Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When I was on multiple injections I had a split of my basal so some in the morning and some in the evening. Cannot now remember the way they split it, but it wasn't an even split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

Is there any pump available in Ireland that can be controlled (ie- bolus given) from the mobile phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭ebbsy

2 odds and ends for ye.

Back from Newcastle after getting the latest scans and mask, no changes since the last visit. Still stable.

My podatrist in Ringsend where I worked disappeared, but I have found somebody really good at home in Monasterevin. She is on the main street.

Anyone here moved from medtronic to Tslim pump? Are you happy? Thinking of switching as i hate medtronic sensors and their tape but can’t make up my mind

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I switched and am fairly happy, judging by the reports here, I am happy I am on the G6 rather than the G7 at the minute. It's fairly close to finger pricks and doesn't seem to suffer as long a lag as my sensor with the Medtronic. Its great that if you can't calibrate when it asks that it keeps going as that really bugged me about Mdetronic. I think my only negative is that it really likes to take the slow way to corrections on the loop system so it acts as if the novorapid remains active in me for 5 hours (but experience tells me its a little over 3 for me, everyone is different). The screen has a scratch on it but its only superficial. It does seem to pick up more dust than the Medtronic when you are changing out insulin you can visibly see the dust in the crevices but its only visual and an OCD thing where I have to clean it down each time. No tape for the sensors and so far with the odd exception, they seem as strong if not stronger than the medtronic tape. I have had one or two come off (not fully, just come loose) but after a week and when I got it caught in something or I had lost a few kilos in sweat from a competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

just been changed from metformin to Forzega 10 mg , had bad nausea with the metformin and a rash on my shins , any one have any experience of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Finally been diagnosed with treatment induced neuropathy in diabetics.

10 months in now and still in excruciating pain most of the day. The retinopathy has cleared though but my gastric emptying is still extremely delayed.

even if I just take 1u of insulin and eat I’ll drop before my blood sugar goes up, it then levels off and I’ll get a 2nd spike around 3-4 hours. I can manage this well enough by splitting my bolus doses every time but this has become.. exhausting.. so recently I’ve been skipping the second dose and will just correct it later when I have the mental energy. Life would probably be so much easier on a pump but who knows how long that will take to even apply for.

anyway gotta keep chugging along and pray for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry to hear you've been afflicted with neuropathy Kremin. It can be both very painful and very hard to keep under any kind of control. My main advice would be to ensure that whoever is managing your diabetes, your Endo or your DNS refer you on to your local pain management team.

Best of luck in getting on top of it.

Thanks! I’ll ask about that next time I see the endocrinologist. She is hopeful it will all disappear within a year of good glucose control so I’m trying to stay optimistic. Recently the good days have started to fight back against the dark days but I’m not sure if that’s because I’m improving or just becoming desensitised to it.

Another G7 sensor failed during warmup.

I've no spare and can't get fresh supplies until Monday. Not a huge inconvenience but the failure rate now is 4 out of 7.

After replacement No1, all sensors have been placed on abdomen as recommended by Dexcom. Since then 3 more sensor failures with 2 of those during initial warm up.

57% failure rate on sensors to date is appalling.

I used G6 for over 12 months and in that time, I think I had 2 but definitely no more than 3 fails. Whereas with the G7, I have had only 3 sensors out of 7 actually run their expected duration.

• Advertisement

Two things, first, you are a prime candidate for a pump and closed loop system so really hammer that home, it is a risk to your safety with the way you keep dropping. Second, would you be better off dosing after eating. When I was younger I had to do that, eat and then give a shot straight after dinner.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Yeah the endo said the same, that she’d really like me on one but it caught me off guard so I immediately said no because I didn’t think it’d be compatible with my life (young child loves jumping on me and sleeping were biggest fears) but reading people’s experiences with pumps has changed my view on that. So I will definitely be asking to apply for one or start the process when I next see her at my 1 year review. Yeah I’m experimenting with post bolusing but getting the timing right is tough, sometimes the food hits very quick and sometimes it doesn’t so it’s learning the patterns and adjusting for them at the moment.

the nurses really weren’t happy with me splitting boluses and extremely unhappy with post bolusing so it left me a little lost.

in other news I had my nerve conduction study, didn’t hurt as much as I thought it would but boy was it uncomfortable

Post bolusing is no different than a correction dose in reality so why they would be annoyed is confusing, better to go a bit higher for a small bit longer than go low and something else happens. The other benefit with post boluses is that if you have a bit more or less than you planned, then you can adapt. Like you said though, the type of food is a big one as well, still the same for me but you learn to either avoid certain foods or change how you treat what on paper should be the same in regards carbohydrates.

I was the same as you and refused the pump when first offered. If you have a young child, it will get ripped out, just the way of things, you will also get it caught on things. Seatbelts seem to be where I have a mental block and often find myself tied to the car. Between the CGM and the adjusting on the fly, it is a no brainer to get it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭feedthegoat

Having now got a dexcom 7 am wondering if it is possible to link readings to a garmin watch. Seems there is a Connect app available to download n the US but not here. Any ideas anyone?

Don't have the G7 but does the Dexcom Connect app not come through the Irish store, not sure if its G7 compatible though https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=urGLazwTsJ9qYnC5sC1289

This is worrying, same with my medtronic sensors, the newer they are, the more problems and fails. I don’t understand why, i’d expect newer releases to be better (?)

Today was a sensor change day, the sensor I was wearing lasted the full 10 days and I changed in the grace period. 1st sensor was DOA, failed with "pairing unsuccessful" message.

I contacted Dexcom via the app, replacement sensor will be here in 2 days. Luckily I picked up my repeat prescription on Saturday so I had a new sensor immediately to hand.

Failure rate is still running at almost 60% which is quite concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So again this month I am having trouble getting hold of my ozempic. Last month I managed to get some by ringing around the local pharmacies. this time that hasn't worked. The only place that had any is keeping them for their regular customers. does anybody know of any pharmacies in Dublin that have some in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

got my first blood results 3 months after diagnosis today , HbA1c was 59 now 43 , on 10mg forziga a day and cut nearly all processed food , only downer was my b12 levels were low but seem to be heading in the right direction

sorry about bold font

Well done on getting a 43, that's a great result. Its great when you can see changes you make paying off in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Hi. Long time lurker here. Am diagnosed Type 2 the last 3 years after illness and coping well on Metformin mostly.

My only issue is my GP who is a nice caring person but because I am a nurse myself assumes I am au fait with everything and has never checked my feet or anything other than hbA1c and cholesterol., and routine bloods.

In fairness he did get my BP and heart checked out early on.

But I have been struggling to get bloods checked 6 monthly (they want to do it yearly?)

I have been getting retinal screening and am on LTI (had the card as had gestational diabetes on one). So have a glucometer and the 50 strips a month.

I got my feet checked just last year myself.

I am feeling a bit lost tbh and worried that something else is being missed.

Had surgery recently and for someone with relatively normal blood sugars (5.5 to 6/7 most mornings) and good hbA1c my control went mad.

I know illness and stress affects your sugars not to mention fasting and anaesthetic drugs, but wow they went crazy.

Anyway just touching base here as wanted to for a while.

My question is do you guys think I should bite the bullet and ask my GP to refer me to an Endo?

My care is a bit fragmented imo at present. The only thing that would make me complicated is the renal thing though so not sure if that is enough?

Or is that ott?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

>>My question is do you guys think I should bite the bullet and ask my GP to refer me to an Endo?

You mean they haven't? Honestly I wouldn't trust a GP to manage my diabetes. I certainly wouldn't trust MY GP.

No they haven't. Referred me

GPs meant to be managing uncomplicated diabetes in the community. But I suppose it depends on their resources.

But yes, I am losing the faith. Good GP but probably too much going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

100% should ask for referral to an endocrinologist. There is no downside. If they see you and everything's fine, zero harm done. If they pick up on something, all for the best. At the very least it will give you peace of mind. I'm not sure what the position is with endocrinologists and T2 diabetics, but if you don't ask....

If they haven't checked for peripheral neuropathy then they aren't managing your diabetes.

Thanks.

Have bloods coming up so will ask then.

As others have said already, if your doctor isn't doing peripheral neuropathy and other checks? They aren't really managing your diabetes.

My own practice runs a chronic disease management programme via a CNS. I get Hba1c and KFT, LFT and other bloods every 6 months. The flow is a visit for the blood draw and a week later, back in with the CNS for a foot check, height/weight/waste and once that's done. In with the GP for a meds review.

All that runs concurrently with my current once a year endo review.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A couple of things.

I've been on the G7 now for a few months - find it generally great. Has really improved my attitude and assisted greatly in management of the illness.

I've had about three failed sensors for three different reasons and to befair there were no issues getting free replacements. So all good there.

Due a checkup in July and I wanted to ask you all are many of you on pumps? If so what pump are you on and what are the pros and cons from a day to day basis?

I am not sure if I want to get a pump, but with the CGM I can see some benefits.

Finally, the news that Dexcom are setting up a facility in Galway with 1000 jobs and 500 during constuction finally explains some of why Dexcom has been the chosen GCM for the past number of months with the HSE and potentially why the requiments to get a CGM have been loosened somewhat.

I aint complaining, a CGM is a brilliant part of the tool kit to live with an manage this.

Thanks for the support.

Have found it increasingly difficult over the last year to get bloods taken and to get any feedback.

I didn't know I should be getting my foot pulses etc checked until I went to the diabetic chiropodist.

My gp nurse has started doing 6 monthly checks for diabetics but when I asked I was told it was 'only for GMS patients ' ! 😯 Thought that was a bit mad so I will discuss with the GP .

I was happy to pay no problem but don't know what the story is .

If they cannot or will not offer the service I need I am going to ask to be referred .

Thank you .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Benefits of a pump...

Don't need to remember to take the insulin pens with you when you head out as it's all attached.

Can make micro adjustment to dosage without needing to stab yourself for each biscuit.

Can make more precise adjustment to basal rate over 24 hour periods.

Can make adjustments to basal rate prior to exercise.

Cons...

Door handles and getting tangled in them.

Lots of extra bits of cable and canulas to pack when going on holiday.

Need to change/ recharge batteries, but you do that with your phone daily already so no biggie doing it for the pump every few days/weeks depending on the pump.

People think you are wearing a pager.

If you are self conscious of diabetes and trying to hide it can be tricky with certain clothes. Personally I don't care who knows and the more that see it the better I think.

Very occasionally get blocked tubing and that can very rapidly result in ketones as you will have zero long acting insulin, pumps only use fast acting.

Very rarely I get a badly placed canula and then it stings like... Erm... A very stingy thing when you take a bolus. Just change the set though to sort that.

Advertisement