Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,243 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Wild Youth chat to a used car salesman on holiday.

Oh wait, it’s Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No mystery to it. They have terrific song writers in Sweden in general who want to be involved same when it comes to the singers/bands involved. They also take their qualification competition extremely seriously, multiple rounds, big budget, I think it gets viewing figures higher than the final sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Irish song has grown on me a bit in fairness.

Belgium’s song has grown on me in the last few weeks - has a strong 90’s ‘handbag house’ vibe - think Nightcrawlers, Alex Party, ‘U Sure Do’ by Strike.

Contemporary pop culture references for the kids, there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They're moving the site on Thursday morning, mightn't have a thread for the competition this year 😢

In fairness 13th about best we can hope for....would be surprised if Norway do so poorly, public vote will definitely be strong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

I will be watching the BBC coverage of the semi final tomorrow. I can't bear to listen to Marty Whelan telling us we are a shoe in to the final/be in with a chance of winning, how ridiculously unfair it is that we didn't qualify and the groaning & moaning he will do!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

And Switzerland so high? That song is disgustingly tone-deaf and opportunistic imo

We have now dropped to last in the odds. Our third last place finish since 2019 perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I was in the arena tonight for the jury dress rehearsal! Finland, Sweden and France got by far the biggest receptions. Israel was also well received, and tbf it's a spectacular performance.

Ireland got a good reception too, but to be brutally honest I think that was much more down to the big numbers of Irish who made the short trip over. Because honestly, I thought our song was a total flop live. I genuinely thought it might come across well in an arena, but no. I'd be shocked at qualification.

The interval act with Rebecca Ferguson and Alyosha was very good. Not just the usual filler fluff we get, so make sure to watch that later tonight.

I thought the three hosts were all great, no complaints from me. Alesha Dixon in the flesh is just 🔥

All in all it was a terrific experience, and so delighted to scratch Eurovision off the bucket list!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

Happy Semi Final day!

Definitely going to put some money on Sweden at some stage but hard to know will the odds go up or down after tonight.

France growing on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not sold on Sweden,fierce shouty.

Definitely heard the intro somewhere before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The UK seem to be really putting on a show for the Eurovision... caught the highlights of the opening concert on BBC1 yesterday, some great staging.

Tonight's semi has a preview on the One Show on BBC1 and the Semi Final is live on BBC1 also.

Although thou shalt not disrupt the Eastenders broadcast!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Expunge

Between the Pound Shop Terry Wogan, Marty, and that Kildare simpleton as well as the poor song, everything about RTE's Eurovision coverage smells like dogsh*t.

Michael Kealy should take command of the Russian offensive on Bakhmut after this, to hasten the end of the war.

A lovely jolly for Ray...all the personality of a barely sentient bowl of porridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I've been pretty out of touch with the entries this year. Normally I'd have half of them nearly off by heart and have a clear winner. I got married in late March so was pretty preoccupied with that though, but even still I just didn't have as much interest in it this year?

All the talk about Loreen being underwhelming/dodgy in the rehearsals. Everyone said the same thing about her in 2012. Although now with the new voting rules you think she'd be more present.

Really liking Norway, Poland sounds like it could be a summer banger (similar to Halo last year but that got shafted).

Our rehearsals don't sound the best, but again let's see what they'll be like tonight. I can't see us getting through though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Ireland song is a total ripoff of the one republic song ‘I lived’, albeit a bad ripoff version of a good song. Case closed ma’lord.

Go_A performing in the Eurovillage last night (wait for it!)…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭jaffa20

So, it's likely we will come last 😂

Surprised to see Netherlands doing so poorly in the odds.

I wasn't sure about Wild Youth qualifying, but dead last would be rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

There are no winners, or last place countries in the semi- finals.

They will just announce the ones who qualify in random order.

It comes out eventually I think, the full results. Not on the night.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This is the track Cruachan submitted, wouldn't say it's one of their best songs but it's comfortably better than every song that made it into the final.

The Cruachan submission would stand out from the crowd... worth a punt... it should have had a chance in the national final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Don’t even know what our song sounds like as I didn’t bother to listen to it, and seems like it’s not been well received from the people there. I know that Fr Ted Eurovision episode was fiction but as the years go on since we last won the thing, I’m more convinced it wasn’t satire. And of course we sent the turkey and that was the end of us in my eyes of us taking this thing seriously.

And I know there’s been a shift in them trying to stop the obvious tactical voting that went on, but we don’t care obviously. And if you watch both semi finals and final you’ll hear Marty Whelan get thick about us not being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Serbia, Malta and Moldova my favorites out of that semi. Like Germany and Belgium's efforts too

The Watchmen deserve to come last because their song is a total rip off of one republic ‘I lived’.

• Advertisement

I would have definitely given that a spot in the national final, why not, something a bit different over most the bland tripe we had.

I saw the video and it is definitely the watchmen performing the cr@ppy song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Too generic doesn't stand out at all.

Bonsoir, my leedle European chooms!

That fanfare!!

AH YEAH!!

Paul O’Grady :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think our song is pretty average unfortunately ,hope we get through but not hearing a lot of optimism from euro watchers .Of course any host on our great national station i s being bigging up our chances hope they are right.

really good open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Why did Marty talk over the whole intro video? Incredibly annoying

• Advertisement

Here we go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Nice guitar playing from Zangief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thought they would have had it in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great into - hello all - we watching on RTE on BBC

• Advertisement

Hannah speaking in French.

Hannah belting out the French there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Hate that pink dress.

This is already far better than Italy's hosting last year. Its going to an amazing Eurovision!

Is it the first time another country has hosted in place of another ? Didn’t the UK host on behalf of Israel ?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement