Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

One death should be avoided, but we have to again look at use of resources, priority's and risks.

If you have say a 2% chance of death if being hit by a cyclist but a 70% chance of death if hit by a car which should you focus on more? Additionally, if you are say 24 times more likely to be hit by a car breaking a red light when compared to a bike.

Don't you think it makes sense to use the limited resources on traffic enforcement for cars or would you much rather waste valuable resources on something that is so low risk just because you appear to dislike cyclists so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Again, you're looking for an argument. I never said or made any assertions about disliking cyclists. I am a cyclist.

My original point which you digressed from is that he could give the cyclists who break the rules at gandalf corner the same grief he gives motorised vehicles with the spiel about "you're getting reported to the police/watch yourself on YouTube later"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you’d be in favour of serious speed limit reductions, because the multiple deaths arising from speeding drivers would be avoided, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭KaneToad

He does give out to them. But he says he won't stand in front of them in case they come off their bike and injure themselves - which I think is reasonable enough.

Also there is no point in reporting them to the police as there is no way to identify them. The drivers are all identified through their car reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Again, your logic is completely skewed.

Much as I dislike his modus operandi, what you are arguing (that he should give the same treatment to cyclists) is akin to asking why are Greenpeace protesting the killing of whales off Japan when they could be in Ukraine protesting the murder of civilians? Or at least, that those people should divide their time equally.

It's simple - he's someone who cycles, sees a massive, inherent danger in what he does, caused by illegal behaviour of a specific set of people, and takes a course of action to combat that danger. It in no way follows that he should also be chasing after cyclists.

If the risk of injury from cyclists was so real, you'd have concerned motorists and pedestrians doing the same sort of thing as CM. But it's not, and they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i think you must be one of those avid cyclists

😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

accidental partridge, with near accident.

Ah ha!!!!!! That was gas 🤣

Interesting the follow he got from the police in he email.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it Jim Carrey impersonating Alan Partridge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dunno, that's provoking a situation if you ask me.

• Advertisement

I agree, the driver definitely provoked the situation by using his phone while driving, and then by driving like a twat.

He got caught. You can either be a grown up, own it and say fair enough. Whether you learn from it or not is a different kettle of fish. Instead this guy acted like one of my kids friends who can't help but lie and exaggerate to the extreme (which is fine as a small child). I'm over the moon he was caught, not because he was on his phone (which was wrong) but because his attitude was akin to someone under the age of 8 in terms of his response. Guy isn't mature enough or of a mental capacity to be behind the wheel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the misfortune to have come across someone like that, ex military and very unused to people disagreeing with them; they're not able to tell you to stop disagreeing with them if you're not their subordinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

and yet he was mature enough to give a gun to and send to the front line. Some people should never have that kind of responsibility and he sure as **** was one of them

i forgot to mention when posting it that it's much better if you click through to the youtube link; the video is longer and clearer, and the audio a bit clearer. and he comes across as an ever bigger lunatic in the longer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Even if he was confrontational, he was dead right to be confrontational over it.

If your man’s that dense to be driving over paths while trying to argue with someone, he definitely shouldn’t be on his phone in his car, seeing as he has the attention deficit of a goldfish

Of f*ck, just watched the whole video, it is hilarious if it wasn't real life. It's like watching Alan Partridge impersonating a Vet or David Brent making up stories. No one really believes he was in the army though?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Interesting letter on MIkey's twitter feed which might indicate why many of London's taxi drivers hate cyclists who record their journeys...

This is hilarious, Mikey goes meta, and catches a driver reading an article about Mikey

Taxi driver also deserved what he got, what a muppet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The only front line that chap saw was the one for the officers canteen. 😂

I find cycling mikey to be unnecessarily confrontational much like the other fella cycling gaz. Yep the majority of the time they're correct. It's just a shame that it's cyclists calling out motorists as it just creates hatred for cyclists. It should be the police suffering the ire of motorists.

Sure we have our own Cork man hot on their heels. I find him entirely belligerent but more often than not he has every right to be. You can see though that some motorists appear to be targeting him as there seems to be numerous repeat offenders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't like cycling Mikey for completely irrational reasons, but I don't have much problem with him and don't generally see anything wrong in how he does it.

Our cork friend though, has **** awful awareness as far as I'm concerned and/or deliberately puts himself into stupid situations

If it's Mikey and Gaz that creates hatred of cyclists, who was responsible for all the hatred of cyclists that was commonplace before they came along?

Their previous iteration in whatever guise that may have been. There was a whole world prior to social media and the hatred towards cyclists was much more compartmentalised.

I don't blame them solely for it but more often than not for something I'd consider low on the risk scale he challenges motorist. Normal pattern ensues he plays the moral high ground motorist gets irate and drives off in an aggressive manner. Now motorist who previously may have had a dislike to cyclists is all wound up. What do you think his reaction to the next cyclist is going to be? Not good would be my guess.

Yes the argument is there for the next incident being as a result of motorist being on his phone or something else. There's no arguing that and I'm certainly not. Do you think anything he's doing is having a positive impact because I'm sure the behaviour of these motorists doesn't change.

I'd be all in favour of a specific task force in the police/Gardaí that would tackle this and not have cyclists policing this at all. This guy would be great to have and 10 others like him.

I don't think it was compartmentalised. It was all over the media, George Hook, Gerry Ryan, Pat Kenny and more complaining about cyclists. It was embedded into programming, with 'jokes' about how many points you'd get for hitting a cyclist or a pedestrian.

Hating cyclists isn't new, and isn't down to social media activists. Standing up to that hat is fairly new, and we need more of it.

"Hating cyclists isn't new, and isn't down to social media activists. Standing up to that hat is fairly new, and we need more of it."

That's not what I said though is it and if you think it hasn't been exacerbated by social I'm sorry but you're a fool.

Do you think the actions of Cycling Mikey, Cycling Gaz is having any significant impact on cyclists safety?

800 successful prosecutions in the past five years, including some highly publicised celebrity cases - you’re damn right he’s had a significant impact, more significant than most police officers.

Bottom line is he and others have had more of an impact then doing nothing. he's put a number of people off the roads and made others rethink their idiotic and dangerous behaviour. Thats a good thing.

It's the media just using him to drum up hate, but if it wasn't mikey it would just be something else or someone else to create the same cycling hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mikey doesn’t need anyone to help drum up the hate for him. The way he goes about his business is enough to get people to hate him. Personally I think he is an arse. Would have a lot more time for him doing the same stuff in his everyday commute rather than the way he justs go fishing for it

and as for cyclists in general being hated, they are hated for different reason and again don’t need the media to stir the pot. D1c&head cyclists going down wrong side of road, breaking lights, wrong way up one way streets, cycling on paths, unnecessary queue jumping etc etc, well it’s these lads who bring the hate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That's a lot of hate. Does everyone on the road hate everyone else? All those pedestrians stepping onto the road to get around obstacles, not bothering to cross at lights. The cars parked up on pavements, in loading bays, pulled in to bus stops. The delivery vans and taxis that just lash in the hazards and stop wherever they like. The motorists who have never heard of an indicator, who insist on driving 2ft from your rear bumper, who break the speed limit on every category of road, who think the middle lane on the motorway is for cruising at 90kmph, who think amber means accelerate?

Everyone using the road must be an as***le and hate everyone around them.

Advertisement