Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

and the snow has started all over Greece with widespread disruption turning the Greek capital into a winter wonderland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2023/0206/1354046-snow-greece/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see the UKMO have mentioned a small chance of colder conditions from the 21st of February to the 7th March. I wonder is that to do with events in the strat. It seems we are not going to get a split but another displacement. According to the ECM seasonal March and April could be on the cold side with blocking. The CFS has been showing a lot of blocking through March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭Dazler97

And not to mention Turkey after 2 powerful earthquakes and several aftershocks, i think they will even get snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Currently raining and 3c in Athens. 6c tomorrow. A fleeting affair

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bland weather for the weather enthusiast in me but been great for getting the last of the winter jobs done around the garden, been topping trees and branches and sawing up wood all weekend, have enough wood now for the stove for about 3 winters I'd reckon. Got the grass cut too, 3 cuts in fact to get it back in shape, had missed the last cut or two last Autumn due to the very wet conditions, grand weather for working around the place, got up to 10.6C and 9.2C atm. Not great sunlight here over the last week, Saturday got fairly wet a couple of times but wanted to crack on before any growth gets going, but today and yesterday were great with usefull light just past 18.00, would give you a spring in your step 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

The ground really drying out now. Football pitches near me are in great condition now.

Yet another mild February beckons. Unfortunately what most of us don’t want is a cold Spring and that is now looking increasingly likely. A repeat of March 2013 perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Fairly gusty tomorrow up along the Mayo Sligo and Donegal coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Geeze I hope not, that is my coldest winter month on average, had by far the most amount of cold days and had way above average rain, and the lowest max temperature of any month by 2 degrees no thanks!! We had our earliest BBQ IIRC in March 2015, would take that instead!

No, just no!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild and wailing wind, seeming to worsen as the hours pass. And a bitter cold in its breath.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

Great stats there!

Who knows but the SSW could give us a cold March. CFS (for what it’s worth) has been hinting at a cold March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Woke up to a good covering of snow on 27 March 2013 but that was quickly gone before midday in that sun. Had lots of wintry showers and a snow conducive setup on 11 March too but it never stuck for whatever reason.

Other than that, appalling month. Hated it to bits. But at least we were treated with a stunning summer especially that July.

According to Prof Adam Scaife, head of long-range forecasting at the Met Office, "there is now over 80% chance of a major SSW occurring" this year.

Prof Scaife says: "Although the impact will become clearer nearer the time, any effect on UK weather is most likely to occur in late February and March."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately this potential for a major SSW is too late imo, we needed this about 2 weeks ago to have the chance of affecting our weather in the final 2 weeks of February.

A repeat of March 2013 is possible this year but I've no interest in that. As Sryan said there were plenty of snow showers that year but everything would be melted by mid morning or earlier. The UK did fair better than we did during March 2013 in regards to snow cover, daytime temperatures there must have been lower than they were here.

After a very disappointing winter 2022/2023 I just want Spring to get going and looking forward to warmer temperatures.

140,000 customers lost power 100km to your north during the blizzard at the end of march 2013. Gust of 111km/h. 40cm of snow recorded but “the worst disruption occurred in areas without Met Office recording sites, for example the east of Northern Ireland” with drifts in excess of several metres. 45k livestock perished.

The above featured nothing but cold rain for the republic. Temperatures were close to 0C but all that fell was rain and lots of it, not even a hint of sleet in it. It was a miserable few days.

March 2018 was much better with Storm Emma to start the month off and then more snow on Paddys Day, but March 2018 was an exceptional direct hit shot of cold that certainly delivered with snow. We would need something very cold with instability and another direct hit to have a similar outcome for early March 2023.

Actually no. The system that brought that blizzard started out as snow here. I remember being out in it, started around 1am. In fairness it only last for a couple of hours as slightly milder air pushed in, was close to the jackpot that time. Apart from that system I remember snow numerous times throughout that month including our taxi breaking down in snow on the way back from a night out.

Starry magnificence overhead in the winter chill.... All the old familiar formations and beauty. Look up!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

I’m confused as to the forecast for the west this weekend. The met eireann app shows sunshine and no cloud for Galway city for Saturday. However the weather forecast after the news said ‘dull, some mist possible’ on these days. Is no one updating the app or is someone incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Always read the text forecast, automated forecasts in the app are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Anyone that lives in Galway long enough will know to expect rain every day, anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Hooter23

They are so busy they auto generate their forecasts...I mean its not as if its important...its not as if its their job😳

My but the cold! Bitter deep chill in utter stillness. "Shiver me timbers" weather.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like an air frost in many areas last night but with anywhere on or near the western seaboard having a comparatively mild night. Westport, for example, only got down to about 6c during the night whilst near Killarney, it got down below 0c most likely thanks to shelter and the nearby mountains keeping the marine influence away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Actually I believe the nautical term "shiver me timbers" references the sounds made by the sailing boat's planking in heavy or stormy seas. It used to frighten the sailors.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

This Winter is virtually done. The weather we have today will be common until March. Even looking at CFS (Can't Forecast Shxt) there seems very little in the way of unsettled weather this Spring just short bursts. Summer looks mixed. But July hot again. Its as reliable as the GFS one day out.

This winter basically died mid December and we've been mostly mild ever since. Away from the north-west and parts of the midlands which had some wintry weather in second week of January there's been very little happening this winter. At least the deluges stopped and the land has dried out. Trying to decide will I give this winter a 0 out of 10 or a 1 out of 10 which is being generous.

Feeling confident we will finally see flakes this March but that's when I want the warmth to start building.

The warmth can wait if we get deep cold out of this. It won't be the same as if we had it in mid winter, but beggars can't be choosers. In March 2013 I saw a lot of snowfall but despite the very low temperatures there was still some melt. If it had occurred a month earlier there would have been none and likely fog rising from the fields in the evening like there was last December. Where I tend to lose interest in snow falling is by mid march onwards - unless we got a snow storm similar to the 1917 and 1933 events . I think there was so much snow in one of those that it took a few days for all the snow to melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have to say I really enjoyed this winter so far. The cold days in December were magical. Some amazing blue sky days and beautiful frosty scenes. It was like having snow on the lawn with the amount of ice on the grass. I did get some snow in the mountains too which helped.

I was worried about flooding but the dry/cold periods came at the right times. This week has been lovely too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Yes it was a fantastic cold spell. The frost staying on the trees all day at the peak of it was great. The highlight for me though was the thick rime frost resembling snow after a while. I have never seen anything like it before. Such a shame the cold did not keep going up to Christmas and beyond.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement