Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nope :( Birdy still the favourite with the bookies

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Tickets on sale at 12, best of luck to anyone trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Keeps kicking me out

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Got nothing in the end...Will watch in Manchester or a fanzone in Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How many tickets do you think went on sale ?

The venue only holds 11k for a normal event so with the large stage area and floor area reserved for the contestants the capacity is probably reduced to 7 or 8k.

Take hospitality, Vip and the tickets given to Ukranians out of that and you are probably looking at 4k tickets max.

They would have been gone in seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I tried and failed to get tickets too but no joy. Did actually get the opportunity to get hospitality tickets for an afternoon show but decided it wasn't worth it for 370 pounds. Oh well!

Whilst I can live with not getting tickets, it's a bit disappointing that a better effort wasn't made to stop touting. Loads of tickets went on sale immediately afterwards for up to 11,000 pounds 🙄

Seeing a lot of rumours about Mimi Webb online as possible UK entry seemingly she is on Scott Mills tomorrow as well....

Mae Muller seems to be the big rumour for the UK now. Never heard of her tbh.

• Advertisement

Switzerland

Pleasant enough, but think this will struggle to qualify with the televote only SF's.

Austria

Don't know what to make of this. Will be very interested to see what it sounds like live.

Israel

It's grand on first listen, but I think Noa Kirel is quite a big star in Israel so many were expecting more.

Wild Youth also brought out the video for We Are One today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Was wondering wth happened because UK went out 50 points in betting!

I took a listen to her on youtube....it makes sense now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭LordBasil

Holy Mother of God WTAF is that Wild Youth video? Why are they wearing masks? Is it even them in the video? Make it make sense. Why go through the effort of entering a national final and produce a music video like that?

This year is turning into an Annus Horribilus for Ireland at Eurovision;

Semi Final draw of death

All the early controversy over Public Image Limited

Worst, most embarrassing National Final ever

Peanut Butter!

Awful generic song winning

A winning act that look like they don't want to be there.

The most anaemic revamp in history.

A music video with a budget of 50p

Likely to lose our crown as Queen of Eurovision when Loreen wins Sweden's 7th Victory. Also Johnny Logan losing his status as the only singer to win Eurovision more than once.

Likely to finish last in SF1.

With Eurovision being hosted in Liverpool I hoped RTE would have ensured we had an appealing package.

And you just know that Marty will do his usual *pretends to be shocked* act when we don't get through whilst simultaneously making snide comments about Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,863 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

It ain't great....wrong side of the board I would think... generic

I saw someone wrote online the wild youth revamp isn't even like putting pig on a lipstick...it is more like putting on lipgloss...lol.

Don't blame me I voted for and backed CONNOLLY an actual song with some potential.

That doesn't even pass for a music video imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Underwhelming choice from the UK... I thought with it being in Liverpool they'd have a stronger \ more high profile entry. Maybe they are thinking there's no point competing with Ukraine this year again?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Did the same person write both the Irish and UK song?

The UK song has grown on me after a few listens, obviously not as ‘immediate’ as Sam Ryder.

Also put me mind of ‘Flowers’ by Miley Cyrus.

• Advertisement

Mind blown with Eurovision link!

Mae was the girl in Mika’s ‘Grace Kelly’ video!!

interview with Mae tonight on BBC One at 8.55pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭delboy85

Have listened to the UK song a few times now. I quite like it. It's better than I was expecting after hearing the snippets that were floating around earlier this week. I could see it finishing mid-table on the night (depending on her live vocal). I think that wouldn't be a bad result for the UK.

I'm very disappointed with the Icelandic entry. Have really liked their entries over the past 4/5 years. But this is just piss poor (the live version from the National Final). The studio version is much better though.

It doesn't seem to be getting much love from fans but I really like The Netherlands. It has crazy long odds too.

With just a handful of songs still to be revealed I'm still of the opinion that it's going to be a battle between Sweden (assuming it's Loreen) and Finland.

I'd be happy with either of those winning.

Post edited by delboy85 on

Finally listened to the UK song. Honestly I think it's quite decent? The kind of thing I'd actually listen to outside of the contest, and it wouldn't sound out of place on the charts today. I think if the staging is nailed then top 10 is achievable.

Do you not think it'll be similar to last year with Ukraine dominating the televote again? I don't see how this year will be any different.

Ukraine aside, it's looking like a battle between Sweden, Finland and possibly Norway too. I honestly think Finland have the best song this year and would love it to win, but this will surely be heavily downvoted by the juries.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭delboy85

Yeah, you're most likely right re: Ukraine but I'm just hoping it's not going to happen again. At least last year their song was pretty good but their entry this year is poor.

I also really like the entry from Austria. It's just the right side of wacky. It's a lot of fun (and I love the video). If they can translate it into a good live performance it could do very well.

Sweden

Loreen wins as expected, and is now the favourite to win the whole thing.

I'm just not convinced that this is strong enough to win overall. The initial fan reaction was quite mixed, and I don't think it's immediate enough on a first listen, which is essential for Eurovision where most viewers are seeing the songs for the first time. It'll likely win the jury vote easily, but think the viewers will be slightly more ambivalent.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭fitz

Agree with this. If it wasn't Loreen, I'd question whether the song would have even gotten into the Melfest final. It's all build and no musical payoff.

I love the Austria song ha.

Have to agree on Loreen...if it wasn't Loreen/Sweden it wouldn't be the favourite.

^^^

Agreed - Loreen’s song is very so-so, not even in the same league as ‘Euphoria’.

Still waiting for Meshuggah or Opeth to represent Sweden.

:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hammerfall or Arch Enemy could do a job either

That fairly unremarkable song they sent last year was hyped to bejesus as well, if they sent that Wild Youth song would it be favourite too.

The Loreen song is alright, don't think it's a winner though.

• Advertisement

Portugal

Well this will stand out anyway, but I'm not necessarily sure for the right reasons

Greece

Nondescript is the word I'd use here.

We're almost at a full house now, just the three Caucasus countries left to hear.

Advertisement