Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

After giving up so many picks to get Wilson, now these ... where will Denver get better players from?

Payton will have to work wonders with what he has?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The big question mark is Wilson. There's gotta be a suspicion that Pete Carroll's offense made him look better than he actually is given what's transpired. You've got Wilson looking awful and Geno Smith who always looked awful now looking like a great QB.

If Payton can't get Wilson back to where he was in Seattle they are in big trouble for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah, that's a strong possibility.

And as this is a banter thread, I'll add Pete Carroll could probably win a game with Josh Johnson as QB :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

TB12 has retired again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yes Payton will have to work wonders whether he will is another story, but he is one of few coaches who will give Denver a chance to get back into the play-offs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Or else it'll be like the Patriots and we realise the HOF QB had an awful lot to do with making Saints competitive for all those years

How would that even be in doubt? When you have a QB of the level of Brees it's pretty clear he had a lot to do with the impressive numbers the offense put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's actually the 2023 1st, plus a 2024 2nd, but Denver get a 2024 3rd back.

• Advertisement

Aaron Rodgers is at Pebble Beach for the golf and he said this....

“I'm just going to say that the predominant team that we hear as we're walking is Raiders. A lot of Raider fans are encouraging me, a lot of 'Davante misses you' comments. We're having some fun with it”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Unfortunately the Aaron Rodgers annual soap drama continues in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

He's currently spending 4 days in a room with no light or external stimuli and hoping to gain enlightenment on his next career move. Yep. I genuinely hope he's taking the piss with this type of thing and laughing at reporters reporting this tripe but from previous ~opinions I'm not convinced.

I think the whole thing is just so like what happened with Brett Favre. A first round pick has been sitting on the bench in Green Bay for the same length of time.

If he goes to the Jets that'll be insane. Imagine if he went there for a year and then signs with the Vikings just like Favre did.

I saw that and had to check a few times if it was a parody news story

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

From the man himself he can wear adult dippers or there's a small toilet. No nightlight. Back to reality or lack there of as a Jets fan give me Carr over Rodgers unless we give little for Rodgers, he could be gone in a year if he arrives at all. Carr is in his prime, controversial opinion but I think there's an element that he doesn't get love around the league because of his older brother being a draft bust and the organisation he's being with for his career to date. You get more shots with a capable QB over say a 4 or 5 year contract rather than Rodgers. A playoff berth next year keeps Joe Douglas and particularly Bobbie Salah in a job to build on year 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Carr should have a ring already if he didn't break his leg in 2016, if the jets can get him for a fair price, and trade for a proven WR1 to work alongside Wilson, and draft a couple of decent o liners, I could see them in the playoffs.

Playoffs...Playoffs... They could win it all🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So with Vince Wilfork not making the hall this year I'm legit pissed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Same with Hester, who should have been first ballot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Disappointed Willis didn't make it too.

Really hate NFL awards. So incredibly subjective and yet they put so much importance on them. You don't see the same elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I'd be surprised if Willis got in tbf. Undoubtedly he was a HOF talent, but he retired early without winning anything.

Himself and Luke Keuchly will go down as the 2 best inside linebackers of the last 10 years, but both will struggle to get a jacket due to shorter careers and a lack of rings.

Zach Thomas as taken a looong time to get in, he's 5th all time in career tackles.

Wilfork deserved a nod too, but looking at the list of who got in it's hard to say who should have been left out in his place. I'm sure he'll get in in the near future.

Big Vince will get in by year five, I'm fully with you on Willis and Kuechly. They retired too young and they'll be punished for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

People should not under-estimate how bad Hackett was as a HC - he was probably top 5 worst ever. Jerry Rosburg showed what an adult in the job can do in two games. When he took over after Hackett was fired one of the first things that he did was fire Butch Barry - the OL coach - when Rosburg announced it at a team meeting then entire roster cheered. In those last two games Wilson actually looked a decent QB.

One thing that is clear from the season is that Wilson is not a pocket QB, no matter how much he wants to 'cook' - he needs a strong running game and a good OL to be effective. The Broncos were down to fourth-string players along the OL by the end of the season.

Payton is noted as a coach who builds O lines - that is his forte - and he is capable of designing an offence that maximises Wilson's skillset and will minimise his weaknesses. I do think that Wilson is capable of being a top ten QB under Payton. If it turns out that he has fallen off a cliff then the Broncos will dump him after next season.

A much bigger concern is who Payton will have as his DC. Evero should have stayed in Denver - he had a winning defence to work with and would have been a hot HC prospect after next season. Instead he behaved like a petulant child, blowing interviews by defending Hackett. Denver does seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel by interviewing Vance Joseph. Rex Ryan is apparently the front-runner - the big question if he gets the job is not his ability as a DC (he was one of the best ever) - but whether the game has passed him by in the 7 years he has been out of coaching. Messing up the DC hire could undermine everything that Payton is capable of doing with the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bit harsh on Evero. He is understandably loyal to Hackett given their history.

Denver DC role isn't really an attractive spot for Evero to stay or a new hire. As you said, the defense is good and performed well last year so any step back by them will be all blamed on the DC, while any improvement to the team at all will go to Payton. Over all Payton's years he hasn't been one to really develop too many successful HCs under him, which again doesnt make him a draw.

The Franchise tag pay for this year.

I can see the Giants and Raiders tagging Barkley and Jacobs at that money. Tight end and safety pretty friendly too. No issue at QB either.

Quarterback

$32,416,000

Linebacker

$20,926,000

Wide receiver

$19,743,000

Defensive end

$19,727,000

Defensive tackle

$18,937,000

Cornerback

$18,140,000

Offensive line

$18,244,000

Safety

$14,460,000

Tight end

$11,435,000

Running back

$10,091,000

Kicker/punter

$5,393,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

There is loyalty to Hackett and then there is stupidity - by most reports Evero bombed the HC interviews because of his defence of Hackett. When ask to stay by the Broncos he reacted like a petulant child. He will have to get over that stuff if he ever wants to be a HC.

Evero could have stayed and shown that what he did last year wasn't a one-hit-wonder - putting him in a prime position for a HC job after next season. he is basically starting over again in Carolina. If that defence takes a step back from what Wilks did with it (and Carolina wanted Wilks to stay) then that will have a bigger negative impact on Evero. By the way - all the credit for the defence should not go to Evero - Dom Capers and Bill Kollar had a major input into what was happening last season.

You are right - Payton has not fostered much in the way of a coaching tree - Payton is a product of the Bill Parcells school. There are two reasons for this - 1. few of the Parcells school have produced down the line coaches (BB is the prime example of how poorly his offspring have performed) - 2. more importantly for Payton, he had relatively little turnover of coaching staff during his time in New Orleans. Despite this some HCs have come out of his staff - Doug Marrone - Denis Allen (who I think is a good coach) - Dan Campbell, who looks like he could be a really good HC.

Payton will rise or fall with the decision on the DC - mess that up and no matter how good Payton does on offence, the Broncos will struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

$10mn for RB tag is a good price. If the Giants are smart they'll tag Barkley and give him a big year this year then let him go. Giving a massive contract to an injury prone RB as hes hitting his late 20s is surely at this stage accepted to be a bad idea.

• Advertisement

Derek Carr signs with the Saints, apparently 4 years $150 million. No idea how much is guaranteed, one site reporting $60 million.

Advertisement