ, but Fury can’t just show up. If AJ gives it a proper proper go, then he has a very good chance.

Fury has shown how vulnerable he can be to heavy shots, and AJ is a far better overall puncher than the disjointed and wild and inaccurate Wilder.

Fury might just be getting made far too much a certainty by beating Wilder, who is not great at all. Bar a straight right hand!!

anyway, be no surprise at all if Fury dodges it by making his usual deliberate and unacceptable demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Even after some poor losses . Joshua just can't resist the Rocky training montage videos 😊

You would think he would cop on that it's time to forget the hype and look how muscular I am bollox.

He does what he’s told by his pr team and many sponsors

Absolutely not. Lesser fighters than Joshua have given him plenty of trouble in the past including Wilder. It depends on what Joshua does when he gets hit. I dont see Fury mixing it on the inside with him or wrestling him around like with Wilder I think he will try to jab the head off Joshua. Joshua for his part needs to get into the heat and get some combos off. If Joshua has the right mentality and doesn’t fear losing I make it about 60-40. If he went and fought timid then its 80-20 and he could be chasing a ko in 11 and 12 or stopped with exhaustion himself

I dont really care what Joshua does for his training videos etc its his thing.

• Advertisement

Yep. Past peak fading fighter… thing is, the top four are all past peak/fading really.

Frank Warren has sent in medical clearance for dubois to show he’s fit for Usyk

Be some gas if Dubois knocked Usyk out and Joyce knocked Fury out!!!!

the aj press conference is on now, aj looks bored shi7less

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭reclose

Fury has annoyed me so much over the undisputed fight that I’d be up for Joshua against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If Dubois and Joyce were in the ring at the same time against Usyk they still would not win.

As for AJ.....not sure if it is just the DAZN coverage or not but it seems like he is just there for the cash.

He is getting loads of questions like "Well AJ, it seems like we are seeing a new fighter this week", and AJ just is not interested.

Everybody is pushing AJ vs Fury now for some reason, I think AJ has no chance with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Joyce gives Usyk huge problems ,

I think he gives everyone huge problems

Really?? Is he quick enough to get to Usyk? I think Usyk’s foot and handspeed give him all the trouble he wants. His stamina and volume may get to Usyk late enough on. I think he would have the mindfulness to jab away at Usyk’s trunk in order to set up his head shots. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen him clinching he more throws the jab but I think that would suit Usyk. He would have to alter his style more than Usyk would. I think Fury beats him on points by a fair margin. Wilder and Joshua (a good Joshua) it’s hard to say, I think Joyce is much mentally tougher than both at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

AJ has actually come out of all this recent mess looking pretty good.

To be fair to him, he will fight anybody. Usyk was his mandatory, took the fight. Hearn, everybody else telling him not to take the rematch with Usyk straight away. Said no and went right back in. Took less for the rematch. Usyk's team said very easy to deal with on the financial side of things.

Fury on the other hand....

• Advertisement

Fury has lost an awful lot respect/fans from what I see, and no surprise.

He really needs a 2-3 more fights against the others if he wnats to be seen as the best of this era.

Advertisement