Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Right..........

Anyway, back on more solid footing, ABP does have a path to approving this, which is to say that the government is in charge of making sure that we hit the targets, and not ABP. If the government wants to build this road, then it's ultimately a political decision, and ABP will merely point to the fact that they took consideration of the CAP, while leaving it to the government to explain how this will fit in with what they've said on climate. I think it's around 50/50 myself, ABP may just point at CAP and shoot it down, which would actually be less hassle for them in the long term.

Of course, the legal side is completely different, and honestly there's no real predicting how the courts will rule on this. On the one side, courts usually defer to the government on what could be construed as a policy decision, and on the other side is the fact that the courts have already ruled against the government over the fact that CAP was too weak. Entirely possible that the courts throw this out once again on the fact that the government have no detailed explanation as to how they will get additional emissions from this under control. On this, I think there's a less than 5% chance this survives the courts in it's current guise.

And before anyone tries to drag me into some weird conspiracy and accuse me of being a leader of the Vegetable Illuminati, I have consistently pointed out the only way I believe this road will be built, which is to tie it to traffic reduction, active and public transport plans in the city and surrounding area. One big master plan, all at once going into ABP. I'd fully support such a plan, as would many currently against it on here.

When the plan last went into ABP, I said it would be be shot down in the courts, and I was right (along with many others on here, you didn't need to be Nostradamus to see it coming.). This time around, I really think that they are wasting their time on it. The odds of getting through unscathed are minimal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Norteno do not post on this thread again.

I already said discuss the topic not the poster.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

..... the Vegetable Illuminati, I have consistently pointed out the only way I believe this road will be built, which is to tie it to traffic reduction, active and public transport plans in the city and surrounding area. One big master plan, all at once going into ABP. I'd fully support such a plan, as would many currently against it on here.

Am with you on that.

That has been the great weakness of the GCRR and GTS 2016.

The modal share for Public Transport and Cycling are in the low single digits in 2039 post GCRR based on the active and public transport plans in the city and surrounding area.

Local politicians getting their (opposing) views out on the RR

O'Cuiv honestly sounds like a 1960's transport planner lol "more roads will fix everything because if we build more roads then more roads fix everything until we need more roads"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If there was a public vote in the morning in Galway, the overwhelming majority would support a RR.

The Galway CC are beyond useless. Traffic is worse than ever. No alternatives in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If there was a public vote in the morning in Galway, the overwhelming majority would support a RR.

Because they've been led to believe that it will solve Galway's transport problems by populist snake oil politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Or people want to get from A to B in a timely manner.

The snake oil salesmen are now selling us an idea of GLUAS it seems...

People can smell spoofers a mile away.

Or people want to get from A to B in a timely manner.

That's only natural but when they being told that this will give them that when the reality is that with the new road and pretty much sweet FA else, traffic is more likely to become worse.

As for EOC, he is a member of government with the power to make immediate changes that can help benefit Galway. But has he attempted to ringfence funds for any transport improvements for Galway e.g. Gluas? Has he actively pushed the councils for more AT projects and chased the councils when these projects weren't rolled out in a timely manner? Has he f***!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Also important to note that only one of those politicians managed to get elected at the last election

Is Eamon O Cuiv a resident of Connemara? If so it’s completely understandable he’d support a project to improve access to that area rather than a Luas

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, Galway City Council will, along with all councils, go to the Polls next May, and they can vote them in or kick them out.

We await their choice,

• Advertisement

O O'Cuiv was put out to pasture after his stunt up north and hasn't been listened to since by anyone in his own party let alone govt. It's only his ancestor that saved him from getting the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Based in North Connemara, Corr na Mona; Id hazard a guess- but he is probably only person there who is going beyond Galway City on a regular basis.Getting the N59 road in North Connemara would "benefit" far more of his "heartland" areas

Taoiseach reaffirms commitment to the new road.

At the rate this is caught in planning and legal challenges there will likely be a new MoT by the time there is a decision to be made at Government level on this.

Taoiseach reaffirms commitment to the new road.

He didn't really. He expressed hope that PP would be granted next year. Pretty much along what he said is personal opinion rather than him speaking official policy on b3half of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's kind of irrelevant anyway, it's not the government that made a balls of it the previous two times they put stupid things to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

The moycullen bypass is a great success and it's early days, the natural follow on is the outer bypass, when it's completed work on the public transport within the city, it's too late at this stage to concentrate on public transport solely as a solution Galway is too big, our national population is growing at a rate that we are not keeping up with. We can stick our heads in the sand like the greens but the reality is more housing and infrastructure is needed. The greens want us to embrace the immigrants that are coming in droves but dont want to provide the infrastructure for an issue that is only going to increase. Build the bypass

Post edited by Green Peter on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

No, it was a load of nonsense (too late to fix Galway's traffic, so let's not even try?) all wrapped up in a bit of good old fashioned racism and knee-jerk green-bashing.

For bonus irony, dude posted this on Christmas Day too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I'm not an expert but my best guess is that the ring road is just part of the solution, along with public transport investment in buses, double tracking of the rail line to Oranmore or Athenry.

Housing development should be encouraged along this rail line with 3 or 4 stations instead of the current sprawl on the west of the city.

Most of the jobs are east of the city so housing should be encouraged there.

Lads decorum please it's Christmas.

I've already said if ye can't be civil and debate the post and not the poster I will close this thread again.

Bad night last night?

I don't think I ever claimed to be tolerant, and I'm definitely not the one who brought immigrants into a discussion of a ring-road.

The argument he made was that it's "too late" to try fix Galway's traffic using public transport improvements, so we have to build this road, and then more houses off it. So, how will the people on those new houses get around the city? Yep, they'll clog up the brand new road... because there was no other option for them, because nothing was done about PT until the road was done, because it's too late for buses. That's why I described it as nonsense. Whatever eventually happens with the road, the public transport needs to be done first.

But that's only what I think. I don't expect anything I write here to be taken as Gospel by anyone. I've been wrong lots of times before, and it'll happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Galway outer ring road is a decade away, so Galway needs to sort its traffic problems without it.

It could start be improving its woeful PT, and restricting parking for cars in the city centre. Putting Park and Ride at strategic places with frequent support buses would help. A Luas tram service that supports the P&R would be better.

Knocking the Green Party for woeful local government is not very clever. It was not the GP that prevented a cycle lane in Salthill because it remove car parking places.

Look locally for your solution to local problems.

Apology accepted Kris. Both the ring road and public transport could be developed to make Galway City and environs a better place to live as our population increases. The Galway of the 1980's and 1990s is gone, it's like having a child and not wanting it to grow up. You need to let go. Hold on to that racism card until you really need to play it.

Post edited by Green Peter on

I guess that's the final word on things or I'll get banned for having an alternative view. If it takes 10 years so be it, common sense will prevail eventually, it's the additional cost we incur due to delays that will be the wasted opportunity to do something with it for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You’re surely not suggesting that the cycle lane in Salthill would have done something to improve traffic? It would only have made a bad situation worse.

It is the parking that is bad.

Replacing parking with a cycle lane does not make the traffic worse. The cars are not moving, and merely reduce the road space for traffic. A cycle lane moves cycles out of the way of regular traffic, so improving traffic flow..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Rubbish. The prom will still needs to be accessed. People will still park but will just park elsewhere. All that is achieved is to move the parked cars elsewhere and to make access to the prom more difficult for the +99% who don’t cycle or are not within walking distance. You know this to be true but the cult thinking won’t allow you to admit it.

l have no emotional attachment towards Galway whatsoever. I've been there maybe ten times in my life, never before 2000, and every damn time, I've been stuck in traffic: for what is basically a jumped-up town, it's absolutely ridiculous how many cars there are in the road. The place is a mess, and now its planners are trying to repeat the mistakes of Dublin and Cork.

.. and "immigrants arriving in droves" doesn't sound even a tiny bit racist to you? I can remember the Daily Mail saying the same about Irish people in the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I don’t have figures to hand but I suspect the numbers driving in Galway is not 99%. It’s a lazy assumption to make that everyone drives but it’s not always true. It’s definitely the vast majority but not 99%.

The second lazy assumption is that active transport infrastructure only serves the existing pedestrians and cyclists. Good infrastructure will encourage more people to walk and cycle. Good infrastructure opens mobility options to people who can’t drive beside of heath or money. The more people who can walk or cycle means fewer people driving. This is why active transport helps reduce congestion - you shouldn’t just look at a cycle lane or widened footpath as something stealing your road.

The third assumption is that everyone who drives does so because they must drive, because they had no other options. That may be true for some but there are always lazy people who will drive very short distances. Removing some parking can discourage those people from making those trips by car, freeing up more road space for others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement