Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Montys disco

How long does it take for cie medical department get back to Dublin Bus ? I had to send some stuff from my doctor for clarification. That was 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭rx8

There could be a delay as they have just relocated from Marlborough Street to the Vaults in Connolly Station. Hopefully not too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Montys disco

Hi thanks got a email from them saying the same fingers crossed 🤞🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stevvieo

Applied again with the online application form, got an email the 16th of Feb saying "we received your application and will be in touch in due course". Still nothing so far, and they are closing applications on the 31st of March. Does it usually take this long for them to say yes or no? I made it to the interview last time and was turned down but that was nearly 2 years ago

I wouldn't pay any heed to the March 31st deadline. They're crying out for drivers, just like everyone else. They are not going to stop recruiting any time soon.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've seen it extended a few times but a bus driver recently told me it could be stopping soon. Any advice for the interview? Most people just say "safety, safety, safety" and I learned the driver role but the competency based questions messed me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Is it still possible to get a job in Bus Eireann and after a period of time put in for a transfer to DB?

The reason I ask is I'm gonna apply for a job with DB soon and if I don't get it I might apply to Bus Eireann in either Cork, Galway or Limerick. I considered Broadstone but that seems to be mostly long distance runs which I don't like. I prefer the more local shorter distance stuff that DB do and BE do in Cork, Limerick and Galway.

Applied on the 16th of Feb with the online application, got an email for the online assessment the 16th of March to be completed on the 18th of March. Then a follow up email the next day to say I passed the assessment and that there is a delay for driving tests and interviews. Then the next day (20th of March) got another email to say my interview and driving test will be the 28th of March. Next day (29th) HR rang me and asked if I could go to the medical today (cancellation) the 30th. Doctor gave me a clean bill of health, said everything is 100%. Feels very fast now 😁

How long until you think they will ring references or get onto me? Might be after the weekend at this stage but they said they want to speed things up because my CPC case study is expired in July.

This thread has been a gem of knowledge and information, thank you to everyone who has added their input.

Fingers crossed 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You'll be called within 2 weeks, in the school in a month and depending on which depot you get you'll hand in your notice within 2 months 😂

Thanks, sounds great 🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Got the call today to start the 17th of April, happy days 😁 that was super quick

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

Just wondering has anyone on here actually done the job ?

What is it like, is it a good job, is it easy do you think the pay is good ?

What is it like day to day ,

Do you get paid during training ,

Just wondering what sort of job are you leaving to do bus driving ,I'm weighing up weather to give it a go or not

Car Detailing, been doing it over 20 years now and I think it's just time to hang up the overalls 😁 very eager to manoeuvre a bus around Dublin aswel as I drove everything else other than a bus

Anybody any advice on the depots? As far as I'm aware you don't get a choice for a depot and are given one based on where they need you. Is your address taken into account or will they literally throw you anywhere?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Best of luck. If you've driven trucks/other large vehicles the bus should be a piece of piss only thing you need to remember is the wheels are behind you so you put the front over the pavement and take that extra bit of space provided there's no pedestrians obviously. I'm sure you'll do well with DB.

Just wondering at what stage of the application do they ring your references,

Just could be arkward with the current job if they give them a call before i look like getting the drivers job

When do you actually first get to drive a bus,

I guess the worry is you leave your current job then your pants at driving a bus & are left high and dry

Phoning references is the last stage.

You will drive a bus on the first day... as I've mentioned before on this thread, the training is top class and normally done now with just 2 trainees per instructor. You will be perfectly fine driving a bus, you'll be mentored and supported all the way through. And yes, training is paid with a dinner voucher each day too.

Regarding which depot you are sent to, it depends on the requirements at the time. If you live in Bray, you won't want Harristown,but you can ask for your preferred one. They are all pretty much the same, a place to park your car and sometimes have your break in.

Just wondering what is the average age of new bus drivers ? or is there all ages getting into it

All ages coming in at the moment.

One chap was interviewed recently was 64. He told the interviewer that he would be staying for 3 good years. I'll be seeing the guy who interviewed him tomorrow and I'll ask if he got the job. Probably did if I was to guess.

• Advertisement

Thanks 👍 just have a million questions since I got the offer 🤣

Didn't know you get to drive a bus on the first day, that sounds great. Had a driver tell me he was only out twice driving in the 6 weeks of training and that it was all classroom tests.

Just very excited now 🤣👍

I was told in my interview that they would inform me before references were rang just because in the past alot of current employers were called and it was a shock they were put down as references 🤣

I think I'm going to go ahead an apply ,

I'm in a stable job on 40 g a year but im just getting bored of office work , i need to change something,

I wonder is there anywhere you can go after Dublin bus that would make you more money ?

What are the normal hours & days of the week, i know its 5 days but what are shifts like,

You will work a block of duties over 5 weeks. 2 Sundays in 5, 3 Saturdays in 5. There's a short weekend off (Sat/Sun), and a long weekend (Sat/Sun/Mon) during that too. 2 weeks will be early, 2 late,and 1 mixed week. You get used to the shift work, but it can be stressful sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarahcakes

Hi, just wanted to ask at what stage do people do the theory test for the d license, do people do it beforehand or wait until they are further into the recruitment process? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So you never get a full weekend off unless its a booked holiday .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

A full weekend is Sat/Sun which there is 2 of in each 5 week cycle. Here it is done easier

Yes, there is 2 weekends off, in the 5 week block. The second one also has the Monday off.

I was in the training school today doing the latest cpc module, and the place was jammers with people being interviewed. There was 20 - 30 in total all day and with 12 drivers doing the cpc course, and all the new intake of drivers being trained, there must have been about 50 people in the place at one time.

I also spoke with one of the managers who interviewed a guy who was 64 a few weeks ago, and he told me that he has done so many interviews lately, he couldn't say if he got the job or not, but he said that he probably did, as he had a good interview. I don't think I've ever seen the place so busy.

What's it like first week of training?

• Advertisement

Driving, Driving, more driving and lots of encouragement. Uniforms, bank accounts for wages, all necessary stuff to get you on your way.

Had a conversation with a union rep this morning and he was told from HR, that they have turned out 64 drivers in the last 6 months and through retirements and resignations, we have lost 62. Hard to keep the service going like this.

Advertisement