Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Democrats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

In what way would the Soc Dems, Labour or Greens offer an attractive alternative to the electorate?

What would their core policies be that will strike a different chord that FFG or SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

“ conservative parties “

that’s funny 😄

i think the Soc Dems would form a coalition with FFG , in reality they would probably find both as compatible as SF

Exactly. There is no dfference between FF and FG nowadays and neither are conservative.

Centre left all the way with SF, FF and FG.

Soc dems even further left?

If so, they aeent representing change. Just amplifying whats already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But do the SDs want to be in a position where they can be accused of colluding with the 'Civil War' parties to keep SF out? Would that not fatally tarnish their 'new broom' appeal? Greens wouldn't care, they would go in with FF & FG again if they could plausibly claim those parties were making a better pitch on green issues than SF. Probably being unduly Machiavellian here, but could Holly be preparing the ground to pull the same move?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I reckon SF are more likely to ease off on climate change goals than either FG and FF , they are inherently populist, know climate change policies effect the less well off more and are also looking to grow their farmer vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

FG and FF have a considerable conservative element that has been overlooked by Varadkar and Martin. Both these "leaders" decided to chace the socially liberal vote at the expense of that conservative element in both parties. FF is now a centre Right party as is FG. The SocDems are more centrre Left. If the SocDem surge is maintained then this may represent the Big Three model of Irish politics (where no two of the Big Three parties had enough seats to form a government on their own) changing to a more traditional Left/Right axis with SF and the SocDems being on the Left and FFG being on the Right. Labour is also a Right of centre party now and abandoned any Working Class voters and supporters long ago. It has no unique selling point and as a result it is getting squeezed by the emergence of the SocDems.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Good to see someone going after SF on them having easy answers for everything as opposed to the idiotic FF/FG tactic of mentioning the 'RA every 5 minutes.

I dont see FFG as centre right.

All of their social policies on welfare, crime, immigration etc are very much centre left.

Do you see the Soc Dems becoming a major party though?

I am not seeing that happening any time soon, realistically.

SF FF FG are the only 3 majors.

All the rest are unlikley to pick up mlre than low single digit seats.

It is going to be difficult for the SocDems but they have already overtaken Labour in the opinion polls. If they can take some of that younger "socially liberal" vote from FG and FF then they have a good chance of getting about ten seats. The problem will be getting good candidates. The current Big Three model is based on three large parties with no two of them having enough seats to form a government. The SocDems would need to have over 15 seats to be considered a major party. FF and FG are still below their 2020 GE %s. They may lose more seats at the next GE. At the moment and if that SocDem boost is sustained, then the Big Three model could form into a more traditional Left/Right axis.The danger for FF and FG is that without an electoral pact and joint candidate strategy, their candidates will fratricide each other leading to worse results for each party than they expect. They may have around 20% each in terms of support but the number of seats that they will win may be lower because of them knocking each other's candidates out in later counts. That could result in some very unexpected seat gains.

Labour had also been hoping to get its claws into SocDem votes but the smack down put an end to that. Labour has always been dependent on transfers from bigger parties but when they started staying within the bigger party candidates from 2016 onward, Labour collapsed. The SocDems might be able to take some Labour seats. A real problem for Labour would be if some of the current Labour TDs decide to defect to the SocDems in order to save their seats. Initially, the SocDems may become a kind of baggage-free Labour for younger demographics but it could take another few GEs before it becomes a major party.

Regards...jmcc

Addressing the housing issue is likley to be the only way forward for any minor party.

But what is SocDem policy on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Kinda :D

I'd love not to have to put effort into who I vote for. But FF/FG/SF are out of the picture. Greens tend to have goof environmental policies but their voter base is more of a upper middle class segment. If I was to pigeon hole them I'd say D4. So their economic policies are more aligned with FG. They're essentially FG with a focus on the environment.

As someone else mentioned SF are shockingly bad on environmental policies. I think this shows their populism. They're willing to hammer the gov on anything that's embarrassing, even if it's a good policy. So I honestly couldn't tell if they're pro environmentalism or against it. They seem to just be anti government when it comes to this. When a report says that the gov are doing too little, SF hammer them. When the gov do something that pisses off people, then they're over stepping. Or SF just remain silent. About the only thing that they seem to be against is data centres. Which is silly because if we massively increased green power production we could literally make money selling the wind.

And labour, well they really fecked it up. They've thrown away every bit of good will that they had post 2008. And they've shrunk into obscurity. I honestly couldn't tell you what they stand for at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd be interested to hear what she has to say about the dairy industry, unlike her colleagues in Dublin and Kildare Holly is living in an area where there are a lot of dairy farmers and in turn companies who rely on dairy farming for their own businesses.

Chances are she will steer away from that one and start putting the boot into beef production with is what farmers on the west coast concentrate on because the land quality isn't as good and she probaly knows the SDs have little or no chance of success in rural areas.

You'd have to as the SocDems that question. From Holly Cairns' statement in the Dail, it seems that Housing will be a major issue for them and they will use it against FFG.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Holly's mother raises a few beef cattle, so Galwayguy your looking for a wedge that isn't there. West Cork traditionally always had a Labour seat. HC will increase her vote next time with her much higher profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm not looking for anything.

Just wondering will she have an opinion on dairy which is a big thing down in Cork and reducing the herd seeing as she is commenting on climate change.

I see nothing about her mother being involved in beef production so when you say "raises a few beef cattle" I'd imagine we are talking single digits are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...ah shur everyone is gonna use it against ffg, but the only problem is, nobody actually knows what to do about it, it has been allowed to fester for so long now, we dont know how to resolve this one, im expecting it to continue indefinitely, probably into the next decade unfortunately....

Yep but the difference is that the former Labour supporters in the media like Holly Cairns so the SocDems may get an easier time that if SF mentioned the issue. It will continue and a major problem was when FFG allowed parasites like the vulture funds to buy up housing stock.The real problem with Housing is that FF/FG made a set of decisions in the 1990s and before to stop building social housing at the necessary rate and let their developer friends supply housing. It didn't work.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...yup, a catastrophic failure, and theyre still unwilling to accept it as well, theyre gonna fall hard....

ireland badly needs new parties, im really glad to see the slow growth of the sd's, the left globally really needs a major reboot, and i suspect its starting to happen, but this wont come easy, the issues that have been created from the ideological beliefs of the last few decades are serious and complex, its gonna take time to resolve them, but citizens patience is quickly running out, and understandable so, lets hope we dont go to the extremes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There are a couple of golden rules in Irish politics:

1. Nobody ever says the price of houses needs to fall
    2. Nobody ever says we need to shrink the national herd

I don't expect Holly Cairns to buck either of those trends

Its easy to use it against the govt, but what we need is solutions?

Moaning at the "govt without a plan" does not a plan make.

There is a lot of criticism of vulture funds, but we have to remember that those funds are enabling home building.

The costs are so high to deliver property that it can be unviable for a developer to go ahead with a housing scheme unless they have a contract with an investment fund.

Those apartments, once built, may well end up as rental only, but they still house people and are part of the broader solution.

If we banned investment funds tomorrow, we would see a reduction in new home building, not an increase!

The govt does need to build social and affordable homes. True. But they need to do that in partnership with private investment to deliver the desired number of homes annually.

Two output streams will deliver more than one output stream, so long as the two are not competing.

I think the broader question is where would a govt get additional funding to build more social housing? over 6% of expenditure already goes on housing. So where would the SocDems, for example, get the extra money and who would lose out?

Or, what policies would they change to reduce the cost and red tape linked to provision of new homes?

If they cant answer those questions then they arent capable of changing a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

If SF and MLMD wants to be Taoiseach she is going to have to

a) make a deal with FF or FG (FF more likely) but that means she is giving the old 'right-wingers and parasites' of FF a path to power. Not very palatable for their more vocal supporters online.

or

b) Make a deal with all the left-wing parties and loads of Indo's. Can you imagine trying to make a deal with the likes of Solidarity or Riche Boyd Barrett? These guys have no interest in actual power and making hard choices. Even here the numbers wont likely stack up.

MLMD is screwed no matter what she does

Holly Cairns meanwhile has no expectations. She is not expected to swan into office or power and can deal with whatever happens in GE. She is going to get very good PR and will be VERY transfer-friendly. Expect the SD to double their seats or thereabouts, with the Greens and Labour being the victims. She needs to play a longer game politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

I am surprised that more unhappy Green Party Councillors and TDs haven't defected to the Soc Dems. I think there's some unhappy people in both the Greens and Labour that the Soc Dems could really do with adding to their ranks.

I also think the SDs should to be more proactive in approaching them, and I mean really going after them to join them. Its easier to get an established councillor to become a TD than trying to run a TD with no councillor experience first. It does happen, but its very difficult.

Realistically the SDs only have 6 TDs because of bad GE campaign management by SF and they wont make that mistake again, even if they have to stick paper candidates in everywhere, they will. If SF run multiple candidates in constituencies I think the SDs will lose seats not gain them.

The other issue is money. The SDs as a young party don't have a war chest of any description, they don't appear to have wealthy donors or supporters with deep pockets. The sad truth is it costs money to run candidates. You either need wealthy candidates who can afford to take on this tremendous financial burden, or the party pays. The SDs cant pay.

What are the SDs offering in terms of policy that isnt already being delivered?

What is their "selling point" to pull the votes away from other parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Well not much tbqh as there's a lot of overlap but if they're unhappy then there's a good viable alternative to jump to if you really want to stick two fingers up to your party that aren't doing it for you!

So vote for change by voting for a party that offers no change?

Interesting concept :)

Stick 2 fingers up at FFG by voting for a party that agrees with them. Hmmm

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,241 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That 9% opinion poll rating was a massive leap forward for them. Most of the time they're chugging along at 3-4% along with the other smaller left parties. They even hit zero in one over the summer.

So I'd say any rep for any other party thinking of jumping ship to the SDs will wait and see if the Holly bounce is more than a 7-day wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The SD's wont targetting older voters per say, but one of the reasons Holly Cairns has done well and now has a national profile is her Social Media and Digital Media. They don't need all that much money tbh if that is their angle. They don't need to run a candidate in every constituency but will be able to run one in urban areas like Dublin. It could be the end of Labour as a force tbh.

Dont underestimate a young pretty media-friendly face on the TV when being interviewed now and before a GE. She will hover up transfers from all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There were a lot of rumours a year or two ago that Hazel Chu was considering jumping to them.

I'd expect that a poor showing for the Greens in the 2024 Locals & European elections (provided the current Government lasts until then) could result in a number of defections from Greens to SDs

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

The opinion poll result still makes no sense to me.

It's not like a football transfer where a team can become great because of one player and they go favourite for the title...Holly was a major part of the SDs before she became leader, so what actually gave them a 5% increase?

Dislike for Murphy/Shorthall? Well they're still 33% of their TDs and will still have major influence.

Increased profile in last few weeks due to late late appearance and new leader?

If 5% have just switched their preference based on what Holly said about housing (nothing new) then that 5% will probably switch to other parties before long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Fg are still pretty right wing economically. I'd say FF are similar. There's one difference. I've heard about how Micheal Martin is trying to get FF to move to the left and adopt new principles which would make it a proper centre left party but the TD's are resisting it.

All three would be left wing socially but with FF being the one most on the right, SF on the left and FG trying to play the middle ground and appeal to everyone.

Advertisement