Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Germany

Without the screaming parts it's actually ok, but Finland will eat up all of the 'wacky' votes that this was probably hoping to get. Can't see this troubling the top 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

Don't like Germany at all.

I really like the entry from The Netherlands.

Cyprus is not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

As soon as I saw the name Blanka, all I could think of was…

Fitting then that Poland’s song sounded very 90’s, very Ace Of Base!

Germany song put me in mind of Ghost/Ghost BC - no bad thing :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The German song is very good, best they've sent in a long time, they won't get anything from the juries though.

Poland have a half naked young one complaining about her ex, reminds me of an entry from last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DirectorKrennic

I think Loreen's song is brilliant and is probably going to be selected and win Eurovision 2023. Finland's song is very catchy and I expect it to come top 10 easily, maybe even top 5. Personally I think Sweden will win it this year (with Loreen).

Haven't actually listened to these yet, but three more entries chosen tonight:

Moldova

Iceland

Serbia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Moldova getting a bit twin peaks trippy... a dwarf?

Iceland... strong ballad.

Serbia... that overwrought stuff does nothing for me

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Might as well post this now…

• Advertisement

Any news on who is representing the UK?

#nopressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,313 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nope :( Birdy still the favourite with the bookies

Tickets on sale at 12, best of luck to anyone trying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Keeps kicking me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Got nothing in the end...Will watch in Manchester or a fanzone in Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How many tickets do you think went on sale ?

The venue only holds 11k for a normal event so with the large stage area and floor area reserved for the contestants the capacity is probably reduced to 7 or 8k.

Take hospitality, Vip and the tickets given to Ukranians out of that and you are probably looking at 4k tickets max.

They would have been gone in seconds.

• Advertisement

I tried and failed to get tickets too but no joy. Did actually get the opportunity to get hospitality tickets for an afternoon show but decided it wasn't worth it for 370 pounds. Oh well!

Whilst I can live with not getting tickets, it's a bit disappointing that a better effort wasn't made to stop touting. Loads of tickets went on sale immediately afterwards for up to 11,000 pounds 🙄

Seeing a lot of rumours about Mimi Webb online as possible UK entry seemingly she is on Scott Mills tomorrow as well....

Mae Muller seems to be the big rumour for the UK now. Never heard of her tbh.

• Advertisement

Switzerland

Pleasant enough, but think this will struggle to qualify with the televote only SF's.

Austria

Don't know what to make of this. Will be very interested to see what it sounds like live.

Israel

It's grand on first listen, but I think Noa Kirel is quite a big star in Israel so many were expecting more.

Wild Youth also brought out the video for We Are One today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Was wondering wth happened because UK went out 50 points in betting!

I took a listen to her on youtube....it makes sense now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Holy Mother of God WTAF is that Wild Youth video? Why are they wearing masks? Is it even them in the video? Make it make sense. Why go through the effort of entering a national final and produce a music video like that?

This year is turning into an Annus Horribilus for Ireland at Eurovision;

Semi Final draw of death

All the early controversy over Public Image Limited

Worst, most embarrassing National Final ever

Peanut Butter!

Awful generic song winning

A winning act that look like they don't want to be there.

The most anaemic revamp in history.

A music video with a budget of 50p

Likely to lose our crown as Queen of Eurovision when Loreen wins Sweden's 7th Victory. Also Johnny Logan losing his status as the only singer to win Eurovision more than once.

Likely to finish last in SF1.

With Eurovision being hosted in Liverpool I hoped RTE would have ensured we had an appealing package.

And you just know that Marty will do his usual *pretends to be shocked* act when we don't get through whilst simultaneously making snide comments about Finland.

It ain't great....wrong side of the board I would think... generic

I saw someone wrote online the wild youth revamp isn't even like putting pig on a lipstick...it is more like putting on lipgloss...lol.

Don't blame me I voted for and backed CONNOLLY an actual song with some potential.

That doesn't even pass for a music video imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Underwhelming choice from the UK... I thought with it being in Liverpool they'd have a stronger \ more high profile entry. Maybe they are thinking there's no point competing with Ukraine this year again?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Did the same person write both the Irish and UK song?

The UK song has grown on me after a few listens, obviously not as ‘immediate’ as Sam Ryder.

Also put me mind of ‘Flowers’ by Miley Cyrus.

• Advertisement

Mind blown with Eurovision link!

Mae was the girl in Mika’s ‘Grace Kelly’ video!!

interview with Mae tonight on BBC One at 8.55pm.

Have listened to the UK song a few times now. I quite like it. It's better than I was expecting after hearing the snippets that were floating around earlier this week. I could see it finishing mid-table on the night (depending on her live vocal). I think that wouldn't be a bad result for the UK.

I'm very disappointed with the Icelandic entry. Have really liked their entries over the past 4/5 years. But this is just piss poor (the live version from the National Final). The studio version is much better though.

It doesn't seem to be getting much love from fans but I really like The Netherlands. It has crazy long odds too.

With just a handful of songs still to be revealed I'm still of the opinion that it's going to be a battle between Sweden (assuming it's Loreen) and Finland.

I'd be happy with either of those winning.

Post edited by delboy85 on

Finally listened to the UK song. Honestly I think it's quite decent? The kind of thing I'd actually listen to outside of the contest, and it wouldn't sound out of place on the charts today. I think if the staging is nailed then top 10 is achievable.

Do you not think it'll be similar to last year with Ukraine dominating the televote again? I don't see how this year will be any different.

Ukraine aside, it's looking like a battle between Sweden, Finland and possibly Norway too. I honestly think Finland have the best song this year and would love it to win, but this will surely be heavily downvoted by the juries.

Yeah, you're most likely right re: Ukraine but I'm just hoping it's not going to happen again. At least last year their song was pretty good but their entry this year is poor.

I also really like the entry from Austria. It's just the right side of wacky. It's a lot of fun (and I love the video). If they can translate it into a good live performance it could do very well.

Sweden

Loreen wins as expected, and is now the favourite to win the whole thing.

I'm just not convinced that this is strong enough to win overall. The initial fan reaction was quite mixed, and I don't think it's immediate enough on a first listen, which is essential for Eurovision where most viewers are seeing the songs for the first time. It'll likely win the jury vote easily, but think the viewers will be slightly more ambivalent.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Agree with this. If it wasn't Loreen, I'd question whether the song would have even gotten into the Melfest final. It's all build and no musical payoff.

I love the Austria song ha.

Have to agree on Loreen...if it wasn't Loreen/Sweden it wouldn't be the favourite.

^^^

Agreed - Loreen’s song is very so-so, not even in the same league as ‘Euphoria’.

Still waiting for Meshuggah or Opeth to represent Sweden.

:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hammerfall or Arch Enemy could do a job either

That fairly unremarkable song they sent last year was hyped to bejesus as well, if they sent that Wild Youth song would it be favourite too.

The Loreen song is alright, don't think it's a winner though.

• Advertisement

Portugal

Well this will stand out anyway, but I'm not necessarily sure for the right reasons

Greece

Nondescript is the word I'd use here.

We're almost at a full house now, just the three Caucasus countries left to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

I don't believe it but there's some chatter that Loreen's staging isn't do-able in Liverpool. They overdid it with the smoke in that final performance. :P

This is the first Eurovision year ever where I don't have a song stuck in my head already. Nothing stands out to me!

France is growing on me. La Zarra is captivating and charismatic with a powerful voice. I expect some excellent staging for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You'd wonder about the Irish Video and what they were thinking? So I have take a look at the youtube "my top eurovision songs" and most years when I take a look Ireland is around mid-way and I almost always disagree and think they should be further down the list and over the last few years Ireland has indeed ended up at the bottom. But this year they are putting us straight to the bottom of their lists, if this is correct this could be the worst year for Ireland, but then I don't think it is as bad as other Irish Entries and having not heard the rest of the Eurovision songs is this just a very good year for songs at the eurovision causing Ireland to be push so far down. Or is it just a really bad generic song. (I do think it is generic).

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Azerbaijan

Nothing to get too excited about here I think. Just two songs to go, Armenia will reveal their song on Wednesday followed by Georgia on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Ukraine have drawn 19th in the final whilst the UK will close the show in 26th. Good draws for both, but even better for Ukraine.

It's just a really bad, generic song. Also, it's so disappointingly transparent in what it's trying to so. Wild Youth have been around for years and have a pretty clearly defined sound at this stage, yet they entered Eurovision with a song that they deliberately sought out a Swedish songwriter for. It's as bland, mundane and 'written for Eurovision' a song as they could've come up with.

Why didn't they enter one of their own songs? Modern Colleseum came out only last October, imagine how great that would've sounded in Liverpool?! Would've been right up there near the top of my ranking of this years songs.

• Advertisement

Didn’t know Sam Fender was representing Greece.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Apparently he's changing his name to Sam Ibanez 😉

Armenia

Bit of an usual song structure I think. Either way it's not really doing much for me on a first listen.

Just Georgia to go, and we'll finally have the complete class of 2023.

And here's Georgia!

Nothing to get too excited about here I think. Have listened twice and can't remember how it goes. Will try and make a stab at predicting the qualifiers later.

So who's winning? I think the four contenders right now are Sweden, Finland, Norway and (unfairly) Ukraine, although all things considered I reckon Sweden are probably the likeliest winners. Norway will do well but probably not quite well enough on both sides of the vote to challenge. I think Finland could possibly win the televote but the jury vote is a big question mark. The Ukrainian song is obviously very weak but as we saw last year outside factors can decide the winner.

So that leaves Sweden as the likeliest winner almost by default. I don't think the song is great but the juries will lap it up, can easily see it scoring 350+ there. I don't think it's a televote winner at all, Cornelia only managed 180 points with a superior song, so I think Loreen will likely score somewhere in a similar range. So 350 + 180 = 530, which is usually enough to win. Wouldn't be happy with a Swedish win, but better than a potential Ukraine one.

Have been looking at the bookies odds. Re: Sweden, has there ever been an entry with such short odds this far out from the competition (apart from Ukraine last year)? It's 4/5 or 5/6 on most sites I've checked. I think it's a likely winner but those odds are crazy.

I don't see Norway as a contender. I think they'll finish in the top 10 but I'd be shocked if they were top 5.

I think the top 3 will be Sweden/Finland/Ukraine but not sure in what order. Hoping for Finland for the win but I'd be happy with Sweden too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement