Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

*double post*.

Thanks Brian, yes I specifically meant rural Connemara, where I believe it is in the national green movement’s interest (beyond just the antiroad types) to deter hated “one off housing”, which Connemara would lend itself toward if not for existing suppression via planning law prohibitions.

reporting this.

and re:

“Population projection for 2040 is 120,000 I believe. Good luck increasing the population by 50% if you want to let them all drive cars”.

I think the difficulty is on the far side. Good luck getting 120,000 to live in a place with no controls over who gets to drive bar jungle law. A hostile environment means depopulation.

If the population is projected to grow that much, it surely backs up the argument for the road?

Quite the opposite in fact.

If you increase the population by 50% and assume a 50% increase in cars over the next 20 years and built the ring road, you still don't have capacity on the rest of the road network for that 50% increase. You have a ring road, sure, and everyone is encouraged to drive because of it, but once they take a exit off it you're hitting a road network that is already at capacity.

Simply put, prioritizing the least efficient mode of transport will lead to the least efficient network as you will max out capacity quickly.

However if you put a network of infrastructure for more efficient modes, you see a modal shift which increases the capacity of routes. SQR is a good example of what I mean. It was a 2 lane road, hostile to everything except cars. Now its a 2 lane road, with bus lanes, bike lanes and controlled crossing points for pedestrians.

Granted its only a piece, and more is needed in terms of a network, but it, and the upcoming Dublin Rd plans, show what needs to be done to increase the capacity of the road network. The cross city link shows what has to happen where space is constrained i.e. space for cars has to be removed (on-street parking, one-ways, no through route etc.

The GTS is literally only scratching the surface of what needs to be done in Galway.

The priority has to shift from moving cars, to moving people. Once that happens, capacity is freed up for those who MUST drive

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

To my fair, I don't believe any movement in Ireland is so organised to be doing what you're suggesting.

Rural one off housing has major downsides due to lack of centralised services. All over Ireland there is a major pushback on one off housing. The frustrating thing is the total lack of government initiatives to encourage people to live in villages and towns.

This is well off topic though for this thread.

Absolutely, capacity has to come primarily in the form of public transport.

However, it's not unreasonable to assume a new road, as well as PT, is simultaneously needed.

More roads and a river crossing, for all forms of transport (active travel, buses, cars, commercial vehicles) is necessary for a city growing as fast as Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whether or not a new road is required hasn't really been established given that no other options have been properly explored. What the council need to do is establish and enforce proper public transport routes along with safe active travel routes. Once people see that these are viable optioins, the numbers driving will automatically decrease. Once this happens, they can investigate if a new road is required.

However, the current approach is to build a road even though they admit it will make traffic worse and then afterwards, they will look at some alternative options which given Galway's history will be piss poor. It is backwards thinking which given the amounts of money needed represents atrocious value and as we know will only make things worse.

@[Deleted User]: reporting this.

Work away.

However, despite my bluntness, my request still stands. Stop with the nonsense regarding some movement which you previously claimed was well organised and funded. You are deliberately trying to imply that there is some subversive group challenging progress when in fact it is nothing of the sort. Why you feel the need to portray this is beyond me; maybe you feel your own arguments don't stand on their own merit.

That’s the thing though. While the whys/why nots of One off housing are certainly off topic, would an element of opposition to the road at hand not be seeing them as part of the “induced demand” they’re trying to avoid? Imagine if we had no laws and the road went in. Thousands of plots all over Connemara, all within an hour’s drive of the city, every day. Heck the current holiday homes would become full-time ones.

You think of that, you get why the movement (which, again, I do not define as -Organised-, just aligned.) would fight tooth & nail to keep the last undeveloped commuterbelt area undeveloped.

(for the record I’m against deregulative free-for-all as well)

(Also re: “movements”, The way ye seem to define it is as a shadowy cabal pulling strings. I’m just encompassing everyone with that opinion who’s active to advocate for it. A much larger example of a “movement” would be the anti abortion movement, encompassing all from the big think tank press-release-making Religious institutions all the way down to that wagon Bridie down the priest’s house sharing “Pro-Life” shite on Facebook.)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

One way or another, can we please move on from this. It's not getting us anywhere.

At the end of the day, what will determine the need for a road and PT requirements will be driven by facts and figures. Not to mention a sound planning application that ticks all the environmental boxes and doesn't fall at such an early hurdle

“This has been a movement political broadcast from the antiroads movement”

Bad jokes aside (and it was a Joke!) you feel the need for a Modal Shift 101 post here. Have you felt the need to post Modal Shift 101 on other road project threads, or do their designs align with the concept well enough that you see the required Modal Shift being encouraged through them?

• Advertisement

“An element of the opposition to the Galway Ring Road is a desire to negate any encouragement of one off housing development west of the river thst the road would enable, in what would become the Western commuter belt for Galway”

I think we can all agree that definition is accurate, yes?

No.

I have defined myself as clearly as I can. Only those who have an interest in lying about my record to discredit it would misinterpret my writings about the definition of a “movement” in political terms. I will not be engaging with you any further.

It's not so much about one off housing as people using cars to commute to work.

You could entirely ban one off housing and build 30story apartment blocks in Bearna and Spiddal. The same issues would still persist... if you make it easier to drive (more roads), then people will drive.

Can you at least accept the genuine concern that building more roads might be a short term solution before congestion returns to previous levels?..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

He doesn’t like dealing in facts, you’ll be on the ignore list if you provide factual answers 🙄

I expect congestion to be a thing whether we have one road or twenty. It’s a thing and will remain a thing. As long as there’s anything like a class, a shift, a game, a concert, anything where a shedload of people have to get to the same place at the same time, congestion will be a thing. If you want to tackle it you go after the owners & parkers. Go after the vehicles. Who gets to use a vehicle and why. If there’s an upper limit, lets set it and get people who can’t live to that to get the f*ck out to a place where they can function.

So if you admit there will be congestion regardless, why would you bother building a new ring road?

Did he ask me a question? i can’t see I put him on ignore.

I'm a bit confused by this. Are you seriously suggesting banning people from choosing to drive?

If you want to force that on people, you need to build enhanced public transport.

If you want people to choose not to drive, you need to give them alternatives. Building more roads, which make it easier to drive, won't make people take public transport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The congestion that the GCRR is designed to combat is not the return of the Galway team arriving back after winning the All Ireland, it is the daily rush commute of cars getting blocked in the same place every working day - the Coolagh Roundabout to Briar Hill, or the Two Mile Ditch to BnT - every working day.

I do not believe that any solution that does not provide widespread PT and active travel that encourages mass modal shift away from cars will make any difference whatsoever.

[The Bray Air Display that had the Dart so overwhelmed that it had overloaded trains stuck on the approach to Bray for so long that passengers forced the doors and walked along the line making the situation many times worse. Any such event needs some form of ticketing - even if the tickets are free. However such matters are way off topic for this thread.]

• Advertisement

Do you think I'm against more PT? Not at all. I just know that Galway has a unique problem that it has two bridges, and f something happens to shut down one it would endanger the lives of ambulance patients. That only gets solved with more rier crossings, and since one is on th cards we need to fight tooth & nail for that bridge.

Lot easier to tax & licence a car off the road than tell an ambulance to drive through 2 fields & a river.

Anyways, by the looks of it people are voting with their moving vans. Galway wil reach an uncomfortable population peak which "induced demand", be that on road or PT capacity, will make sure is overbusy.

Interesting to note the public transport advocates comment in that article

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neiljung

I'd generally be an advocate of bypasses/ring roads and for me Galway is no different. It can/should be a win win when you take any form of traffic that doesn't want or need to be in the city out of the streets where space is most valuable.

In all the back and forth on pros and cons I'm surprised the impact on PT/AT doesn’t come up more often. As a basic factor it must surely be accepted that the PT/AT solutions for Galway are far more constrained without a Ring Road. Without it the starting point for any PT/AT scheme has to be facilitating the transport of every person/good/vehicle etc. across the Corrib using the existing bridges before any PT/AT positive change is made. The benefit of moving a significant portion of that calualtion off the board has to be a very significant benefit. It won't be possible to obtain the same level of pedestrianisation/cycling segregation/PT prioritisation and journey times where the GCRR is not in place.

You could argue that it's a prioritisiation issue and that funding the road means less for PT, which is fair enough. In the current environment given focus on climate change mitigating actions I don't see it as an issue, its the shortage of even medium term PT projects suitable to fund that's the problem as opposed to funds themselves, but yes that may not last forever. But even with lots of funds I think its difficult to use money to improve PT in the city centre that will have anything like the impact of moving traffic and in particular HGVs out altogether.

Maybe there's something Gawlay specific I'm missing but as a walker/cyclist/PT user I can only see benefits and better options to further improve with the GCRR in place.

The problem is the entrenched interests of the local antiroad movement. who are used to the tools of the objection trade. There's been a data centre, a hospice, cycle lanes, as well as the Road prevented from going ahead by an objector-sympathetic planning system around Galway.

The stopping of road is a big political win for them, a beacon of hope for less successful anti-development movements across the country, and in their mind an asset to force people to not drive into the city. "If the road gets built, we can't make them use the bus like the congestion can."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm confused about all of this. From my admittedly limited time in Galway, or indeed from just looking at the place on a map, it seems to be that the problems in the region all stem from the fact that the main East-West route shares a section with the main North-South route along the Headford Road, and that as such this is a key bottleneck for more or less anyone trying to do anything from their daily commute to literally all the other reasons that people travel at various times of the day, including long distance travel from the majority of Ireland to the entire city and county West of the Corrib river. And it seems to me that the anti-motorist brigade consider it acceptable that most journeys in the region regardless of direction have to go up or down this key choke point which is a de-facto city street.

And I perceive this as being bad for everyone - the people who are the victims of this mess and the entire West county that is to some extent disconnected from most of the rest of Ireland.

Correct me if I am wrong but there is precisely zero possibility here for a "win win" scenario as suggested by a poster just above, that the Greta Thunberg and doom-mongers fanatics want to keep everyone stuck on the Headford Road. Is it the case that any solution will be viewed as bad by some if it gives people any alternative whatsoever to being on a street they don't want to be and have no business being on, no matter what else is included in the plan e.g. cycle lanes, buses etc?

The big problem with the above is that the proposed road, even if it wasn't a dead duck, is many, many years away and we can't keep going on as we are waiting for it to arrive.

If the planners had included some simultaneous public transport plans or even a very simple legal commitment to reduce car access across inner city bridges upon opening, there wouldn't be half as much objection.

But they didn't. They keep reaffirming that "we'll build the road first and then consider those things".

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TnxM17

There are a few people on here who keep suggesting that this is being held up by anti-roads groups. This is rubbish.

This is the roads forum, many, including myself are against THIS planned ring road but who are enthusiastically posting in other road threads. I don't want to talk for them, but I am against the GCRR as it is overspec for what its meant to achieve. Its been poorly planned so will continue to get brought through the courts. To me its a dead duck, yet the City & TII seem determined to go ahead while doing little as the city's traffic is getting worse.

Also, while the movement of traffic going from one side of Galway to get to the other may look obvious it only accounts for 3% of traffic. They should look at doing smaller projects that can connect some of the roads coming in to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yeah, you won’t find a more pro-road group of people anywhere than the posters on this forum, so it says a lot that the majority think that this Ring Road is a bad idea, even though it would be a very interesting project from an engineering point of view.

Galway needs some kind of a ring-road for traffic that does not need to enter the city. That is not a big amount of traffic, so a 2+2 road would be adequate, and could be located away from expensive solutions like the racecourse tunnel. The big problem I had with this plan is that it has multiple closely-spaced junctions, that will effectively turn it into a massive urban collector-distributor that will just generate more suburban traffic.

You cannot fix the traffic problems of Galway without reducing the amount of traffic. The cost of this project shows that there’s really not enough space to try build out of the problem (leaving aside that every single city that tried to road-build its way out of its traffic problems had them come back within 10 years).

Give a third of of the commuters a better option than driving through the city, and there’s no traffic problems anymore. A “better option” means not driving, not taking a longer trip on a ring-road that will soon be as congested as the city was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Agreed with previous posters. I'm not "anti-road". My synopsis: bypass OK, "ring road" not OK.

I'm even OK with more Galway distributor roads tbh. This proposal has been described as "a road that when complete, will allow us to begin to think about the solutions to Galway's traffic issues" and also "a road to open up areas for development". That makes no sense whatsoever to me. If you want a Galway East-West bypass, this proposed road is not an optimal solution. It hasn't be designed for that purpose, rather it's double-jobbing from the outset just like the M50 and N40.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement