Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Unreasonable, irrational depressive thoughts and beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's the extreme ones you hear about because they're saying disturbingthings on the Internet. I'm presuming there are plenty of people who just can't make intimate physical and emotional connections with romantic partners - ever. Is that a mental illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I don’t know. I’m far from an expert on human psychology. I’m well aware as any discerning human being with a few years of life experience, of the sliding scale of human attraction and some are more fortunate than others on that scale as is the case in nearly every field of human attribute and endeavour . If such a realisation knocks some people for six to the extent where it is an obsession then I would say that is heading in the direction of mental illness or at the very least a course of counselling. I would say a person who accepts this reality and informs their choice of partner based on that reality will find someone. The amount of people of sound mind and good character and no other major negative factors who are so physically unattractive that they can’t attract anyone must surely be a tiny percentage. Although no doubt they do exist. And I’m sure the vast majority of that small percentage have made peace with that reality too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good question that. Now there are asexual folks who don't want the physical intimacy, but who can and do forge emotional connections with others, but I'd not include them among the involuntary celibate people(not just men either). They are born that way and most of all have a choice. Humans are a social animal. It's at our very core as a species. Within that framework the inability to connect socially and romantically would be by definition outside the norm. So yeah, I would personally feel that there would be a cluster of different mental illnesses or conditions among that group. Some could suffer from neurodevelopmental disorders like autism, others may become like that because of past emotional traumas and the like.

As to the question of what do they want? I would say that's a large part of the problem. From my reading of them I'm not sure they know themselves beyond the surface. It seems it's more about what they think they can't have. Which is mostly a fantasy imagining of actual human sociosexual relationships.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I forgot about this thread....

I have no sympathy for 95% of people missing flights through Dublin Airport at the moment....

No one cares if you cant get to your shìtty all inclusive getaway in ballyponza....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Its interesting....you can have an unpopular opinion but not an unpopular opinion about Rugby...(that thread has been closed?)

Oh well, seems that a few nerves had been touched over there.....

There is no housing crisis in this country.....

There are plenty of houses around...

You either cant afford them or you dont want to live in the ones you can afford.....

In many Irish Bricks and Mortar Shops certain staff both young and old talk to customers young and old as if the assistant talking about a making a "choice" with a toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

A quick browse on daft.ie tells you it's quite bleak out there at the moment

Irish Film / Food Festivals and Gadget Expos organised for 2022 seem to be advertised at short notice this year. All plugged very positively, best show ever etc And after they're over there's no take away from them, that's it - forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ve read this post about 10 times and still Can’t make head nor tail of it. Is there punctuation or words missing?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

My one is: punctuation is extremely important. Grammar equally so. Fewer and fewer people online seemed to understand their importance. I find myself struggling with a lot of posts on here and on Twitter, whereas younger people understand them because they’re used to the lack of punctuation and bad grammar.

I’m not going to be a grammar Nazi or anything, everyone makes mistakes. But it’s like people don’t even care anymore.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think what she's trying to say is:

Both young and old toddlers assist certain staff in talking about bricks and mortar, as if the customers are a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know fella's and there always and their always on about Michael Collins/Co and their always saying how they'd be shocked/ashamed with the government/etc. Ya fair enough but they'd also probably think your a scumbag if they met you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We could do with a conservative government now

I'd like a bowl of Ricicles!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Throw a bit of sugar on a bowl of rice krispies. Not quite the same but very close.

Zara(clothes shop) is over hyped!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Booze is massively over-rated.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sets them up nicely for an soul destroying office job in the corporate world!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Funny no ones actually been caught actually spiking a drink, in a bar full of witnesses and CCTV?

Reckon most claims are BS, people overestimating their own drinking ability or taking recreational or prescription drugs. Strange they come in waves too, no cases for ages and then a clatter of them hitting media all of a sudden, classic mass hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭foxsake

Often i think the media and political commentary infantilizes women and other minority groups.

Paints them as victims with no control or responsibility for their own actions,

I know some great women and I think they are done a disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭foxsake

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Generally speaking, in terms of quality, modern day Gaelic football is a great sport and has never been in a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Female comedians are just not that funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I’m baffled as to why the Irish rugby team get so much praise for winning a tournament in a sport played almost exclusively by the privileged posho sons of the monied class in this country.

I’d say the likes of Johnny Sexton and Drico look at the Irish chattering classes with the same kind of confused contempt that the English royals do when they see the common people waving their little Union Jacks at them.

Consider the complete absence of serious rugby participation, apart from about ten countries, around the world and you’ll quickly realise that Ireland are very much a large fish in a tiny puddle.

Why are our proud athletes in genuinely world spanning sports such as running, boxing, cycling, rowing etc reliant on almsgiving and the common folks of Éire are throwing themselves to the ground to worship at the feet of the rugby set? It really is this weird sort of internalised classism where the privileged few still get their moments to dazzle in the spotlight while our boxing heroes have to survive in their shadow like fungi.

Advertisement