Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valencia Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

I don’t think many of the €70 where left before today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭CR 7

Yeah I was around 2200th in the queue and they were at around 11500 entries by the time I got past the queue so it must have been close to it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

In for 2023 myself, first marathon in four years. I’ll be very happy to get to the start line the way I’ve been suffering with injuries the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 t00019475

Looking for some info help for this year's event. Is there a direct flight from Dublin or Cork and is there a return flight on the Monday.

Just looking for info from runners who travelled in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Regarding Cork last year Ryanair flew out on the Thursday but their return direct flight left early on the Sunday.

I flew out direct and return via Manchester to Cork. You could check for flights Alicante to Cork also as you might have other options there but obviously you would need to factor in bus/train.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info. Trying to tie in a weekend break for the misses, it's her birthday on the Monday. So I'm skating on thin ice as it is lol

The accommodation is really costly, I presume public transport runs into the city on the morning. As I might stay outside the city, cheaper rates

Everywhere is expensive now for accommodation.

Metro line I was starting at 7am last year and still had a walk to start line drop bags area. If they ran the metro a few more stops would have made it easier but didn’t for some reason. Hadn’t a clue where I was going and was stressing a little until I found the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I would suggest that you find someplace as close to the start line as possible. While the metro during the week is pretty frequent the race is on a Sunday and there were long delays with jam packed trains on the day. It was like they didn't factor in that thousands of people would need them in the hours before the start. I stayed about 25 minutes or so from the start by train and allowed 2 hours to get in. I ended up getting to the start with about 10 minutes to spare. The delays for the trains were much worse on the day and there was lots of restrictions on buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Agreed. I was lucky enough to get an AirBnB close to the start area (close as in maybe a 30 min walk) and was cheap too, about 100 euro for 2 nights.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the info, hope the training is going well and happy St. Patrick's Day

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brenny123

Hi folks, any suggestions for hotels in Valencia, close to start/finish that are not crazy prices. Where did you stay and what did you think? What did you think of the marathon? I've only heard good reports of the route etc. Thanks for any inputs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Heading over for the half on October 22nd, didn't bother with trying to stay close to the start line, just went with a city center AirBNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

Flights have come on line with Ryanair for the full in December, just accomodation to sort now.

I’ve just booked my flights also. Friday to Sunday for me. 2 of us going over so one living the high life with 10kg bag and 1 pheasant traveller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

I'm not sure they accommodate feathered friends onboard Ryanair.

Anyone have an idea on qualifying times for pens for none marathon distance races?

Flights seem to be more expensive than last year. I guess no flight on Thursday and the flight on Saturday has pushed people to Friday. Saturday flight got cancelled as I know someone was thinking of coming over to support on the Saturday. They might go a different way to get there now.

How’s everyone training coming along. Anyone doing Dublin as a training run? I’m just doing it as a tempo. Will be easy run until probably turn at Bushy Park and then try MP all the way home from there or somewhere along the way. Might wait till 30km. Will see how I feel and conditions on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

I'm Friday to Monday, booked awhile ago, found the price ok, but the accommodation, way more expensive than last year.

In saying that, it's an amazing event, really looking forward to it.

I did Dublin last year and wish I didn't, although I ran it the opposite of your plan. Went hard for first 30k and then jogged in. It definitely compromised my next couple of weeks training and then it was nearly taper time.

I did Dublin before it last year also but kind of similar to you. Went to do it easy and when I look back I was wtf was I doing. Much faster than I thought I was doing and even pulled it back more over last 10km. I’ll be starting at the back of wave one and just running super easy this year. I expect some from wave 2 to catch me before I go to mp. I’m staying around 39/40km point in Valencia. I left it late last year so hadn’t much choice but seems about 10% higher than last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'm going Friday to Thursday, out through Alicante and back from Valencia. That's the way the Cork flights worked out best. I booked a hotel by the expo for the Saturday night and since it was through the race site it has a shuttle bus to and from the race and 4pm checkout. I thought the prices were reasonable enough early on after registration opened, but I procrastinated until about a month ago and there was nothing for a decent price anywhere closer to the race.

I was thinking about doing the new half on the Greenway in Dungarvan the start of November, it's nicely timed for it, and probably similarly flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

My Valencia 2023 plans are a little unique. Would be my fifth time doing the full here, but that won't be happening. I have decided not to sell the bib though and am aiming to get to Halfway - I'm up to 9k in training! - and then spend rest of the morning supporting others.

If I get there in one piece it'll be my first ever DNF I think, in 15 years of running. But it won't be like a normal DNF where you'd be gutted and hating life. This is planned and I'll be happy to take part, enjoy the run and the afters.

Talking of which..... The plan will almost certainly be Tyris on Tap just a 100 metres from the Central market main entrance, on the other side of the street. Google is your friend. Unfortunately, the Eagle lads from Cork are flying back that afternoon..... Luckily for them, they're fairly fast so they should make the flight!!

Hope training is going well. Might bump into a couple of ye that evening.

Flight choices this year are poor this year. Cork is go from finish line to airport

A few changes to route from last year. More around the section around 8km which way we run and a slight change @ 24km

How are ye all feeling, lads? No nerves on my side, which is a new one! Still hoping to do the Half. Kness aren't great and some days the auld hip acts up but I've done a 16.6 and an 18k run in training so I should be able to make it to 21k anyway. If the legs haven't folded by then I might try to get to about 23.5 which is near enough the finish. Not 100% sure of the situation with non-finishers getting into the bag drop area though..........

Most importantly of course, is the shiter-talking, beer-drinking session planned (I use the term loosely) for that evening in Tyris on Tap. By the way, the weather looks like playing ball. Under 20 degree high looks guarranteed and the early morning low could be a chilly one.

Any bib numbers to track ye?

I’ve been stop and start since August. Achilles tendinitis back then. Chest infection day before Dublin marathon. Now rolled my ankle on Friday. One tendon is injured but should be ok to run. Just one tester run before it to see if I want strapping or not. It’ll be strapped for tester but recommended not to wear it Sunday as strap could become painful as foot swells naturally but strap won’t expand. So will be going with the flow on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Training went well, slow though..Knees are a bit dodgy but barring a major disaster I will make it around..I'll know after 5 miles how it is shaping up..

As usual I'm over thinking it..

I'd say it will be chilly Sunday morning, which is fine by me.

Post beer sounds great, I'll meet you there. Valencia is a lovely spot.

My race number is 1200.

Anyone else flying Friday morning from Dublin ?

Im flying Friday morning and back Sunday night. The joys of kids under 8 where leaving them in grandparents for 3 nights with the early flight on Friday so an extra night and school drops can’t be asking for Sunday drops on Monday also.

Im literally doing Ryanair all weekend no is 7737 for all the airline people will get it. Plan was initially 3.09.59 and all going well 3:07 and worse case a pb of 3:12:20 which I did last year here. Hopefully do a test run tomorrow with a few minutes at 3 hour pace to test the body and foot. Just to waken up everything and foot straight into a bucket of ice water when I come in. I’m just in the mindset of getting around and bringing a medal home along with 2 of them bull teddies. That will make 2 kids happy

Weather is looking close to perfect for Sunday. Low of 5 (the locals will be dressed like reindeer herders at the start) and a high of 15. Light winds too. Contrast that with today..... Low of 18 (!!!) and a high of 26. That's a bit much even for Valencia on November 30th.

Anyone who's going for a serious time could be in luck.

• Advertisement

Any recommend somewhere for a bit of lunch around xativa or colon? Thinking of a bit of lunch after dropping the bags at hotel and before heading to expo to pick up the numbers and place to get pizza etc for Saturday. Even a takeaway pizza would do. Thanks

Advertisement