Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

You’ve completely lost me now. I do not understand this one iota.

to the first question, the statement, as I’ve said multiple times, is “There is a movement of people from all corners of Ireland that does not want to see new roads built. This movement has focused its effort & energy on Galway. My belief is that this is because Galway’s anti road movement has had the most success in the country in acheiving its aims, namely preventing current and historical roadbuilding efforts from taking place.” There’s no addition & no inference meant to that. I do not consider it a conspiracy.

To the second, the answer is “No.”

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

You're just ranting about anti road people and not being constructive to this thread. That's my point, just to be clear.

I'll stop engaging now. This thread is hopeless just like the road 😂

My question is though (in general) why this project and not the others? Why Galway?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There’s an entire forum of road projects & infrastructure. Pick one. Pick any. And tell me why they don’t have the national attention Galway gets from the anti-roads movement? Tell me why this thread gets to such a stage that it gets locked, and theirs is left to the road advocates?

• Advertisement

So in your head there is some well funded national movement against roads but you cannot tell us any projects except the Galway Ring Road where they have been active.

By the way, it is not my role to find evidence to back up your absurd claims!

It shouldn't be so hard to comprehend that this road has specific issues.

It needs 2 tunnels, a viaduct and a long bridge, and passes through a large Special Area of Conservation. Not to mention all the houses that require demolishing.

How about you provide an example from Ireland of a similarly complex road project?...

I’ve repeatedly said I am using “movement” as a descriptor of the general group of anti road advocates and that I do not define them as an organised group.

You are misreading my words. But sure it’s not like you moderate a forum full of advocates who make their hobbies and most likely their careers out of doing that delib……oh wait.

Thank you. I would say the Jack Lynch tunnel, the Limerick tunnel, the M50 would qualify. But the thing is they got built. Galway’s works weren’t, and they will remain unbuilt for the foreseeable. It would be very much in the interest of national anti-road advocates to find out why, so they can apply these lessons to stop future projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭byrne249

This is a fascinating thread. It is highlighting the doom spiral of argumentative personality types. How any of these people think there aren't 'movements' is baffling. I am from the Tara area, the hippies and the archaeologists and general do gooders were up in arms over the M3 going through their precious valley, so they moved it further from the hill than the current N3, they still weren't happy of course but it got built and thank god it did.

I recall driving to Newtown mt K. as a child and watching the hippies living out of garbage bags to protect trees from the M11 progress. Thank god that got built too.

Having lived in Galway for 6 years until last June and promptly leaving it as it is a festering pit of negligence and general backwardness, there seems to be no real 'movement' against it at all which is the irony in your own posts. It's a general ineptitude of backward troglodytes suddenly trying to manage a growing 'city'.

The equivalent would be Offaly council building endless estates around tullamore for the next 70 years while not widening a single road or building a bridge. The difference is Tullamore actually has 4 bridges across the canal and a ring road already. Galway is a joke. There is a reason nobody from the East of the country moves/stays there. Things might not be great in Dublin but they get built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We have all the exact same problems in Limerick.Look at the LNDR or the Adare bypass.

Threads for every county on this site are the same. Always posters thinking their county has a whole bunch of unique problems everytime roads or shops come up.

The M50 is around the capital city, a city 10 times larger than Galway. The Jack Lynch Tunnel is in our second largest city, three times larger than Galway. The Limerick Tunnel connects to Shannon International Airport and the Shannon Free Zone, the world's first free trade area established in 1959 which supports 7000 direct jobs.

None of these go through a large Special Area of Conservation and none of these required dozens of homes to be demolished during their construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fair comment yes, but I will add that both Cork and Dublin and Limerick kept protected corridors for their ring roads, to a large extent. So demolition of homes wasn't necessary, the route was protected.

Galway Co Co and City Co can't plan for squat so they allowed one-off houses to be flung everywhere without giving any thought to a corridor to be kept clear. Its the same reason why the majority live on the opposite side of the river to where they work. Atrotious planning.

Edit: 14 years since I posted this thread, and counting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, that is part of it.

I think it is the view that any PT or sustainable transport initiatives have to wait until the motorway/distributor road is built as it alone is the only possible solution to Galway City centre traffic issues, as seen by the councils responsible for solving those issues, and have for a very long time.

Galway City Council should have reserved land in Terryland 50 years ago to allow for a Corrib Bridge to go from BnT to Newcastle. If they had it would have been forward planning, and the bypass/ring road would be built by now.

Mod: That time for shutting this thread is getting closer. Can posters up their game.

Just a few suggestions.

This thread is about Galway City traffic and its solutions - one of which is the GCRR, but unlikely to be the sole solution. It is also a decade away.

PT has to be a significant player, as does cycling and walking.

P&R has to figure if modal shift from cars is to occur.

Anyway, point scoring is a waste of time. And commenting on other posters rather than their posts is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

I agree with this post, but history and geography matter.

"It's the same reason why the majority live on the opposite side of the river to where they work."

Posters keep lamenting all the houses were built on the west of the City, but the factories were built on the east. Check out where the schools are/where in the 1980s, secondary in black,

Most of the school locations are pre 1970, (some like Salerno, Jes national moved location slightly). One could argue (I would not) that the factories were in the wrong place, but dragging trucks through 1960/70 Galway would have been a terrible idea. Galway planning is and has been crap for 50 years, but geography and history played a part, as did lack of money.

Also land on the west of the river is mainly crap, mainly good farmland on the east. That actually mattered back then when we were an agricultural economy.

Back then lots of kids walked, bussed or cycled to school. (Up hill both ways in the snow. Ya tell that to kids these days and the nae believe ya)

*I think, I have most of the schools, the one near Westwood was probably outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The original Galway City Outer Bypass would, IIRC, have resulted in the demolition of four houses.

One of the reasons it got refused was limestone paving on the Menlo side. People were very concerned about this limestone paving, but not concerned enough about it to stop GCC giving planning permissions for houses on top of the bloody thing. And the other thing about limestone paving is that it needs to be maintained (trees growing up through it cause it to crack and break up). Again, did GCC do anything about maintaining it? Did they fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Listening to PO'Reilly on RTE stating that the ring road would only remove 40% traffic from the city. Hello ?? 40% is a lot. What do you want ? 95% to accept RR is required.

Sean Kyne pointed out, if you remove 40%, you can then at least focus on public transport solutions for the other communters. I agree.

We need proper public transport. We need a city bypass. The smallest German, French, Dutch cities have managed to provide these 2 solutions since the 90's. Galway CC are just feckin useless.. they couldnt plan a piss up in a brewrey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I wonder how much of the blame can be shouldered by TII? They are supposed to be focused equally on roads and public transport infra. They are involved in Bus Connects projects in other cities after all. It leads me to believe that they’re Client-led and the client, GCC, didn’t ask for any public transport element.

On factories, this is exactly my point re: roads =/= cars alone, (and how we should examine culling cars at the ownership/usage end, but that’s a digression). I was examining beginning a place of production in Galway, and thought about setting up West of the river. Not just West Galway, but Connemara.

It’s a non starter. Why would you put yourself at the mercy of a city & its permaconflict when you can set up in Shannon with easy access to Road, Air, and a short ride to Rail in the city when it opens up & Sea via the tunnel? And the thing is, there’s no escaping it West. All the way to Clifden & beyond, I could be offered the sun moon & stars from any of the towns that way & by the State to set up out there, but if I can’t get my product out to nodes East then what’s the point?

An example of what I’m talking about.

On schools, I wonder how many of the historical ones were set up as boarding schools?

HID moved because it wanted to expand but couldn't get the staff to come out to Baile na hAbhann, not because they couldn't get their product out.

If the lack of a ring road was a factor why on earth would they set up in Mervue instead?

In fairness, he makes a reasonable point that the difficulty getting to West County Galway is a likely economic deterrent in that region. Perhaps the reason people won't live / work there is due to its inaccessibility.

Sure. But it isn't the reason for the proposed ring road.

It's a remote part of the county and the R336 could do with an upgrade but the remoteness and dispersed population won't be solved by either road proposal.

Banning one off housing and concentrating population growth in villages might generate some sustainable growth attractive to workers and families, making it more accessible for people to commute to or from Galway is just extending sprawl and traffic.

I'll have to read the development plan to see what came of the housing cap proposal.

Yeah the main reason they are pushing this road is to bring cars directly into industrial estates. They may have more success if they pushed the West County Galway angle.

I'm from East Galway and have never been to Connemara. I've been to Clare lots of times on holiday as it's easier get to. The only time I've been out that way was to go to the Aran Islands. I missed the last ferry of the day as I sat in traffic for an hour trying to get through city centre Galway - the only way to travel to West Galway...

On the remoteness of Connemara, it’s not remote, just cut off by water, mountains and the city from the rest of the country.

The 3% argument says that there’s too few in Connemara to justify the road.

I wonder if part of the national anti road movement’s attention to Galway is with the goal of preserving this natural depopulation? Could it be a case that without the road, Connemara is a viable place to settle for fewer people, so there’s less population growth ergo less traffic.

A chicken and egg scenario. “Do we stop the road to prevent popultion growth, or does the lack of popultion growth stop the road?”

Depopulation?

Where?

Population projection for 2040 is 120,000 I believe. Good luck increasing the population by 50% if you want to let them all drive cars

national anti road movement

Honestly, would you feck off with your trolling nonsense!

• Advertisement

Hah! Good luck reducing congestion more like. If the population is projected to grow that much, it surely backs up the argument for the road?

First and foremost though, public transport. Only public transport can support such a large population increase.

I think seaslacker specifically meant population in West County Galway which is certainly not growing at the same national or city rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement