Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Nobody, especially me, is trying to downplay the NZ tour win

but to be in the discussion as the greatest ever Irish coach’s he needs to win more trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

True, but in my opinion, that was a huge achievement. Australia and sa in the autumn too. Load of new players brought in, different, exciting style of play...he's doing grand.

Plus we won at a canter yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The point is, the mitigation, 50/50's, over-the-long-run applies to those players too, and I can't remember them (or any other player) conceding 6+ penalties under Farrell.

When is the last time any Irish player conceded 6 penalties in a game? I wouldn't be surprised if it was pre-Schmidt, given our discipline under him. That's worthy of discussion and, imo, amounts to more than "getting it slightly wrong".

Any player who concedes 6 penalties in a game (and 4 within ~10 mins) is probably lucky to avoid a yellow card. It's ok to acknowledge that without trying to reason it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Some concerns about Porter's scrummaging being mentioned elsewhere. As in, his setup, and it being poor technique. I won't profess to know much about front row antics but I wonder about it. I think the French will target him.

Big test for lots of reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was looking forward to what he can achieve, you're just looking back. I acknowledged he hasn't the same number of trophies (yet) as Joe has but I think he can get us winning trophies again and there's very few rugby people that would discount our wins down in NZ and our autumn wins against SA & Australia.

• Advertisement

I didn't discount the win's. I am just saying to be the best coach ever he needs to win a 6 nations and in reality a Grand Slam. Multiple to pass Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well you did say he won nothing

Look I'm not trying to convince anyone of what I think about Farrell nor am I trying to take away from Joe's achievements but I think Farrell will take us further in a RWC than we've ever been before.

I said he won nothing in regards to trophies, which I then back tracked and said he won a triple crown which I had forgot.

If Farrell gets further in WC that will be great, better if he wins it and gets another trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

So hold on, if he somehow won the RWC with us there'd still be a question in your mind? Going by the last sentance, thats how it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You're not wrong (TC aside which you've subsequently acknowledged).

One thing Farrell has to contend with that Joe didn't have to, and that's an exceptional French team. That makes winning a 6Ns and silverware that bit harder.

• Advertisement

To win a Grand Slam or a 6 nations is incredibly hard. I don't see why we should say winning in one season might be better than another.

You could argue, which I am not, that Joe Grand Slam was better because he won against England and France away.

I am a huge fan of Farrells and even when a lot of people called for his head I wanted him to stay on, I will admit I did question Catt and felt he wasn't up to it but I was wrong. Let's hope he goes on to be so good it's not a question who is the best Irish coach ever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

His technique was was poor last year, and he seemed to struggle to counter the opposition going in at him. Hoping he's come on this season, he did well against what was a good front row at club level.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He needs his flanker to keep his hips pushed in and square, but very difficult to do with porter cos he had a huge hoop

No, there are ways to compare the difficulty across seasons. World Rankings is an easy way. I know it can sometimes reflect if the southern hemisphere nations are in a bit of a lull at the moment, but comparing the last four Irish 6 Nations Championship victories, the average world ranking is highest (lowest) in this season's championship than any other, so, relatively, it's a harder tournament to win this season:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Porter should have given away multiple penalties in the scrum on top of the one he gave away. On the 66th minute he got absolutely folded.

If you see the aerial shots before the scrums set, (when they're shown) he's never bound straight.

It's not costing us games as the refs seem to be letting it go, but it's a vulnerability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think you need to weight this somehow. We all know that the relative strength of Italy from year to year is almost irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

James Ryan has been in excellent form for a while now. His work in the tight and at the lineout has been excellent. One area that he has clearly worked on is his carrying. He's powering through tackles again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd say Farrell has done well. The jury is still out. Schmidt did well in his time. Comparing them is difficult. Farrell inherited a broken squad that was mentally weak after a woeful world cup. I'll always remember the last world cup and how shockingly crap we were. At the time Schmidt was receiving plaudits from everyone and imo, the world cup showed his weaknesses as a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

His weakness was showing all year before the world Cup and then resulted in the mess at the world Cup. Joe was brilliant and got Ireland where he wanted them, problem was others reacted and we stopped evolving and teams had us worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Blade (not Doak), Milne (not Whycherly or O'Sullivan), and Salanoa officially added to squad - Stewart kept on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭durthacht

Surprised by these choices, but I guess the positions so far down the depth chart are not set. Thought Wycherley would be called up ahead of Milne, although both are unproven yet. Dubinusa must be excited being a big fan of Milne.

Big blows ahead of next week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Milne is absolutely nowhere near international level at the scrum.EOS has at least been in the group before. Has he not been playing regularly or well?

I presume Jack McGrath has retired but I didn't see any official confirmation anywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He was let go last summer by Ulster needing another major hip operation.

He is independently doing rehabilitation with the aim of returning to rugby. There's been some videos of gym sessions on his instagram but nothing substantive since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Watched the game again last night. Jaypers Ryan had a massive game. Doris is a freak though. He never seemed to be off the screen. Was involved in everything.

I thought McCloskey did ok but I think he's going to have to show more than that to keep the jersey. I actually think he's going to find himself out of the 23 this week but maybe that would be harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

Jack McGrath was released by Ulster and is recovering from Injury before looking for a new club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

It feels like a never ending cycle of furlong been close to back to fitness each week but then not making it due to the calf issue, hopefully it’s nothing more serious and will come right soon. I’d imagine his calf’s would need to be right before throwing him back in to support that frame!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I thought McCloskey had a fine game. He had some nice moments in attack, one nice break and few looping wide passes. His passing is better than Akis imo. I'd leave Aki on the bench, his burst of energy can be crucial late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Ye look I think he went ok. I just don't think he was excellent either. I do think dropping him would be harsh but I just get the feeling the way Farrell was speaking about Aki in the press conference after the game, that he is going to come back in on Saturday.

I don't even think O'Sullivan would have realistically been in the conversation, I think he's been especially poor this season for big chunks of the year.

Both Milne and Wycherley seem to struggle scrummaging, but it's a real sign of our lack of depth at LHP that either are in the discussion here. Milne is definitely a more powerful carrier than Wycherley (who statistically might be the worst ball carrier in Irish rugby this season - he's carried for 7m this season from 25 carries - that's 0.3m per carry). Both have been on the bench for the last two rounds in Europe (getting similarish gametime in those games), and both went on the Emerging Ireland tour to SA, where you have to assume Milne showed the coaches more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Milne is not close to a call up, neither is Wycherly. They could be for the next cycle.

Advertisement