Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Kicking those light footballs must be like kicking a balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Ah stop the footballs are exactly the same as they always were.

Have you ever tried to play football with a soccer ball? Any breeze at all and the flight of the ball is seriously affected.

Making footballs lighter would make it actually more difficult to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads they are not made the same way anymore. The materials used to make them have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

I can't see or feel any difference in them anyway.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-30950712.html

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-30950712.html

Good to know that we all weren't imagining things about the footballs being the same as they always were unlike Callaway92

He had me doubting myself but according to that they haven't changed in 30 years just as I thought.

Neither have sliotars changed.

I think the way the hurls have changed is having a big impact on hurling.

They're completely different to those in the 1980's and 1990's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Trying to Swing the thread back to topic….the hand pass…let’s concentrate on that one issue.

Is it time in football to limit its use.

Thats a fairly broad canvas?

• Advertisement

Limit its use in what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Id definitely ban goalkeepers from leaving their goal.

get rid of the mark.

ban frees going backwards.

I wouldn't mess too much with the rules, I'd like to see the handpass point banned and free kicks for the posts taken from the ground.

It will take an innovative coach who can implement an attacking style that is successful to change things.

Coaching in Gaa is very copycat and there are a lot of spoofers out there. Coaching defensively is alot easier than trying to come up with a successful attacking format. It will happen as time goes on.

Look at soccer in the 90s coaches worldwide implemented a direct no nonsense game plan. The 1990 world cup was an awful spectacle but as time has gone on more innovative coaches have implemented more stylish attacking game plans that are easier on the eye.

Change happens slowly in the Gaa because it a sport confined to a tiny island, but a coach will come along that will implement a more stylish way of playing that is successful and will be copied by the rest of the sheep then.

I wouldn't ban keepers from going upfield at all. Why are people so against it?

It adds a bit of chaos and unpredictability to the game and therefore excitement.

Maybe limit that all hand-passes have to go forward. Would be easy to implement which I think any rule change needs to be.

I'd agree that fisted points should be scraped to the bin.

There is no reluctance or fear among the rule makers to make innovations. The game is unrecognisable from its early days. But if they are being asked to make players go back to 1960's football, that is not going to work. Below is a newspaper report from January 2019. Sensible rule changes have been kept, the one to limit handpasses failed.

"The GAA's central council voted to abolish the experimental hand pass rule ahead of the Allianz Leagues next week.

The controversial rule was narrowly defeated 25-23, while the four other rules will carry into the league campaign - but not the 2019 Championship.

Managers and players alike strongly opposed the hand pass rule, that limited the amount of consecutive hand passes to three, meaning that a player would have to then kick the ball.

A presentation to the central council, by sports performance analyst Rob Carroll, found that there was a significant drop in the amount of hand passes and the ratio between kick and hand passes based on a 10-game sample.

The study showed an average hand pass to kick pass ratio of 3.5/1 last summer - down to just 1.3/1 in recent weeks.

The other rules - a 10 minute sin-bin for a black card, sideline kicks to be forward, the 20-meter kick out and the offensive mark - faced little opposition at the council."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Half empty shite stadiums are doing no favours to the sport either.

If this was improved I bet standards of games would improve big time even in a defensive style match.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Theres one simple rule, you can't recieve a handpass with your hands

Or If you recieve a handpass then you can't handpass

My preference would be for the first.

The crowds are well up for the 2023 League, according to newspaper reports. But in some counties like Limerick, the locals won't support the team in big numbers, even when they are in Division 2.

Relegation-threatened Limerick and promotion hopefuls Meath played out a dramatic draw in Division 2 in front of 1,039 fans at TUS Gaelic Grounds on Sunday afternoon.

I can't see that being acceptable to the players. They never accepted the 3 handpasses limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What makes you think the players dictate the rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

picture the goalkeeper in soccer leaving his goal like the Gaelic goalkeepers do. it looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

My views on how to improve the game:

Mark can only be claimed from placed ball - kickout, sideline - I'd be inclined to exclude frees but I could live with them (they may have corrected that, if not, they should).

Improved support for the officials. Umpires should be able to draw refs attention to off the ball stuff without having to be asked. Ideally a second ref but given the inconsistency of application of rules between one ref and the next, this presents its own challenges.

Abuse of refs should result in a ban. Clubs and County boards need to take a lead on this and demonstrate they are willing to police this themselves too.

I don't think adding rules helps - the refs job is next to impossible - I'll have said before you have a lad usually in his forties chasing 30 lads the majority of whom are under 30 and he's expected to see everything and get every decision right.

Stop Fannying around with the Championship structure. Every few years there's a new format. The super 8's was the biggest load of crap when you review it. You start in a knockout competition, and if you win your games you go into a league format. If you were knocked out of the first knockout competition, you dropped into a secondary knockout competition to get a chance to play in the league format with the winners of the original knockout competition. You play 3 games, some of which are dead rubbers, and if successful, you enter another final knockout competition. Sweet suffering Jesus.

You have a ridiculous scenario where arguably the most evenly contested competition (National League) is reduced to a secondary arrangement and potentially have finalists lining out against each other the following week in the championship. How is anyone expected to take that competition seriously when it's resigned to being a fixture complication for teams in the championship?.

noun: limit; plural noun: limits

1. 1. 
    2. a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass.
    3. "the success of the coup showed the limits of monarchical power"
    • the terminal point or boundary of an area or movement.
    • "the city limits"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Because people suggesting such meaningless rule changes don't want to see the game develop, they want to see it regress. It's hard to think of a more token reactionary suggestion for a rule change in the game.

A simple rule change that I think would be worth trialling: as with penalties in soccer, once a goalkeeper begins his run up he can't stop. I think this would speed up the game, and lead to more contested kick-outs without removing the tactical options of a goalkeeper to play it short.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Picture all 10 outfield players in soccer being allowed use their hands, and there being no offside rule.

They don't, and in the old days, their views might not have even been taken into consideration. But with the GPA now being a force, they have a clear say in what changes can happen. (I think the below is from 2019?). They are in favour of two referees, but getting two high standard referees for games is going to be difficult.

Results of GPA Player survey on Proposed Rule Changes in Gaelic Football 

Players against introduction of handpass restriction, sideline kick and kickout zoning proposals

Players in favour of the mark and sin bin proposed changes

Players believe that consideration should be given to introduction of additional referee to help apply any new rules of play

Following draft proposals recommended by the GAA’s Standing Committee on Playing Rules, the Gaelic Players Association (GPA) have consulted widely with all football squads and former inter county players in recent weeks.

Main findings of GPA Member Survey:

Handpass Restriction: Players strongly against the proposed change

Sideline kick: Players against this proposed change

Kickout zoning: Players strongly against this proposed change

The Mark: Players marginally in favour of this proposed change

Sin Bin: Players marginally in favour of this proposed change

This feedback has been submitted to the Standing Rules Committee on Playing Rules as part of a wider consultation with referees, coaches and officials.

While the GPA supports measures to develop our games it is important that any rule changes are introduced with the aim of enhancing the playing experience for players and to provide a greater spectacle for supporters.

The GPA understands the difficulty of implementing change and acknowledges the significant efforts made by the Standing Rules Committee in this regard. We urge an Coiste Bainistíochta and Central Council to take on board the views of players before deciding on any further course of action at their respective meetings later this month.

Speaking today on the survey findings the CEO of the GPA Paul Flynn said; “The findings of this GPA membership survey are interesting and provide a lot of detailed information for the GAA to examine and to take into account before any decisions are made on the proposed rule changes. Players are of the view that the handpass restriction, sideline kick and kickout zoning proposed changes won’t work. They are, however, in favour of the mark and sin bin rule proposed changes. The GPA has presented the survey findings to the GAA with detailed squad feedback and we have made it clear how important it is that the feedback is taken on board before any decisions are made.

For many squads promotion from the National Football League is their main objective for the season. Implementing all of these significant rule changes at this stage, they fear, would disrupt their detailed game plans which have already been developed over the past couple of seasons and it could cost them a promotion. Players are also of the view that consideration should be given to the introduction of an additional referee to help apply any new rules. The GAA must be fair and reasonable in how it decides to move on the proposed rule changes. Players, fans and officials deserve nothing less.”  

Seems nobody is prepared to admit the handpass situation is affecting Gaelic Football.

Just veering over to other stuff.

60 or so hand passes don’t butter any parsnips.

When will people wise up and get sense.

Explain what limits you want to put on the handpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

At least make a back pass rule to the keeper like in soccer , if you pass it back to the keeper he can’t catch it and has to play it with his feet , very small start but a pass back to keeper is too easy a way out of trouble for defenders being put under pressure

• Advertisement

Less than the unlimited crud which is allowed now.

Its killing the game, it’s not a good aspect of the game, it’s not liked by the spectators, and dumbing it down.

And the you have trundles trying to defend it………!!

Unbelievable Jeff.

Advertisement