Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Sorry if that's confusing - I should have said I had premature ovarian failure and went through menopause in my thirties. We had our babies with fertility help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

It’s good to see the conversation is out there. It must have been very difficult to go through that at a young age ( as well as fertility issues ( have the teeshirt for that as well ) )as I’m still shocked that there are lots of my friends in denial in their mid to late 40s. I have tried to discuss with them and they just aren’t interested in making themselves feel better .

I am on hrt just over a month and feeling the difference . Im back running circa 35-40k a week and enjoy it . I missed that buzz after a tough run !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Very open interview with Rachel Horne, newsreader on Virgin Radio, on this week's Marathon Talk podcast about her pelvic floor and running London Marathon.

https://marathontalk.com/shows/episode-593-rachel-horne/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was in Decathlon the other evening, and wandered through the women's running section naturally enough, and then the men's as I got one of my brothers in the family KK.. when I suddenly realised there was a product in the women's section that wasn't in the men's. (besides sports bras)

A selection of weighing scales.

This really bugged me! Maybe I am overthinking it, but it's like it was suggesting women only run / exercise to lose weight or that only women are mindful of their weight. Just bizarre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

So that's where they are! 😉 I wonder if this is only the case in the running department or is it the case in other gender-separated sections also, as a weighing scales is a fairly useful accessory in several sports, for all genders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

That's a bit mad. I'd more likely go to an homewares or small electrical appliance shop looking for a weighing scales, certainly not the women's running section of Decathlon 🤔 I'm not sure where I sit with this, a little bit insulted for the same reasons as you outline V, also a bit baffled 🤨

But this does make me think about how we relate body weight to running, or do we at all? Is 'racing weight' a thing for us mere mortals?

I keep an eye on weight. I have an acceptable weight for Summer and a slightly different one come January (bring on the mince pies 😉)! I gain about 2-3kg every Winter and invariable I will have lost it again by early Summer 😏 But while i keep an eye on weight I don't really think of it as a factor in my running, or at least not much. Maybe it would be a factor over shorter distanced 800m/1m/5k? Certainly over marathon distance I invariably find I'm at the lower end of my normal weight range with all the long runs and general mileage anyhow so i don't over think it. My worst marathon experience, I was probably at my lightest weight - though as a scientific study of anything that is pretty useless 🤣

I didn't check the other sports, more out of fear of buying unnecessary items than anything, but was also distracted texting a friend about my annoyance - she thought I was referring to the decathlon event at the olympics and couldn't understand why they need to weigh themselves during it 🤣

I've never really kept an eye on it for running, although I need to now after being injured I think, defo heavier and I can feel it a little. I'd like to think it will go again once I actually start putting in more miles but who knows! No idea what would be my ideal racing weight, though I'd probably consider it a feeling rather than a number .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My weight for running was not something I'd really given much thought to. I was heavy (for me) for much of last year and had a good year running wise. But this year I could definitely feel the extra few pounds I was carrying. I've lost about 1.5 stone since August and been doing more resistance/weights training and I'm actually still a bit shocked at how much I've toned up and how quicker I've been running with less perceived effort. It has made me think a bit more about my weight now and that in the past I thought running would manage my weight when it's clear to me now that it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'd have marched right up to the nearest sales person in righteous indignation!!! Or sent a strongly worded email 😊, I love a good strongly worded email Ha! How insulting if it's deliberately placed only in the women's section...

I can confirm that it's harder to run the heavier you are!!!! I definitely used running for weight control which I don't think is the same thing as watching your weight to improve your times although results are the same.

Being a stone plus heavier now than what I would consider my “ normal “ weight hurts a lot - as in it’s very noticeable carrying the extra weight on your effort and speed .

Also guilty of using running for weight control - although it’s made zero difference in lockdown and menopause

I know plenty of guys that run to eat as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Ditto - finding the extra weight ( bones of a stone ) a killer - at one stage pre covid I ran to eat but I really need to get on top of the weight if I want to enjoy running again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I definitely run to eat - it's literally the only reason I run 😄

Anyway, here with a gear recommendation - Ark Yoga leggings. Bought a couple of pairs the other day and I LOVE them. They literally do not budge. They're very thick, so probably getting to the time if year that I'll actually be too warm running in them, but I'd say they'll be great in the winter.

Anyone got any recommendations for runners? Annoyingly, both of my pairs have decided to give up the ghost at more or less the same time. Hole in the toe of one and the soles of the others are on their last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Sorry ladies, butting in here but I have a question on ladies running gear and maybe you can help! My OH is looking for some new running bra's, she has a couple of under armour compression ones which she likes and is looking to replace. Just looking to see if you have any recommendations on brands she could look at to compare to the UA ones she's previously used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I find the Shock Absorber Ultimate Run Bra one of the best out there. I switched to the Sweaty Betty Ultra Run Bra in the last year though and find them great too. Always buy in a sale!

Thanks @Kellygirl I'll get her to check them out, any good sites for a sale?

I always wore the shock absorber ones that @Kellygirl mentions too. But a year and a half ago I developed frozen shoulder and I wasn't able to get the shock absorber ones on over my head or close them at the back so I bought some high impact sports bras front closing from Next and I find I'm still wearing them for running & gym and actually they are comfortable (though maybe not very flattering) all day long too. I got some funky colours in them too if she is into that type of thing - so I can match them to whatever vest top I might be wearing 😂 Actually I see some colours are on sale at the moment, I may have to buy more!

The Sweaty Betty ones would be from their own website and they have fairly regular sales. I never buy anything full price from there. Shock Absorber would be worth a google as it’s ages since I bought them. I know Elverys do them but prob more expensive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I vote for Shock Absorber also. They are in Elverys about €50 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If she’s anything over a C Cup she’s probably better off in an encapsulation bra than a compression one.

Also, @ariana` just be careful about wearing a sports bra for everday/extended periods, they can cause issues with lymphatic drainage.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

The RTE runners podcast have a great episode this week talking about menopause and training - very interesting listening . I can relate to all of it ! What she didn’t mention was HRT which was to me a big gap . I assume if you were on hrt and estrogen you are back on a more level playing field with regard to endurance but not 100% . Have a listen and let me know your thoughts ?

She’s great to follow on Instagram and runs classes for clubs and groups. I’m hoping to attend one soon. I’m not available for her next ones in Dungarvan unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Wow, they look really comfy 😊 Are they reasonably true to size, do you think?

I was always a Shock Absorber fan, but in the past year, thanks to a recommendation from @Bananaleaf, I've been wearing the I-Spy sports bra... an Irish company! Soooo comfortable, I ran DCM wearing one last year. They do need some TLC though in the laundry department.

Thanks - I just did some a google on compression vs encapulation and there is a youtube video by Global triathlon Network on that very topic, I've sent it on to her to look at and it's also below in case it of use to anyone else

Yeah true to size for me, I haven't been professionally measured in a long time, but I measure myself anytime I'm buying a new one. They were a life saver when I had the frozen shoulder which was the best part of a year where I couldn't manage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have been wearing anita extreme control / momentum control ones for about 10 years now. They are a gamechanger for me. Nothing else ever fit well and always chaffed. The cups have no seams, a layer of fleecey material which makes them really comfortable on the actual boobies...I often got actual boobie chaffing in previous bras. They are quite hard to find, easier on the continent...I've gotten them at expos on the continent but can never buy in shops here. Always online. Amazon do sell them and can often pick them up relatively cheap there.

I've a relatively big chest so need the highest support, anita have a good selection of different support types.

Hi All

Anyone any feedback on HRT ? I’m now at the stage where my cycle is 14-18 days ( since Nov) and my sleep has gone awol. Running has come to a halt as I’m in a perpetual state of tiredness / lack of motivation/ crankyness. Dr is happy to prescribe HRT but has left it up to me. I’ve looked at symptoms but the list is sooo long and the only two I have is a whacked out cycle and loss of sleep. I’m a little unsure what to do.I’m dithering between this is affecting your quality of life therefore u need to do something and it’s only 2 symptoms out of a long list so may be you are jumping the gun. Would be interested if others had any feedback on HRT - it’s benefits / drawbacks.

Tks

I’m 18 months on HRT . Before I went on it I could barely run , low energy etc. It took a while to get the dose right but I am now in a great place - and just ran my best half ever -so delighted with life . It’s not a fix all though and in peri there are still ups and downs .

Have you looked at the long list of symptoms - you may have more than two . Irritability , anxiety, weepiness , aches and pains , bloating , dry eyes , pins and needles, memory hazes , loss of confidence . The list is endless really 🤪.

• Advertisement

Tks Bluesquare I hear you re the low energy and tiredness. I suppose I do have more than two - brain fog being one and irritability but I think the long list of symptoms puts me off🙄 Did it take you long to regulate your dose and did you have any side effects ? I think it may be time for another chat with my gp.

Advertisement