Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

On this morning

Had 500mb for 75. 6 months half price

Offered 1gb for 80 month with 6 months half price. Told them to go ahead and cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Q&A

Thursday marked a month to go before my current contract runs out. I have bb (250 meg) and phone. The current contract was half price for 6 months (31.50) and full price the subsequent 6 months (63).

Armed with my standard VF/Eir alternative price I was all set to point out a lot had changed in 12 months. BB was a luxury and an expensive one at that given the emergence of the cost of living crisis since my last call.

The call was just to cancel. Figured the annual dance would involve them calling me back at least once. But all sorted in the one call. Same package but this time a 9 month half price discount. So effectively paying the same price as a new customer. The plan was to let the OH sign up as a new customer if there was no traction from them.

The annual call to cancel is a pain but at the same time when it goes well there is a sense of achievement. I know at some point they won't post me the discount I want and I'll be off but that's for another year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone getting a cancellation deal for gigabyte BB and TV?

Thinking of switching to VF anyway as virgin BB hasn't been as reliable as it once was, is a fiver less per month than the promo desk I'm on that ends in March but havnt fully decided yet.

Normally cancel by email to avoid phone calls and we just switch to the Mrs name (and back to me)!each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

Does anybody know if you can still port the same landline number if you're changing from your own name to husbands? Contract is finished and they're not offering anything decent this year so was going to get hub to sign up as new customer online but want to keep my landline number if possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

I agreed over the phone a half price deal for 6 months however they send out a 1 page contract showing the full price over 12 months. Is this what they normally do i.e send the contract with the full price without mentioning the offer but when your billed the offer is billed as agreed or should I have to give them another call?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Give them another call. Not been with them for a few years but they always mentioned the discount on the contract on all mine over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks. I hope they don't renege on the agreement made over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Got 1gb bb only for 40 euro for 9 months and 80 for 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 15,043 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

thanks for that phone number, worked a treat.

Ended up getting basically the same offer as a new customer when the yearly amount is added up. maybe about €35 extra overall, which isn't the worst and nearly worth the added hassle of changing names and boxes etc. Lot's of kids shows recorded on the current box too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Snopake

For anyone signing up as a new customer, go online and add a package to your basket full out details etc. but don’t take the final step.

I got an email the next day offering a €75 O4A voucher to complete the purchase, could be worth it for some people

• Advertisement

Contract ends 22/3, I can't remember when cancelling by email if I have to wait until exactly 1 month out or can I do it a few days earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

You did well, I rang them about 5 weeks ago as was out of contract and back to full €60/m for same 250MB bb connection only. After 3 or 4 different levels of "managers" best they'd offer was half price for 6 months and full price for 6 months which I was on previously averaging out at €45/m. I told them if they offered me the same €39/m as per new customers I'd stay otherwise I was cancelling our 15+ year relationship. They wouldn't budge so I gave them their marching papers happy in the knowledge that fibre was finally available in my area.

Moved to Sky 500MB connection at €30/m for 12 months. Excellent technican from OpenEir was out to install the fibre line last week and all going well thus far, Virgin connection now dead and they've yet to send final bill and seek the return of their modem box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nice to have the choice, it's fttc or VM for me, maybe ftth will be available when my contract is out in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

True, FTTH was a long time coming and I'm in an urban area of Dublin 15. I had checked periodically over the years but first I heard of the rollout finally taking place was from a Vodafone rep at the door a couple of months back saying that FTTH was available and was I interested in Vodafone. I asked him now the install to the home was conducted as we never had fibre before and he went concocting all sorts of stories how fibre lines were already installed to everyone's front door. I offered to open the telephone cabinet at the side of the house to disprove his story but he didn't want to take me up on that. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that reps selling a particular product don't know how that product works or how it's installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Just called the 1800 940 199 number.

Keeping my 500mb Broadband currently @ €75 per month.

Managed to get 9 months @ €45 and the final 3 @ €70.

Happy enough with that.

7 Minutes in total on phone. No arguing or messing around. Was offered the deal straight away.

A pleasure for a change.

Have emailed to cancel our package the day after we come out of contract next month.

Toying whether to call to try and get a deal in 1GB BB and TV (or just do what we normally do and switch to partner's name).

BB hasn't been great of late and Vodafone seems to work well round here and now they have Gigabyte BB and and TV for a fiver less (€74 a month)...

For those getting deals on BB, do you get your TV from Virgin too? Any discount for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ba3

making annual calls , got offered 6 moths half price for just BB without much fuss last week, when called week before got offered nothing, it really depends who you get at the other end of the phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I got offered the measly €15 off a month for 9 months. I had been paying €92 a month for The big Bundle (TV & Broadband). Been with them 15+ years.

I got 6 months half price last year and 9 months half price the year before that. The agent said he could only offer me a certain discount because I had received other discounts in recent years. I think I will actually move this time and take up an offer with some other provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

Just sent the cancellation e-mail. No point bothering with phone calls anymore. Only way to get a good deal is to sign up as a new customer.

Will be interesting to see if anything improves when vodafone start selling on the virgin network.

Did the same,, used to flip each year between my and my wives names to get the new customer rate. This time am jumping to Vodafone.

A fiver a month cheaper than Virgins 'new customer' rate for gigabyte broadband and TV for 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

Can I ask what email address are you sending your cancellation to.

When I looked up how to cancel virgin, it gives a postal address only

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭EarWig

cancel@virginmedia.ie

And, I can confirm it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ltd440

Thanks, I'm going to cancel today and get the basic sky package for 38 euros.

I would have gone without a tv package this time around because other than the odd match nobody watches tv in my house anymore.

For the sake of an extra 3 euros a month I'll take the basic channels.

How long did it take virgin to reply to the mail?

I got an automatic acknowledgement email.

Phone call about 8 days later.

This was December.

Hmm. I sent yesterday. No acknowledgement yet.

Took 2 days this week to get the automated email. When does your 30 day notice period begin? Might depend on that.

Just got the automated reply now.

Yesterday I had sent a follow up mail asking if the original mail was received.

There's 2 confirmation e-mails 10 minutes apart. I saying it will cancel on the 29th march & the other saying the 30th March.

That's another thing to watch out for.

If they call to discuss the cancellation and you say that you still want to go ahead. They may reset the cancellation date to the date of the phone call. That happened to me in the past.

• Advertisement

Got this text message today.

Advertisement