Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭EarWig

Patience......they will call. I got three calls.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Reminded me to sign up for Vodafone actually.

They won't go any less than the new customer rate of €79 per month for 12 months for 1GB BB and TV and VF are slightly cheaper than that at the moment. Would switch to partner's name again if we were going to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

What number do they call from so I can ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Just got off the phone there. I had been paying 46 for 9 month and then 92 for the last 3. Told them i wanted to cancel. They offered 77 for 6 months and then 92 for the other 6. THey said they couldnt do anything more as I'd just come off the 50% a few months ago.

Told them no deal. THey dropped to 46 x 6 and 92 x 6. Told them the 92 for six was a killer as Eir was was 50 a month. They read me my notice info and sent me on my way. Will be moving to Eir.

After 5 years ftth has finally arrived at the ranch😊 some bargaining power for the battle in May when my contract expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Cancellation gone in and I'll be following through this time.

Even if they were to give the 9 months half price would average out at €43pm for the year compared to €35pm with Vodafone, guts of €100. Was told they don't do call backs anymore but presume just part of the spiel. If they send a text won't bother calling them back either to ask again for the 9 months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Cancelled nearly a month ago, no calls.....moving to a better deal with Vodafone for gagabyte BB and TV and neighbours who have switched say it's a more reliable service.

It's really countdown to when they will be forced to reduce prices to fight competition from Eir's urban rollout. Can't be more than a couple of years away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Recently got a deal: 1GB broadband at 9 months half price (€40)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kenn0

was just on to Virgin there

offered me

€89 for 9 months

€104 for 3

Sky sports €20 on a 30 day rolling contract

Their usual opening gambit 15 a month off, tell them to shove it, it's half price for at least 6 months or nothing.

I was just on the virgin website planning on signing up in my wife's name. They're offering a 75 one4all but also charging an activation fee of 30 which wasn't there before the one4all offer. Typical virgin bullshit.

In the end I've now signed up for three 5g broadband. Hopefully I don't regret it. I know a couple using it & they're happy with it so fingers crossed. It's a 2yr contract so if I'm not happy I'm screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You've your 14 day cooling off period to try it out for yourself at least.

Left VM in April of 2022 and went to VF. Broadband only, 35 a month, 500 mb broadband. No issues with it for the year, called to give 30 days notice to VF on Monday and got same price for another year with zero hassle. So much easier than the year BS from VM. Hopefully more keep leaving as Siro rolls out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I cancelled Virgin near the end of last year, as we had to move out while getting some work done.

Can sign up again as a new customer using my wife's details. But we can also get Eir/Vodafone/Sky etc. now up to 2BG (on Vodafone).

Any recommendations on deals or who has a better service? Will be getting Broadband only.

I paid the activation fee last year as a new customer, no voucher offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

VF 500mb for €35. Has been fine for me for 12 months now. Sky have broadband and sky q for €38 too which I'd have gone for if VF hadn't played ball.

Think I'll go with them now that ftth is finally available 😁

I paid it last year as well. Think I got a €50 card then. I'd looked up the plans a few weeks ago & the deal was 44/month with no activation fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You can get a a free TP Link Smart lightbulb and TP Link Smart Plug if you sign up through bonkers. Same monthly price. Vodafone seem to have a few offers around. I'm just trying to find the others.

I backtracked with the 5g broadband & signed up with virgin again.

I never received any confirmation from 3 about my order placed at 11am yesterday. Did a chat there to ask when it would be ready to use but they couldn't say. Asked me to wait 24-48 hours for them to review it & see what they say in the confirmation mail when they send it.

We work from home so have to have broadband sorted by mid next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

Got the text today, must be programmed to go out about a week after cancelling. 'We don't want to see you go...ring 1890940199 to see if there is anything we can do' despite the fact I told them what they could do to stop me cancelling in the first place.

I won't bother this year, already have Vodafone organised to be installed in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Rang the 1890... number there

Woman told me they could only offer me 6 months half price. Told her I know for a fact that people are being offered 9 months half price, got put on hold while she spoke to a supervisor 🙄, came back 2 minutes later and offered me the 9 months.

Job done in 7 or 8 minutes 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I just rang, spent a few minutes wrangling to get the 6mo half price, asked the operator to go check if they could do better (I accepted 6mo half price last year but this year I'm more than happy to switch). The dude wouldn't budge, so I proceeded to cancellation. I'm sure the fact that I accepted the offer last year creates an anchor price for them that I'm apparently willing to accept, so I made sure to bang on about tough financial circumstances, price-motivated, etc.

So either they ring back in 14 days with 9mo half price or I sign up to Sky and get a better deal overall, I'm fine either way. It's actually pleasant to go into these kind of interactions when you have two equally acceptable outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

As expected, they texted today (Wednesday) after cancellation last Friday. So I rang the number, asked for 9mo half-price, was put on hold for 5 mins and then got the OK. So, the battle is done until next year!

Well done, I'll be entering the ring next month 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What’s the craic with the Vodaphone setup?

What hardware do you get?

I’ve had virgin media since it was cable link and haven’t changed but have always rang looking for a discount.

I don’t want to bother with that this year so I’m looking at alternatives.

I don’t have an eir line into the house and I presume vodaphone comes in via 5g or whatever?

We’ve two working from home and on top of that two kids with iPads so I wonder would the vodaphone setup be as reliable as virgin?

If VF say you can get 1or 2gig speed you will get a fibre line into the house, drilling etc will be required, you also need two available sockets, one for the termination unit and one for the router. My next door neighbour got it installed on Monday, your man was messy enough with the install, it wasn't great that night she was saying, it kept dropping the connection, think I'll stay with VM...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Same, best offer 45 for 9 months reverted to 60. So cancelled. Within 5 days got the text, simple call, they suggested 30 for 9 months. Bobs your uncle

Advertisement