Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, but there was a theme emerging of him having an issue with 'trans' people. These tweets were coming in quick succession over a number of days or weeks and he referred to the whole trans debate thing as a 'cult'. If he had simply posted one tweet about trans issues (the 'rapist' one for example), I very much doubt anything would have happened or that he would have been sacked by the group.

There's also an element of damned if they did and damned if they didn't. One can imagine a lot of Eurovision fan sites would have begun to run with the Banford tweets story and the group would have taken a serious of flak if they had simply ignored it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Our entry stands for 'unity & kindness' apparently. Could we send them over to the Kremlin to plead their case and we'd be none the poorer? Maybe Tubridy can be their new director and accompany them. Win, win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

True, but we wouldn't be bothered with them anymore, would we? They'd be chirping away in a gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Putin would force them at gunpoint to perform in some fake Russo-vision horrorshow that would go viral.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭archfi

Let me clarify - in no way is everyone - never mind anywhere a majority - of homosexual/bisexual people in lockstep with this ideology, the govt funded organisations with the various acronyms may be though.

Also, the audience for Eurovision is also not that majority despite the people we see on telly that get tickets to it.

And that includes the sacked guy.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The cult comment was a direct reference to identifying as a hawk. There are grown men out there identifying as babies. Its a cult. I looked through more of his tweets and saw he mainly passed comment on the most extreme side of gender ideology . Most people agree with him. He's a gay man himself.

The problem here is that a man who isn't really a high profile figure got cancelled because of a twitter mob in the name of 'kindness' and 'fairness'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why does he care? Doesn't bother, interfere,or affect me in any way apart from the loons giving out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But as I said, there was a touch of 'damned if they did and damned if they didn't' for the group. Once the fan site had posted his tweets and made the connection to the group, they had a big problem on their hands, as the story would surely have quickly gathered steam. Personally, I think they sacked him because they genuinely no longer wanted to work with him and didn't want a 'controversial' character as part of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,876 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Brooke performing in Liverpool on the Friday night…I’m there!

#shewasrobbed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'll be in Liverpool for the jury show on Monday the 8th. My first ever Eurovision, can't wait 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭LordBasil

I don't know about anyone else but I am feeling very 'meh' about this year's contest. A combination mostly terrible songs, an Irish entry I despise and the incoming Loreen coronation has left me not looking forward to Eurovision as much as I normally do. I feel if Loreen was not there it would be a much more open, exciting and unpredictable contest. Hopefully at least one of my favourites (Finland, Austria or France) can deliver a strong performance and challenge her for the prize.

Connolly was the quintessential safe indie-pop entry.

Not even in the same dimension as Eimear Quinn.

Compared to the muck we have sent for donkeys years, Chris Doran was banger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So with press not allowed into the arena until Monday, there's been little to none of the usual rehearsal coverage/commentary. Aside from a few scraps on tiktok, eurovision did release some 2nd rehearsal clips last night

The Irish delegation have thrown everything they can at a very poor song, but qualification will still be a very tall order.

Sweden sounded ropey as hell, Loreen will need to improve a lot if she wants to get her second win.

Israel looks pretty fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭archfi

Feck me, all of those were terrible!!🤣

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

^^^ yerwanthere123

Search for #Eurovision on twitter, the artists have uploaded loads of their own rehearsal footage.

Going to Liverpool on Saturday to check out the general Eurovison-ness of it all, I’ll try and post some pics. :)

Maybe I'm wrong but our entry is very US 90's pop (Foo Fighters?) and won't stand out much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

Remind me again where she finished in the leader board?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Have the odds shortened for Ireland? It looks like it to me. We have no chance of winning, but it would be nice to see us in the final at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very slightly, its not that unusual.

Semi final 1 we have pretty much zero chance of qualifying imo (even on paddy power we are second last for semi), shame we aren't in semi final 2 (much weaker) but hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The clips I saw of Loreen yikes....very poor vocal and staging is nowhere near as good as melfest. Maybe she isn't quite nailed on winner just yet, despite the usual sources hyping her up (wiwibloggs embarassingly ott) I would personally love to see Finland win.

Top 5 for Austria is my only bet currently. Always like a few little bets on Eurovision.

Would love Finland to win too, have had it on repeat since January, but I think the juries will bury it unfortunately. It's a shame the staging is so wacky because it takes away from the fact that Cha Cha Cha is a brilliant song.

Bit of momentum leaning France's way at the moment but can't see that happening either.

The odds for semi-final 1 as it stands, according to Eurovisionworld.com (usually pretty accurate)…

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭delboy85

The clip of Loreen seemed a bit underwhelming to me. The smaller screen really reduces the impact of the staging (compared to Melodifestivalen). It just doesn't have that wow factor anymore. Maybe that will change when we see the final product.

Am increasingly convinced that it's not a sure fire winner.

I'm still backing Finland for the win. I think the juries will like it to a sufficient degree.

I hope (and think) France may be in the running too.

I really hope Portugal qualify. I like it more and more every time I listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

I hadn't seen Loreen's melodifestivalen performance but I watched the little bit of the rehearsal and its so underwhelming compared with the notion that it all done and dusted and she is a dead cert to win. Maybe because it is just the first rehearsal and she needs time to adjust to the arena and adjust her voice but I am not seeing winner here. Then again I remember the same thing was said in 2012 because she was a little bit unwell at the time and her voice was not as good as it was in the melodifestivalen that year either and her rehearsals were just as underwhelming then too. I hope its a really close result to make it more interesting.

Serbia, Latvia and Finland for me from that lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

I feel the same way @LordBasil. I've been watching so many years and this is the first I've ever felt 'meh'.

Agree with Austria, Finland, and France. Only other songs I've had in my head are Netherlands and Portugal.

Advertisement