Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's fair. I just remember this discussion happening before which is where I learned about Grover Cleveland. I'm sure Trump would be pushing for himself to be referred to as the 47th President, just so he can sell recycled merch with 45 changed to 47.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Rawr

Blow their trumpet? I live in Scandinavia mate, and I have yet to see people blowing any instrument on the matter, festivly or otherwise. For someone who says that they are not a Trump fan, I am getting a very MAGA vibe from what you are writing.

You keep declaring him the 47th President in your posts, suggesting that the MAGA-crowd aren't racist (but many clearly are alas) and now I detect some kind of Pro-Choice Hollywood Conspricacy in the tone of this text. We have Trump fans here, you wouldn't be alone, but please be honest about it if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

But why are they outside the DAs office? Trump wont be going there even if he is arrested. What they should be doing is protesting outside Mar-a-lago and preventing law enforcement from going in to arrest him. Which would be hilarious as in 2021 DeSantis passed a law that made it illegal to block a public road

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah this lawyer Trump has put up seems a red herring to try and discredit Cohen. Problem for Trump is there are reports saying the grand jury found Michael Cohen to be a compelling witness and prosecutors were pleased they asked him back for testimony a second time and they spent a couple of hours asking him questions about his testimony. Prosecutors said a grand jury being engaged to that level is a good signal for it to go to a full trial.

Have also read that when he is arrested he will do a perp walk but he wont be handcuffed. Probably as he would use those photographs to say look at what the Democrats have done to me, first they stole the election and now this blah de blah. He'll play the victim so no point cuffing him to help him play it even better.

I think the cops are taking this too seriously anyway, there wont be the mass scale protests Trump is hoping for as there isnt a central place for them to gather. I can see MAGA heads protesting outside the various state parliaments but only in small numbers, we are not going to see any repeat of Jan 6th as his supporters are littered all over the country. Im more interested in the Georgia charges anyway, this Stormy Daniels stuff is small compared to actually trying to steal an election.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They won't turn up in numbers for him and cause trouble

They did that on January 6th and he hung them out to dry - Collected loads of money for the "defence fund" and didn't give a single penny to any of them that were charged.

A few elderly weirdos in hats and t-shirts will turn up with banners etc. but the "gravy seals" that were around on January 6th will stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Gravy Seals... Hahahahhahahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 81,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fox is rightly fucked on the dominion case, one of their producers flipped and is filing suit against Fox News for illegally coaching her to give false and misleading testimony that damaged her reputation to benefit Fox News.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To those complaining that the Manhattan DA has no business prosecuting Trump after prosecutors decided not to, well, they didnt decide not to prosecute trump. They were told not to. Colour me shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

The fact that the Wall Street Journal and Washington Post have both published editorials from people who want to convince others that it wasn't an insurrection doesn't mean that the papers support those opinions. As to the "many millions" those same people think that Trump actually won the election, so I don't think I'm going to put any stock in their opinions. An insurrection is a violent uprising against an authority or government. The idiots in question stormed Congress to try and stop them from confirming the winner of the election. With weapons. And people died. The fact that it failed doesn't stop it from having been an insurrection. And if it isn't punished then it will just have been a practice run.

Though I do agree that it is unlikely that Trump will ever actually have to pay for his crimes. The justice system in the US is stacked very much in favour of the rich and/or powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I don’t think it’s happening. 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looks like ye will have to save the mountains of popcorn for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

The fact the editor in chief of both left-wing publications would allow such pieces to be published proves there is a discussion to be had on whether it was an insecurrition or not. Even left leaning people do not agree with redefining words and changing language to suit agendas

An insecurrition is not a "violent uprising against the government" Thats what comes up when you type the word into google and it describes a riot , violent protest etc. This simplistic definition would describe the violent protest on the white house that moved Trump into the bunker as an insurrection.

An insurrection is violent action that is taken by a large group of people against the rulers of their country, usually in order to remove them from office.

The intent to remove government from office is what distinguishes a riot from an insurrection. Its an insult to someone's intelligence to say that the crowd went to the capitol with the intent to violently overthrow the government. Its absurd.

They went to protest which is a right protected by the amendment. just like the two years previous the protest got violent. Its worth remembering that nobody is saying they were right , it wasn't as bad as it seems , they were only tourists or whatever. It got pretty bad. But if that was a real insurrection it would have been a blood bath as that building is one of the most well guarded and protected sites in America. It also begs the question why the insurrection wasn't foiled before it began and why it was allowed to gain momentum?? Surely you don't believe US intelligence were unaware an insecurrition was being planned and organized and enacted to keep Trump in the white house ?

If you what to know what a real insecurrition is and why the term is being misused read this post from a true blue Democrat.

Both of those publications publish far right editorials all of the time.

The 6 January insurrection was literally an attempt to stop the duly elected President from being able to take office. That is what the people who were doing it said at the time that they were doing it. They were there to stop Congress from declaring Biden the winner. Trying to pretend after the fact that it was "just a protest" is laughable.

You're fully entitled to hold that opinion. The failure to address even the most basic observations about that day denotes opinion based on ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You've literally posted opinion pieces and delivered them as fact. People have been charged and convicted for sedition, all the rest is moot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

So the protestors didn't break into the Capitol building in an attempt to hinder the counting of the electoral college votes and 'stop the steal'?

And you are welcome to hold your opinion. Your insistence on trying to obscure the basic facts of what actually happened that day denotes an opinion based on ideology rather than fact.

I'll go ahead and stick with the facts. You know, things like them screaming about wanting to kill the sitting Vice President because he wouldn't go against the will of the people and declare Trump the winner. As well as screaming about wanting to kill several other highly placed members of the government. All of whom were in the building they were breaking into at the time. A number of people have already been convicted of Seditious Conspiracy over their participation in the 6 January insurrection.

Neither Trump nor any of his supporters are guilty of being insurrectionists. The facts are on my side not yours.

Well, the far right fringe would like everyone to believe that they were just tourists that might have gotten a little bit out of hand. Which interestingly includes people who on the day were begging Trump to call them off. And now want to pretend like nothing happened.

That's the thing about a failed attempt to overthrow the government. If it doesn't get punished it is just a practice run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here's Senator Lindsay Graham R-SC offering no objection whatsoever to referring to January 6 as an "Insurrection"

I'm sure as loathsome as the Senator is he holds more clout than anyone on this thread and has more to lose by it being referred to cordially as an insurrection.

None of them have been convicted of the specific crime called Insurrection. That doesn't change the fact that what happened that day qualifies as an insurrection by the definition of the word. Even the narrowed definition that you posted. Insurrection is a lesser crime than seditious conspiracy. Seditious conspiracy is a serious but lesser counterpart of treason. They weren't convicted of Insurrection because the prosecution decided to go with the bigger charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Trump has no less than 17 different outstanding legal cases against him, there are going to be popcorn shortages. Big Popcorn are predicting their best year yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So why did the peaceful protesters choose to break windows to get into this entirely public place where they had a right to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Never fear, they're coming. This one is the tip of a very large iceberg for Trump. It'll be a fine day for law and order around the world when this cretin is brought up on charges, and he really has nobody but himself to blame for any of it.

Anybody who describes the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post as left wing is not someone worth responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think is fair to say that the only people who believe they were not insurrectionists are the insurrectionists themselves and their supporters or trump/GQP supporters. Some on this very thread believed they were tourists and getting a guide tour.

So, you say to-may-to, we say to-mah-to. You say tourists or bystanders we say insurrectionists or domestic terrorists. Let's call the whole thing off...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Guess it was another lie from Trump. After all he was the one who said he'd be arrested on Tuesday.

Advertisement