Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Trundles ?????

1. A small wheel or roller.

2. The motion or noise of rolling: "The train is in full trundle now, wheels singing on the tracks" (Michael Lowenthal).

3. A trundle bed.

4. A low-wheeled cart; a dolly.

v. trun·dledtrun·dlingtrun·dles

v.tr.

1. To push or propel on one or more wheels or rollers: "I doubt if Emerson could trundle a wheelbarrow through the streets" (Henry David Thoreau).

2. To carry, convey, or cause to move, especially in a vehicle: "His mother had trundled him off to Sunday school ... right up to the time he was ten" (Tom Wolfe).

v.intr.

1. To move along by rolling or spinning: The bus trundled down the road.

2. To move slowly, noisily, or clumsily: The sheep trundled through the gate into the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The added importance of tactics and effective use of space in the modern game has done the very opposite of dumbing it down, whatever you think about what it has done to the sport as a spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,829 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You have a point there El, and a good one, the arrival of ‘tactics’ in GF is a fairly new phenomenon.

Back in the day it was lump it up and take your chances and with a 50-50 contest.

Then the blanket defense came in, the smother tackle, and it all descended into a slug fest and a struggle.

Not edifying in my opinion, and then you have trundles trying to defend this sludge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wonder will it get worse before it gets better? or has it slumped to the lowest it can go?

It has a way to go yet. Until all the referees are forced out by the wheelbarrows (to continue the Trundle theme) on the sidelines and online. With their abuse, and ridiculous unworkable new rules.

• Advertisement

What ridiculous unworkable new rules would they be, Dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But there isn't a problem with players passing back to the keeper that there was before the back pass rule came in to soccer.

Watch Ireland v Netherlands in Italia '90 and you will see why the back pass rule came in.

No such situation exist in football.

Stuff like this from page 1 of the thread.

"Bring in a half pitch rule like basketballs half court rule, once you bring the ball over the half it can’t go back over or you forfeit possession.

Must keep a minimum of 3 players in your own and the the opposition half at all times."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭basillarkin

city won 5 out of the last 6 PLs similar to Dublin dominating Sam recently, albeit on a downward trajectory now. Hurling has Limerick as the team to beat, hopefully Kk Tipp Gal et al can knock them off their perch, but hurling is streets ahead of gaelic football rugby and soccer, its not even a debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Treble double

Hurling is such a great game three quarters of the counties on a small island don't even bother taking it seriously.

I have no issue with hurling, I'll watch it, but what turns me off it, is being told its the game of the Gods and the fastest sport on earth and all this malarkey, it has alot of serious flaws and its laughable that the basic equipment of the game sliothars and hurleys have set dimensions that are not adhered to and are not policed.

Anyway this is about Gaelic Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not sure the evidence supports your claim that soccer post-1990 was turned around by innovative coaches. The backpass to the goalkeeper where he could pick the ball was abolished and the offside rule changed as did the red card for taking out the last player in on goal, not to mention various rule tweaks around tackles. "Messing" with the rules is fundamental to introducing any change. 99.999%+ of coaches will neither have the players not the imagination to be successful with a more stylish way of playing, not while defences are quite free to remain massed in front of goal.

Could the GAA hire professional referee’s?

Train people up to the standard required & pay them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,902 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hand passing has ruined the game,

Stopped watching 10 years ago won't be going back

You are not wrong…..almost

Excessive hand passing has ruined the game…..

Is it me or are most players picking the ball off the ground incorrectly? touching the ball with their hands before their foot touches the ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

'“We control the raw material. We are very vigilant in the quality of the raw material. It’s not just a leather ball, it is a tried and tested source that we have used over a long period. So we control the quality of the raw material that goes into the ball."

The weight doesn't matter. It's what they're made with has changed how they react

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Does that quote not say the exact opposite to what you're suggesting?

As in the materials have not changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

I also find it very strange that so many people dont see a problem with hand passing. For me its the elephant in the room...and same in hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the issue with referees is the amount of rules in the book , almost every aspect of the game now is a foul , far too many rules for them to work with which in turn means no consistency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

4 LOI games on Friday night and 3 goals scored in total.

Anyone there who prefers it to Gaelic Football tell is what is so good about it?!

My LOI team have scored 7 goals in their last 3 games. Shamrock rovers v cork city finished 4-4 last monday night. so you cant say there is never any goals scored in LOI games. I love going to a LOI game, even it it ends 0-0 you usually get to see some nice football played, most teams try and play football, not everyone behind the ball like most Gaelic football games these days.

I am a big LOI fan as well. It's a pity that you have to describe GAA football as muck, and insult the fans. Your life would be richer if you could enjoy both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭thebourke

its more handball than football these times...terrible to watch

Yes, and some people cannot see the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The players have the answers as always.. a few good old fashioned brawls in each game keeps the spectators on their toes. All part of tradition and what defines the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭megadodge

"not everyone behind the ball like most Gaelic football games these days"

Now I know for definite you are a complete and utter troll.

What game do you actually think the mass defense and patient, possession-based game tactics are imported from then????

Go on, lie your way out of this one at your peril.

This thread should have been entitled "Pubtalk". The low-level of thinking and laughably hare-brained 'solutions' would make even the local pot-bellied bullshitters blush.

Gaelic football isn't suited to blanket defence, it looks pathetic. You are exactly the kind of fan I was thinking of when I posted the thread. I don't care though, you can have it the way it is, it doesn't bother me, I just cant figure out why people like you defend the indefensible.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed Kerry v Dublin last summer but I cant bring myself to enjoy the other 99% of games. I didn't insult any fans did I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭megadodge

"I don't care though.. it doesn't bother me"

You very obviously do though and it very obviously does!!!

Why start an entire thread on the subject then?

To find out why them fans wont admit football is very poor to watch these days.

And you got everything except a straight answer unfortunately.

Its largely due to excessive hand passing but the diehards won’t admit it.

The players are not going to go back to the old style. So a player in possession is likely to have a couple of forwards and a couple of defenders from the opposition in close attendance, as well as colleagues from their own team. What is the advantage or why is it so necessary to make them kick the ball a few yards, instead of handpassing it? They might not even have room to swing a leg.

If they choose to handpass in more open play, then that is what they want to do, and they rejected the no more than three handpasses experiment. As a means of propelling a football from one player to another, it is a perfectly logical thing to do. The old way went out a long time ago, and it is only the diehard stick in the muds who think it was some sort of golden era.

I wouldn't waste your breath trying yo defend Gaelic Football, there has always been a cohort that have a vendetta against it, let them at it.

I say if you think it's muck watch something else, if you love it don't entertain anyone that trys to run it down.

It's one of our national games, attendances are in rude health, tv viewerships are in rude health.

Enjoy it or watch something else there is plenty of alternatives in today's world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭randd1

Rule Changes I’d like to see in football that I reckon would improve it.

• Once the ball crosses your own 45, and then crosses the opposition 45, the ball cannot go backwards past those lines. Going backwards results in a free to the opposition.
    • No substitutions after the 30/35 minute mark in a half (if you're not needing them before then, you don't need them at all).
    • 4 players designated as forward only. They cannot play the ball in their own half of the field. These players will be marked out differently from other team-mates by wearing armbands of a different colour from the team’s jersey colours.
    • No fisted points.
    • The ball can be picked off the ground
    • 4 steps allowed after a bounce, 6 steps allowed after a toe- tap to speed up forward running.
    • Amend the blood sub rule. All players lying down on the ground have to leave the field for 60 seconds (the time starts when the player crosses the sideline). Either it’s a genuine injury that needs treatment by which after 60 seconds the blood sub comes on for 3 minutes max before a permanent substitution has to take place, or the player lying down feigning injury is off the field for 60 seconds and has to wait until the ball goes out of play to return. It ensures that players with genuine injuries get safe treatment off the field, and players that are feigning injury are removed form play for a minimum 60 seconds.
    • A player has to leave the field strictly before a sub comes on, and from a designated point on the side-line.
    • All timing/substitutions to be administered by the 4th official, the on-field referee has no role in them.
    • All kickouts have to go past the 45.
    • At the throw in’s, all players bar the four midfielders have to be behind the 45 metre lines.

That’s caveman mentality my friend, every sport can be improved, as can Gaelic Football.

No game stays the same, games evolve and develop as the years go on, and to just leave them as they are shows,in my opinion, very challenged thinking.

It won't happen by people coming on the internet calling the game muck telling people they are cavemen. Just because you have an obsession with the handpass. If you are not already a member, join a club. Explain to the players about how they are doing it all wrong. Get the club to persuade the County delegate to Congress to propose your ideas. It does need a two thirds majority, but anything sensible like making 8 players wear armbands is bound to go through.

Dx… you know very well I’m not telling people they are cavemen, I’m saying that thinking which suggests that games should not evolve and that game rules should not be criticised is caveman thinking.

A straight question for you, being I would say a committed and genuine GAA person who gets involved.

Are you happy with the current GAA football product as an enjoyable and entertaining watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Curling is where it's at these days

• Advertisement

Get up to date horse, Aer Lingus are all Airbus these days!!

Ah here, this is my last comment on this, I'll explain it clearly and as simple as I possibly can for you.

The issue for the nay sayers is the very fact that the game is evolving, it has evolved from a man on man catch and kick based game, to a possession based game, with no defined positions on the field.

It will continue to evolve, I wouldn't miss a game with my county involved and as I said previously, people were calling it muck 40 years ago and they will call it muck in 40 years time but it will carry on on its merry way

Just thinking about the good oul days.... good GAA, soccer team makes it to world cup, Aer Lingus has decent aeroplanes

Id say if it turned into rugby, the die hards would still convince themselves its a good watch.

You said that a week ago, and it is still nonsense.

"id say though if Gaelic football turned into rugby, the die hard fans would still say its a great watch, deluded."

Excellent post and very well put , I have to say.

However the real issue here is do we have to accept that without considering how the game is presented

and how entertaining and exciting the watch is.

Are there no improvements which can be made, no tweeks to improve watch ability?

On a recent tv game I counted 47 hand passes in a passage of play without the opposition touching the ball!

Not good viewing could I be so bold to suggest!

End result a free for the opposition!

One of those eh?

Very thirsty machines they were.

I’ll Fexdx you Jethro Tulls best known single.

That shows a massive commitment by the defence. The fitness of the players to be able to execute that is admirable. When that style of play emerged, it was the thing that struck me the most. In the old style most of the players, and certainly the goalkeepers, would be standing around watching the play. Now they have to be involved all over the pitch, often leaving one half of the field nearly deserted.

Uhmm… not really… most of the hand passes were amongst themselves in their own ,say, two thirds of the field.

defense not interested till the ball reached around their 35 metre line .

Just held their spots and shuffled around as the ‘play ‘ went from side to side and backwards.

Shure there you are…..

• Advertisement
Advertisement