Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing BBC Channels on Free to Air box

Options
  • 17-02-2023 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

Recently a friend is missing BBC channels on FTA that were always available. A few weeks ago, I rescanned the FTA box and was able to get BBC from Wales and other areas rather than London. However now those channels are also unavailable too. His son (who in the next room) is also having problems picking up BBC channels on his FTA box. I've tried rescanning without any luck. I would appreciate if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I lost BBC 4 recently and got it back when rescanning, its gone again so I suspect its moved again. May try a rescan at the weekend. Annoying as I have to use channel sort and export and sort the list on a computer then import it back again on the old LG TV which has no program guide.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have you tried scrolling through all the available channels?

You should find some versions of the BBC channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

BBC have been rejigging some channels on satellite to upgrade to HD. The latest frequencies can be found here:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Logo

I did re-scan all channels a few weeks ago and BBC Wales was available then. I haven't been able to check lately but I've been told that all BBCs are now unavailable on their FTA box. BTY rescanning brings up a load of channel variations andI tried to save the channels of interest in order but the box didn't save them. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What FTA boxes?

Someone with the same boxes may be able to assist or even share a channel list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭amandstu

I have lost a few BBC channels too.

Strangely I also noticed BBC NI was working but without the sound.Did anyone else get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

BBC are in the process of converting all their services and regions to HD. Anyone with an old SD box/tv will have to consider upgrading.

Follow this thread for details https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056038616/new-channels/p44 as this is an evolving situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭MenloPete

There shouldn't be any need to upgrade to a new box. However, your box will have come with a list of transponders built in. Since the BBC transponder parameters have changed, your box will not know about them. You need to do either a Network Scan or a Blind Scan to find the new transponders and tune them in. Of course that will probably require you to re-order your channel list again.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

You won't get BBC on an sd box shortly as they are going HD across the board, so some will have to change boxes. Sky UK we're giving customers with sd boxes free HD boxes in advance of the switch to ensure continuity of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Are those boxes capable of receiving HD channels can you say make and model or name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I’ve a Triax SR110 box for watching Uk channels etc and noticed BBC Northern Ireland 1 and 2 and a few other channels gone , even with a retune , not coming back .

i assume gone for good ? Or how can I get them back , I have bbc Scotland / bbc north west etc .

I am pretty clueless on this , do I need to start thinking of investing in a new box ?

Thank you

This site has videos showing how to retune your box. https://www.freetv.ie/triax-sr110-free-to-air-satellite-receiver-user-manual/

Some settings to scan

10818 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

10773 H 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK.

10788 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

12422 H 27500 2/3 DVB-S QPSK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

That box looks like it only does STANDARD DEFENITION(SD) and at the moment BBC are getting rid of all SD channels but I think the end date is feb 2024. In the meantime they are shuffling around all the channels ie changing frequencies to that all the regions will be in HIGH DEFENITION(HD). Itv will follow suit. In the meantime all you need is the new frequency, see above, and scan in.

Gerry that box is SD I don think it will scan the above or some of the above.

Post edited by swoofer on

Thank you Gerry , maybe it’s me being clueless, when I go into TP scan on the menu , I don’t find any of those settings you mention . How do I do it to find missing channels?

BBC Northern Ireland 1 and 2 can’t get them back , few of the other BBC regional / red button gone too .

Am i snookered ? Thanks again

@swoofer Yeah I vaguely remember some of the old boxes don't offer/accept 23000 as an option.

In order to get all the Uk channels / free channels I assume I need to upgrade the current box I have ?

What would you recommend / price wise etc ? I don’t need anything too fancy.

And I assume it’s not just a case of disconnecting the scart lead off one box and connecting the new one ? I would need someone handy / installer to get it up and running for me .

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

People could try connecting the cable from the dish directly to the TV, if it has a satellite tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Are people using non HD TVS also i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Most of the newer boxes won't have scart, they will have HDMI or RCA ( red, white, yellow leads), you should be alright by getting the correct lead but if buying a new box make sure it has the correct connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

The regional BBC's will be fully gone on SD within the next few weeks

The BBC will be maintaining an SD serivice until about April 2024 to give people time to get HD equipment on 12422 H 27500 2/3 DVB-S QPSK.

That frequency will have BBC1 London though without any regional news ( just a red screen during those bulletins explaining what is happening ) , BBC2 , BBC3 , BBC4 , BBC News and a SD red button

• Advertisement

I don't seem able to get BBC4 HD even after a rescan on my Borc satellite receiver.(the red button channel doesn't come back either).Does that seem normal.?

Would it be best to "delete all channels" first before a rescan?(that is an option I can see)

Your box will not know the new settings so a normal scan wont find them. If your box has an option to do a "Network Scan" use that otherwise you will have to manually enter the settings

10818 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

10773 H 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

10788 V 23000 3/4 DVB-S2 8PSK

12422 H 27500 2/3 DVB-S QPSK

Ok . So looks like I need to invest in a HD box to keep getting Uk / bbc channels.

What price roughly for the box / installation would I be talking ? Will need to find somebody local to install it .

And any recommendations on a box please ?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭andy1249

You mentioned "Scart" leads earlier in the thread , which has been obsolete for a decade or more , so the question has to be asked , what TV do you have ? What is the new box going to be connected too ?

If your TV has Scart sockets , chances are that needs replacing also.

Almost all newer TVs use HDMI

Also there are smart TVs these days for very small money that have both Terrestrial and Satellite Tuners and that can record to a USB hard drive. Maybe one of those will do and you don't need a box at all.

Thanks , these are the wires/ connections I have at the back of the box ,

I assume I’ll need to get a new HD box to get all the Uk channels for the future , and an installer to put it in / tidy up the wires ?

The telly and box were installed 13 years ago , never caused me a minutes hassle , only started to think about it lately as more and more channels went off the box .

Not necessarily a recommendation but it is quite cheap (30 eu) and they do answer emails

My model has limited recording facility into a usb drive(just the current and following progs)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Photo shows very old scart lead and aerial connections and not SAT ?

Thats the connections I have , wires coming in from outside , connected to that box , gets me the free view / UK channels , telly has all the Irish channels.

looks like I need to get an installer in to do an upgrade of wires / box , I’m not knowledgeable on it .

Got 13 years out of it , all fine , time for something new it seems .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

I think there is a sat cable next to the empty scart connection?

Advertisement