Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clarkson's Farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

K.G. wrote: »
    I suppose the real question to ask about this show is why are rich people buying land.Around us land is starting to be bought up by wealthy people and they are not worried about whether they get a return or not.alot are letting it rewind.whats thinking is behind this current fashion for buying land

Negative interest rates have a lot to do with it I'd say, that along with it being a way of passing wealth to the next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭alps

I suppose the real question to ask about this show is why are rich people buying land.Around us land is starting to be bought up by wealthy people and they are not worried about whether they get a return or not.alot are letting it rewind.whats thinking is behind this current fashion for buying land

Wealth transfer advise...Few dairy enterprises set up on the back of the movement in Ireland of late.

What other asset class could you get into to return 3.% tax free pa return, plus capital apprexiation, plus tax efficient gift/inheritance?

Thought it was nice to hear Clarkson say that the initial 6 weeks lockdown, where he never budged from the farm, was the happiest he's ever been....

Remember, some people spend all their lives working with the goal to amass enough funds to buy what us guys take for granted..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Its all tax deductible entertainment etc. He makes 20mil a year, is worth 80 mil. Pocket change. Like playing in a sand box. Probably creating generational wealth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If this keeps up We could be looking for the land league back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I suppose the real question to ask about this show is why are rich people buying land.

In our family farm inheritance issues was going to cause the farm to be broken up into 4 lots once the grandfather passed. Its a real issue in my area with either the rich neighbouring farm buying up the land or investors. Most farms near me are 50 to 300 acres with 2 large farms and a couple of investors buying up the inheritance squabbles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Maybe there's a new business angle here.KG land minding services.i wouldn't charge too much

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

k mac wrote: »
    Must watch it was recommended by a friend. There is a shortage of good farming programmes, think this farming life on BBC2 is very good. TV3 did a brilliant programme years ago called Farmers A year on the land, each episode covered a different farming sector shame they never made another series, there was no comparision to it and that muck ear to the ground
    Must admit I like "Our Yorkshire farm" on channel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

If this keeps up We could be looking for the land league back

So true. Sad but true. People to busy looking at what the new “rich” owners are doing across the hedge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

One of the papers has the farm down as worth £500k

lol 1000 acres in a prime spot! Must of been 15 to 20 million? If not more.

Thought it was great, You could see he just threw money at all the problems, New sheds, Equipment, People.

He did an alright job too, I heard that the young lad is taking over running it for him not sure if it's true or not.

The police have been called to his shop as too many people are showing up now and not the usual crowd that are looking for raw milk and lamb.

I hope there's another season, he looked like he enjoyed himself, Hard work but rewarding work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Watched it all yesterday. Very good. Had a good laugh at the bugatti in the last episode.

He'll go again next year hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

afatbollix wrote: »
    One of the papers has the farm down as worth £500k

lol 1000 acres in a prime spot! Must of been 15 to 20 million? If not more.

Thought it was great, You could see he just threw money at all the problems, New sheds, Equipment, People.

He did an alright job too, I heard that the young lad is taking over running it for him not sure if it's true or not.

The police have been called to his shop as too many people are showing up now and not the usual crowd that are looking for raw milk and lamb.

I hope there's another season, he looked like he enjoyed himself, Hard work but rewarding work.

It's like fantasy farming. Here's £5 million, a funny man and an amazing farm. Do it. Great TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

Is there a way of watching it without Amazon prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DBK1 wrote: »

There is but I don't think it can be mentioned here.

You might be able to get a 30 day free trial?

I do wonder about the numbers - I'd be curious what rent he was charging the previous farmer and how much profit he made for his work/risk taking, after rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

You might be able to get a 30 day free trial?

I do wonder about the numbers - I'd be curious what rent he was charging the previous farmer and how much profit he made for his work/risk taking, after rent.
    Thanks. I’ll try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Tax. Ability to transfer wealth to the next generation in the most tax-efficient way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Tax. Ability to transfer wealth to the next generation in the most tax-efficient way possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-feudalism

I am saying this for years already - humankind started to regress somewhere in 80's and this is more and more obvious every year. Possibly we never really progressed as we are not much different in our behaviors we were thousands years ago - we only advanced in tools we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I wonder how much the farm cost..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I wonder how much the farm cost..

A similar 1000 acre farm here sold for €10million earlier this year, at a guess £9 > £12million. More than likely the higher price as the land is all in one site.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He bought the farm in 2008 ,still would have been huge money but he has plenty of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I’ll try that.
    Just remember to cancel before you are charged.

The other reason someone like Clarkson would buy land like this is the image of being the country gent/ lord of the Manor, swanning around in a rangerover, while still being able to be in London in a hour and a bit when they fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just remember to cancel before you are charged.

The other reason someone like Clarkson would buy land like this is the image of being the country gent/ lord of the Manor, swanning around in a rangerover, while still being able to be in London in a hour and a bit when they fancy it.

Spot on, Chipping Norton is renowned for that. They even have a name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipping_Norton_set

David Cameron and newspaper editors all live around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭wicklow_hunter

Great show, I would of thought the purchase of farm is to transfer wealth also to the next generation as ppl have said on here. Another example of this that springs to mind is James Dyson. The guy is hoovering up land in the uk and is 1 of the biggest land owners in county. Fair play to him very humble beginnings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We're overdosing on it at the moment, watching 2 hrs at a time.
    Its very good, most enjoyable. Kaleb is good crack, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more of him.
    We took advantage of the seven day free trial

It’s excellent entertainment but does nicely highlight some challenging aspects of farm life, albeit at a high level. He is after all a journalist so you’d expect that enquiring mind.
    What I think he does very well is respect the craft of his farming professionals working along side him- especially the shepherd . I take my hat off to him from that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My 8 year old boy is glued to this, language, blood, death & all.... He loves it. He grew up on Tractor Ted DVD's when he was much younger and we're surprised at how much he remembers from them to make the correlations regarding sheep & tillage.

He happily bailed in to a load of BBQ'd lamb chops this evening though!!

Good neeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwsssssssssss.........

Second season confirmed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭edward901

Is there any chance that this programe will be broadcast on some of the regular channels?BBC,ITV or Sky or even RTÉ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

edward901 wrote: »
    Is there any chance that this programe will be broadcast on some of the regular channels?BBC,ITV or Sky or even RTÉ....
    Not really any chance of that , you might be able to buy the tv show as a one off stream or on dvd release , but amazon keep their originals , particularly when they do well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

edward901 wrote: »

easy enough to get a free 30 day trial of prime, watch them and then cancel.

Advertisement