Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clarkson's Farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Deub wrote: »
    I just wanted to know. In your post, it is stated as a fact when in reality it is your opinion. And to be clear, it could be the reason he bought it but as you say we are not telepathic so we don’t know.

We don't know 100%. But every farmer reading this forum when they hear of a business person with zero education in agriculture buying land I'd bet the first conclusion they reach is capital wealth creation and appreciation.
    And going by the series and life experience is a founded one.

It was even mentioned above in the thread as a tool for legacy wealth movement to the next generation.
    And 100% there's that element too.

Just a read on British forums or social media there's a considerable number of farmers over there taking all the risk farming but not an inch of land to their name. Without the security of tenure improvements that could be generational to that farmer and farm are not made.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am a dedicated white-collar suburban chap (barring the Army bit), and I found the show most illuminating, as did the wife. Probably learned more about farming in the show than anywhere else. Of all the discussion I’ve seen over the last 9 pages, I have seen nothing indicating that he has given false information, varying from silly legislation (oxygenated water for a six minute fish ride), paperwork trauma (if the government can check your land to four decimal places of a square meter by satellite, why don’t they just do that instead of having you fill out forms?) or simple life realities like sheep attacking lambs in the wrong pen, or that’s a crop can fail due to a beetle which the law will not permit farmers to kill. What have I learned from the show which is false?

We are under no illusions that some of the “brilliant plans” or the Lambo tractor were simply conceived for entertainment, or that he could throw money at ideas because he was well funded, but we also came away with the impression that he was making a genuine go at it and that most of his reactions were genuine.

I’m not about to go buy a farm now, though. Hasn’t convinced me of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Did he say he didn't buy it to store money?
    Also, are you telepathic?

This is getting silly now. Bill Gates buys land. James Dyson buys land. Our own John Collison now buys land.
    The smart people buy land.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/the-abbey-leix-estate-abbeyleix-laois/4345704

This should be on the suckler cow thread, I'm sure it was the Roan cow on page 32 of the catalogue that contributed to clinching the sale.

I am a dedicated white-collar suburban chap (barring the Army bit), and I found the show most illuminating, as did the wife. Probably learned more about farming in the show than anywhere else. Of all the discussion I’ve seen over the last 9 pages, I have seen nothing indicating that he has given false information, varying from silly legislation (oxygenated water for a six minute fish ride), paperwork trauma (if the government can check your land to four decimal places of a square meter by satellite, why don’t they just do that instead of having you fill out forms?) or simple life realities like sheep attacking lambs in the wrong pen, or that’s a crop can fail due to a beetle which the law will not permit farmers to kill. What have I learned from the show which is false?

We are under no illusions that some of the “brilliant plans” or the Lambo tractor were simply conceived for entertainment, or that he could throw money at ideas because he was well funded, but we also came away with the impression that he was making a genuine go at it and that most of his reactions were genuine.

I’m not about to go buy a farm now, though. Hasn’t convinced me of that.

Very true. It has educated me as well as being entertaining. It’s pretty obvious to anyone who doesn’t have a huge chip on their shoulder which are the pieces done for entertainment purposes (like the tractor debacle), which are the pieces where he’s playing a part and being an idiot (like sliding the JCB into the ditch and getting everything stuck) and which are genuine and honest (how much he cared about the lambing, the frustrations with the red tape). The latter (the genuine bits) clearly make up most of the show

I’d add the price of lambs to your list of illuminations above. If I ever saw a field in the springtime with a couple of hundred lambs frolicking about, I’d think that farmer was minted. Now I know that that’s only worth 10 or 15 grand. Have a whole new appreciation for the hardships of farming life

The show is overwhelmingly a positive one and I have encouraged my family to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Very true. It has educated me as well as being entertaining. It’s pretty obvious to anyone who doesn’t have a huge chip on their shoulder which are the pieces done for entertainment purposes (like the tractor debacle), which are the pieces where he’s playing a part and being an idiot (like sliding the JCB into the ditch and getting everything stuck) and which are genuine and honest (how much he cared about the lambing, the frustrations with the red tape). The latter (the genuine bits) clearly make up most of the show

I’d add the price of lambs to your list of illuminations above. If I ever saw a field in the springtime with a couple of hundred lambs frolicking about, I’d think that farmer was minted. Now I know that that’s only worth 10 or 15 grand. Have a whole new appreciation for the hardships of farming life

The show is overwhelmingly a positive one and I have encouraged my family to watch it

That's exactly my take on the show too. I certainly wouldn't begrudge the farm to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

clarksons farm Vs love island.......discuss....

I haven't watched jeremy, and I won't watch the other

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    clarksons farm Vs love island.......discuss....

I haven't watched jeremy, and I won't watch the other

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

that’s a crop can fail due to a beetle which the law will not permit farmers to kill. What have I learned from the show which is false?

Farmers in the Uk were just amazed that he had a couple of fields that flea beetle didnt have of osr at the same time though he would be based in the wet west.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Is this likely to be available for purchase on DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

We don't know 100%. But every farmer reading this forum when they hear of a business person with zero education in agriculture buying land I'd bet the first conclusion they reach is capital wealth creation and appreciation.
    And going by the series and life experience is a founded one.

It was even mentioned above in the thread as a tool for legacy wealth movement to the next generation.
    And 100% there's that element too.

Just a read on British forums or social media there's a considerable number of farmers over there taking all the risk farming but not an inch of land to their name. Without the security of tenure improvements that could be generational to that farmer and farm are not made.
    Your not comparing apples and apples though, when your up into big boy numbers land will generate f all of the income compared to what can be done with the properties. Especially if you near a motorway to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Doubtful. Its an attraction for prime video. You can get a 30 day free trial though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It will be eventually ,they certainly released all the Grand tour stuff on a DVD ,at a guess I would say probably around Xmas , they will wont to see if it can drive subscribers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just watched episode 8 with the family.
    We all enjoyed it.

As a Dublin lad living I'm the countryside and having a bit Iand. I know what's involved with raising some poultry and having veg and silage so have a huge admiration for him taking on the farm.

Hope there is a second series.

Season 2 of Kaleb's Farm is officially announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Only got watching episode 1, they’re a good act

Reminds me of Tool time with Tim & Al on Home Improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

I wonder in season 2 will clarkson get to test mate the new 200,000 gn suffolk ram that another millionare (charlie boden) just bought................ more nonsense! In fairness clarksons contribution to the image of agriculture appears to be more positive than the pathetic circus that goes on at scottish sheep sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ETTG is aimed at people inside the M50, when you watch it with that perspective it makes allot more sense. The odd episode is interesting but most are bland at best, but feels like a missed opportunity

ireland has a big enough farming community to support a proper agricultural based program 60minites long. It’s just RTÉ know nothing about the wastelands outside the asphalt circle that protects them from the culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Season 2 is released tomorrow, apparently also renewed for a 3rd...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The 3rd is already made but it's not looking good for anymore after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

If it brings in the numbers then it will be continued to be made. Things will have calmed down by then

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s the truth. If they manage to keep his opinions under control it will be grand.

he’s a great entertainer no doubt but he is also a shocking moron too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭893bet

Unfortunately having an opinion these days is not really allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭blackbox

In fairness, what he said went a long way beyond just having an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭straight

Half of the UK have the same opinion. It's just that he became the target for the minority cancel culture asswipes.

Gladly cancel culture seems to be running out of steam. Automatic cancellation is now over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jog on over to current affairs please. You'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hardly current now is it?

Looking forward to seeing the new season.

Never even knew it existed.how date you pigeon hole me like that. 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is having an opinion and there is disgusting racist sick stuff like what that moron Clarkson said and for that reason alone I will not watch his farming show anymore.

I hope season 2 is a flop for him and season 3 never gets shown. That would teach him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Advertisement