Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Great to hear that Noctura is still working out for you Ebbsy. Always look forward to your updates. On that fluid imaging machine? Is it the one that laser scans your eye and gives a depth profile?

I know that on my previous referral to the opthalmic clinic, a machine of that type was used. After being discharged from the clinic back to DRS I've had a few years of stability.

On my last DRS check I was referred back to the second line care. This time, rather than being sent to my local opthalmic clinic? I was referred to the new DRS surveillance service, which is a very similar setup to normal DRS but with that scanner for fluid depth.

Fingers crossed it comes back as still incipient and they are just being cautious.

Fantastic result, really should be proud of yourself for that improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Banie01

Yes the machine is as you describe.

My condition was self inflicted. I had a lot of laser and injections before Noctura.

Control of blood pressure and do not smoke are the 2 most important things.

In the UK the makers of the mask Polyphotonix even have a mobile setvice where they come to wherever you live, or to your hotel.

Good luck with your scans by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

To anyone who received pump upgrade in the Mater hospital-how did you receive it? By post? Did they provide you any tracking number or anything? Thanks

My own scans went ok. I'm still at the "incipient" stage. I will now be monitored on a 6month interval at the DRS surveillance clinic, rather than my local hospital clinic.

• Advertisement

Thats good news bud.

I also have a checkup at the Eye and Ear every year. They do a great job there and the place is a lot less busy since Covid.

They still are not using the mask though...........

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭baby fish

HI, question about Dexcom and G7 APP. I've set up G7 app on a non compatible Samsung A13 (SM-A137F) using Build your own Dexcom , its working fine. Just wondering should I occasionally check to see if there are any updates for G7 on BYODa? or forget about it now that it is working?

Also, I am thinking of changing my phone to an Samsung a14, model is sm-A146P/DSN.

Dexcom lists sm-A146 as compatible with G7, I presume the extra P in model number is ok? I cant find a model with just sm-A146

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

@baby fish

I check maybe once every few weeks just to see if any major updates to it if not I just leave it.

As for the Samsung model best thing to do is open a chat with one of the Dexcom reps on their site and give them the model to double check its compatible, I think P might signify a regional model variation and shouldn't make a difference.but worth checking with the Dexcom Rep

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭baby fish

May I ask what company do you guys and girls use for travel insurance ?

• Advertisement

1 thing to be aware of using BYODA is that if you don't have an update for 6 months, that the app will throw up a connection error. It's rectified by just reinstalling it. I was thrown by this when it happened me but it's explained in the BYODA github as an intermittent integrity check.

So if you never update, the app will throw the error after 6 months to force an update.

I have annual Travel Insurance included in my Revolut metal plan. The issue of loading for diabetes was queried by me and they came back to confirm that no additional loading would apply for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is anyone else struggling to source FIASP insulin? My pharmacist hasn't had any vials for a couple of weeks now, and does not know when this will change. I found a 'shortage notification' on hpra.ie:

https://www.hpra.ie/docs/default-source/Shortages-Docs/fiasp-vial-shortage-letter-15-june-2023_final.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Which suggests this should have been resolved this week, but as yet there's no sign. I just got back from my pharmacist who gave me FIASP pens as a stop-gap. I can fill pump reservoir from pens for now, but it's not ideal.

I almost always keep a good stock of insulin, and one of the only times I let it dwindle there's a shortage of the stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm confused, were you diagnosed with Diabetes and they gave you CREON or you have issues with pancreatic enzymes and they think you are Diabetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Diagnosed with T1 Diabetes and then later with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. CT scans and other tests were all fine so not sure how my pancreas got so damaged but here we are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Portrush Postman

Hi everyone; I’m new to the site and recently diagnosed type 1. I’ve been getting foot ulcers and wondering if anyone could recommend the best foot ware to use? I need a wide fit, deep toe box and after doing a lot of research online, I’m none the wiser!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fit is more important than anything else followed by quality. Don't do online research for it, go to a shop that still fits shoes and get a recommendation. After that, keep your feet dry at all times (as in properly dry after bath, if you have been out in the rain, get them out and dry as soon as is reasonably practicable), don't expose to extreme temperatures (although I never abide by this) and do your best to get good glycaemic control (easier said than done but a CGM is a game changer). Where are you based? People might have recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Hello everyone 👋

Starting Dafne in a few weeks and pretty nervous. Was asked to ensure I get bloodwork done before and log everything coming up to the appointment. Numbers have not been great recently so I’m worried there’s gonna be a lot of judgement :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

RTE news : Pharmacists to be given power to extend prescriptions

Looks like we won't need to get prescriptions renewed every 6 months for much longer.

The last 3 months have been the hardest I've put down in 20yrs in relation to my diabetes management. It's been rough enough on the personal front. I lost one of my younger brother's in July and no doubt grief has a part to play in where I'm at currently.

My HbA1C is still surprisingly decent at 7.9% but the time in range, and hitting extreme lows (lower than 3) and those lows are gaming my HbA1C. Time in range over the last 90 days has dropped from years of being quite consistent in the 70% plus in the green, to 55% and over the last 30 days it's even worse at 46%. Despite being out of target range for over half the time, my a1c for that time is reading at 7.8%.

On top of the personal issues over the last while, I'm dealing with quite a severe pain issue that is restricting my movement. If I'm upright for any amount of time, I end up in severe renal and ilioinguinal pain. From my kidney to my knee, the pain is a combination of renal colic and burning nerve pain, with an dollop of scrotal Pain just to add a cherry on top.

Pain management involves neuropathic meds, ice-packs and elevation and if any movement or travel is needed? Then it's planning the day around when I can take top up opioids.

I'm in with the endocrine/diabetes team next month and hopefully I can get some strategy or tips on how to better manage my BG rather than just upping basal insulin and bolusing.

I'll get on top of it, and at least regain a modicum of good control 😉 If nothing else?

Think of my moaning above as an example of just how quickly and by how much stress and external factors can affect our health and our diabetic control.

I had that problem.

2 things.

1. Shoes have to be properly fitted. I went to Lyles in Portarlington. Not cheap but these guys are the best.

2. Socks. Wear them inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

--Certain medications will not be eligible for prescription extension.

I'm curious what medications will be ineligible.

Actually further to my previous post there is also a very good podatrist working out of Lyles shoeshop as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You've got to hope that the types of meds that people like ourselves might have been on for years would be the easiest to put on this scheme. Insulin, Metformin etc

My Doctor gave me GRANUFLEX dressings for the foot ulcers. These proved very useful as they only have to be changed every 4 days or so.

With regard to the shoes, you can get them from the HSE but it takes years.

I didnt have time to wait.

Just as a follow up to my foot posts :

I was back to see Richard Barrett Podatrist in Portarlington yesterday.

Blisters are now gone and big toe ulcer is 95% healed.

He said the shoes and runners have made a huge difference.

He told me to start using CCP foot cream at night time, I tried it last night and it felt great.

• Advertisement

Over in Newcastle again having got another 6 months of Noctura 400 masks. £600.

The scans this time show that the condition is actually showing signs of improvement for the first time since 2012. This is after 4 years of usage.

As this technology is new there is no data yet to show any point in the future where I can stop using it. So I have to continue using it.

Advertisement