Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oh course you could, and I'm sure it's been done, but it's not Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.

It's something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Doesn't have to be - point is it can't not be done.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Usually when they do Shakespeare it's billed as "Director's Name's: Shakespeare's Play" because they all put a little twist on it and there are no surviving original scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It doesn't make any sense to transplant the hetrosexual characters with homosexuals. That would be like making Rose in Titanic a man, but you'd have to completely re-write the whole backstory to make it plausible, which would make it a completely different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Women and children in the lifeboats first. Then Rose and the other men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“Women and those who identify as women and children…” you wouldn’t get a single lifeboat boat away… 🥳

we all know wokeness is as great a load of old bôllocks as anything ever invented but in addition… it had been around in 1912… all 2224 people on the Titanic would have drifted to the bottom of the Atlantic…🤪

inclusivity 😟

People with a cervix to the life boats please.

How so? Fot me, the essence of the characters relarionship in Titanic was the difference in class not the genders or orientation.

Same with Romeo and Juliet: the defining obstacles were the warring families. They could easily be reversed or have their orientation changed and story would be the same.

In any case, I think most female roles were played by men in Shakespeare's day (open to correction: might have been false representation in a movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The fashion industry trying to tick all the diversity boxes in one go

See can ye spot the ringer.

mod

I think we need to remind ourselves of the mod note in the OP.

This thread is meant to be a harmless laugh but some of the comments I’ve seen have been frankly a disgrace.

I will be reading over the last few pages and any posters ignoring the mod instruction in the OP OR the charter/site rules will be sanctioned.

• Advertisement

Clearly the story wouldn't be the same because women were subjugated back in that era. Rose's problem was that she was a beautiful young women and that was her only role in life which led her to despair. Gay men have never had that problem, therefore the whole backstory of Titanic would have to be re-written. My point is you can't just transplant a gay man into a heterosexual story just like that.

This doesn't make any sense. If everything is beautiful then nothing is beautiful.

True. but that's not the major part of the story. It's Rose's rebelion against her legacy that drives her, not her gender. She contemplates jumping overboard at one point. If you wanted to use gender, making Rose and Jack both female would have done the trick (but probably not have sold as much tickets..._)

if you'd had a well-to-do sheltered male character and a female tearaway in the lower decks, you could still very easily tell the same story. Make them both gay, same story.

But make them both first class and wealthy then there'd be no conflict and no story (or at least a much less interesting one)

LATE EDIT - for the record, I'm not saying any movie could be changed - movies about sufferagettes for example - but only movies with gender identity sa a theme. Don't know Beckett well enough to say specifcially.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If one of my kids was going to that university I wold take them out.

Fooking grade A morons.

Western universities making rules about this type of shytology whilst universities in Asia actually turning out graduates that will make their countries world leaders in this century.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Surveys in Western cultures find, on average, that about 93% of men and 87% of women identify as completely heterosexual. That's today. I'd imagine in Becketts and Shakespeares day, it was a bit higher. So the plays were written to get the most butts on seats, and the overwhelming majority are heterosexual, so can relate and will attend. As a heterosexual, I wouldn't be interested in a LGBT remake because as I can't relate. Not that I'm interested in Shakespeare or Beckett anyway, but that's beside the point.

Most people won't relate to something different to them, even if they pretend they can. It's why the woke films/tv/anything is failing. Aside from being usually terribly written to ensure the wokeness is front and centre, or that it's a strong, independent, powerful [insert non-straight-white character here] that's the centre, not the story/world, they fail because not enough people will relate and, as a result, spend money.

That's just my thinking on it, based on nothing but my own thoughts. I can't relate to things that are not me; being gay, wanting to change sex, or any of the other things LGBT people experience. So it doesn't interest me. And I reckon most people are like that. I've no problem with LGBT characters, so long as they're part of the story and their sex/orientation not a highlight/main point. And yes, I also dislike hetero shows which concentrate on the love angle. I'm watching a movie about giant robots boxing kaiju, I have no time for love!

It's the 25th anniversary of Titanic and I read in the press a 4K version of the movie is being released on St. Valentines day.

I'd love to see a revised version where we see women, drag queens and non-binary people shovelling coal into the engines.

The masc men then could sit in the higher decks and sip on chamomile tea.

mod: this thread will not be allowed to continue if it’s being used as an excuse to bash LGBT folks.

I suggest you all drop it.

There was a rumour that Leslie Nielsen was doing a parody but never got round to it, so you nearly got your wish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Economics101

I started a threat on the latest woke (or plain stupid) reactions to great literature. The topic didn't take off, so maybe it will get some response here.

Even the supposedly censorious Ireland of the 20s to the 60s didn't censor Ulysses, unlike actions taken in the UK and US. Now along come these muppets. Large areas of the Humanities in the University world appear to have gone to the dogs, notably English, Sociollogy and Education, and also any department with "studies" in the title.

So a book that was banned 100 years ago when “woke” culture was not even a thing now it’s wrong to warn people who may be upset that the book contains offensive text?

I can never understand this sort of thinking. Having human feelings and emotions is not “woke”. If there’s text in the book that may upset some people they should be warned and they now have the choice to proceed or leave it down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Maybe people should stop being offended so **** easily

Is there text in the book that people might get offended by? Who decides what's offensive? Are they right?

One of the major benefits of reading is to expose yourself to different views, opinions, ideas, cultures, and so forth. If you're going to restrict yourself to books that have certain approval checks, then your mind is going to be correspondingly closed.

You don't have to like the book. (I've never read Ulysses and have no intention of doing so). But this idea that books should have trigger warnings on the cover is positively Orwellian. The party will tell you what to read and what to think about it, eh?

Trigger warning - this post contains the word "****". Don't be offended. Just get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Economics101

But Ulysses wasn't banned, even in "repressive Catholic Ireland" as some might put it. There were attempts to ban it in the US and the UK, but the courts unbanned it in the US, and the consensus was that the UK exercise was faintly ridiculous.

Students of English literature at university ought to be able to read great works of literature without being "warned". Basically people ought to be treated as adults when it comes to University level studies. The woke nonsense is in danger of infantilising them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

People shouldn’t be told what’s in a book before they read it? How odd.

Get a grip mate. If the content can offend someone it should be made clear in the first instance.

I’m glad for you that you’ve never had an experience in your life that is so traumatic the mere thought of it, never mind reading about the subject, would send you into a state. But other people have lived such lives. Myself included.

So yes, I do appreciate when content that could upset me is labelled as such. I can then decide if I am willing to carry on or back out. Having feels does not make someone weak and in fact I find it’s the most weak people who have this thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭crusd

Maybe you could try re-writing a successful story still in copyright, changing one character from male to female and make a mint so?

Harriet Potter and the Philosophers Stone by Fr Tod Umptious would make a mint. Just tell JK Rowling's lawyers that "its not Harry Potter by JK Rowling"

Of course they should be told what's in a book. The blurb tells them. They can check online reviews such as Amazon and Goodreads. Or maybe maybe they got a recommendation from their friends.

Bizarre post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

I thought this thread was meant for posting 'Wokeisms of the day', not engaging in debates?

At least that's what people with moderator in their forum status told us previously.

PS I'm homosexual and I have not perceived a 'bashing' tone to this thread.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Congrats on ignoring the entire arguments both I and Economics101 put out for our case, and retreating to the stock "I'm offended/traumatised" line. I wonder could you try address the points raised?

How many warnings would books have to have if they had to cover every traumatic experience everyone had ever had in their collective lives?

I think your own sense of self-importance is drowning out any sort of rational view on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

People studying Ulysses in University should be told about its contents from their friends, yeah? Utter hogwash.

There’s not a reason in the world why students shouldn’t be fore-told about controversial or, yes I will use that word, triggering components to a book before it is introduced in a course.

Well, no reason bar placating the angry middle aged boomer types who pïss shït into their trousers at the thought of a “content advisory” warning. I can only imagine their hysterics at seeing an 18s sticker on a Goodfellas DVD case.

• Advertisement

I think your sense of faux outrage is leading to there being an discussion on the validity of a content warning placed on anything.

Is there anything else you’d like to be outraged about today?

How about epilepsy warnings?

Or allergy warnings? I think peanut allergy suffers should man up and eat them. It’s only a little peanut.

🙄

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement