Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clarkson's Farm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is he still farming it now I wonder? Or is his hands on element dependent on the TV show? The way he was speaking on show suggested that he'll do it even if there's no show, I guess maybe not as full time though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

dulpit wrote: »
    Is he still farming it now I wonder? Or is his hands on element dependent on the TV show? The way he was speaking on show suggested that he'll do it even if there's no show, I guess maybe not as full time though?

Will most likely depend on what tv stuff he gets this year. Grand tour etc.

If none of that really happening he might go again id say.

Will most likely depend on what tv stuff he gets this year. Grand tour etc.

If none of that really happening he might go again id say.

He's made the most of the opportunity to be fair to him, Covid would have spoiled a lot of other projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He's made the most of the opportunity to be fair to him, Covid would have spoiled a lot of other projects.

I go as far as it was Covid that allowed the production go ahead.
    They say it was in the pipeline for a few years but as you say everything else had to be shelved whereas this on one set in the country with the few in it could go ahead as farming did.

They're spoiling us will there won't there be another one in public but that's just Clarkson bartering his price in public.

I go as far as it was Covid that allowed the production go ahead.
    They say it was in the pipeline for a few years but as you say everything else had to be shelved whereas this on one set in the country with the few in it could go ahead as farming did.

They're spoiling us will there won't there be another one in public but that's just Clarkson bartering his price in public.

It was the best TV I've watched in a long time. He could save a lot of money doing things differently but it wouldn't be popular to talk about that outside of hippie safe spaces :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭CoBo55

A television presenter buying a thousand acres and playing farmer for another television show production.
    It's discussed all through the thread.

That's completely untrue, did you watch the show?
    He specifically states he bought the complete farm in 2008 and was being worked by a farm manager who retired, he then had to make the decision what to do next so he decided to try and farm it himself, which is what he did.

The development of a modern form of landlordism where wealthy individuals are buying large tracts of land, pricing out us little people. Clarkson for example has 1,000 acres, Dyson has I believe something like 25k acres (correct me if I'm wrong) and so forth. That mass accumulation of land by private individuals will only increase.

Us little people....
    How much land have you got?
    If you want more land go to the bank and start buying, gotta speculate to accumulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Us little people....
    How much land have you got?
    If you want more land go to the bank and start buying, gotta speculate to accumulate.

You're mad if you think the bank is throwing out money to just anyone to speculate on agricultural land

That's completely untrue, did you watch the show?
    He specifically states he bought the complete farm in 2008 and was being worked by a farm manager who retired, he then had to make the decision what to do next so he decided to try and farm it himself, which is what he did.

What's his main income?
    How did he buy the farm?
    Why did he make the Amazon program?
    What part was untrue?

He's a television presenter first and foremost. He knows how to make money. His instinct was correct in this too. Another hit.
    More power to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What's his main income?
    How did he buy the farm?
    What part was untrue?

He's a television presenter first and foremost. He knows how to make money. His instinct was correct in this too. Another hit.
    More power to him.

I'd agree with all that. He is living the dream really.
    I reckon that show will open up more people's eyes about the troubles and joys of farming than alot of other farming shows. Even if parts are a bit more Top Gear than Ear to the Ground he still didn't hide the ugly bits.
    Anyone know what he paid for the farm back in 2008? Great time to have money....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just finished it last night, great show Caleb and Gerald were the real stars.

He made a big deal of only making £140 for the year, which is shocking, but only 5 minutes earlier his farm manager had said it was the worst year since 1976 and that figure didn't include any grants, but did include all the new equipment he'd bought.

Bullocks wrote: »
    You're mad if you think the bank is throwing out money to just anyone to speculate on agricultural land

Don't burst his bubble.

loyatemu wrote: »
    just finished it last night, great show Caleb and Gerald were the real stars.

He made a big deal of only making £140 for the year, which is shocking, but only 5 minutes earlier his farm manager had said it was the worst year since 1976 and that figure didn't include any grants, but did include all the new equipment he'd bought.

In fairness making a big deal of only making £140 for a 7 day week full year of work was not a bad thing.

What's his main income?
    How did he buy the farm?
    What part was untrue?

More power to him.

I agree with you 100%
    What's untrue is it being said he bought acres of land to do this show.

Bullocks wrote: »

Well unless you win the lotto that's the only way "us little people" will be able to acquire land...

Don't burst his bubble.

What bubble? Fair play to Clarkson, it was a very good series, it certainly highlighted how difficult farming is. It's a good job he didn't do it in Ireland he'd never have gotten past all the begrudgers.

What bubble? Fair play to Clarkson, it was a very good series, it certainly highlighted how difficult farming is. It's a good job he didn't do it in Ireland he'd never have gotten past all the begrudgers.

Bit early to be on the sauce surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgriLad

This video offers a good insight into the farm shop and how busy it is.

https://youtu.be/yuDHWbsZej0

AgriLad wrote: »
    This video offers a good insight into the farm shop and how busy it is.

https://youtu.be/yuDHWbsZej0

You awight Arrie? That's as far as I wanted to go in that video.

I agree with you 100%
    What's untrue is it being said he bought acres of land to do this show.

He bought the land to store money.
    Never said he bought it for a TV show.
    After his time on top gear ended he built a race track on farm to show lap times for cars on Amazon.
    Now the farm show and now the farm shop/center.

• Advertisement

After his time on top gear ended he built a race track on farm to show lap times for cars on Amazon.

I thought he has had the farm for years???

Sure didn't they use it for filming some of the first season of the Grand Tour?

And even then he had it a while.

A television presenter buying a thousand acres and playing farmer for another television show production.
    It's discussed all through the thread.

Lots of adoration of Jeremy going on here.:D

Where does the message above say he bought the farm to make a television show or bought it just before the television show?
    It doesn't.

It says a television presenter buying a thousand acres and playing farmer for another television show production.

That was the post. 100% factual. Honestly..

Anyway, crowds at the farm shop yesterday.

Lots of adoration of Jeremy going on here.:D

Where does the message above say he bought the farm to make a television show or bought it just before the television show?
    It doesn't.

It says a television presenter buying a thousand acres and playing farmer for another television show production.

That was the post. 100% factual. Honestly..

Anyway, crowds at the farm shop yesterday.

2 hour que to get into a shop :pac:

2 hour que to get into a shop :pac:

I see that and a little bit of flack was had for that.
    Response ..it's an attraction in itself now not just a farmshop.
    It'll work for a while on the publicity and if clarkson is available for pictures on social media.
    Longterm It'll be the quality of goods and experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Deub

Did he say he bought it to store money

Deub wrote: »

It's just the usual begrudgers scratching a living out of 10 acre scutch grass farms, don't waste your time engaging. Jealousy is a terrible emotion.

Deub wrote: »

Did he say he didn't buy it to store money?
    Also, are you telepathic?

This is getting silly now. Bill Gates buys land. James Dyson buys land. Our own John Collison now buys land.
    The smart people buy land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

You awight Arrie? That's as far as I wanted to go in that video.

Don't be so fecking miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Deub

Did he say he didn't buy it to store money?
    Also, are you telepathic?

This is getting silly now. Bill Gates buys land. James Dyson buys land. Our own John Collison now buys land.
    The smart people buy land.

I just wanted to know. In your post, it is stated as a fact when in reality it is your opinion. And to be clear, it could be the reason he bought it but as you say we are not telepathic so we don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Different countries have different tax systems, farming systems etc. In the UK large areas of land are owned by rel small number of individuals and often are farmed by people who take out lifetime or longterm leases on those lands or are managed for them. The Queen i think being the biggest and prob various members of royalty or whatever. Wealthy people from other areas are also doing the same as there are tax advantages as I understand it as well probably a safer place to store money in low interest rate times.
    Ireland I think in some study was actually up at the top in terms of equitable land ownership

Advertisement