Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Franco Harris the HOF RB of the Pittsburgh steelers and the player who scored the TD from the immaculate reception whose 50th anniversary is this Friday had died at the age of 72.

Any interview I’ve seen of his, he came across as a very nice guy who didn’t seem fed up with him being defined by one play. It’s a play that can be said launched a dynasty.

So the commanders are going back with Wentz at QB. I think eagle and colts fans can tell you why that most likely won’t end well.

And I see derek carr is being benched in Las Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Carr looks gone then. The window for them to find a trade is very narrow before a bunch more money becomes guaranteed - right after the Super Bowl.

Will be interesting whether they'll be able to find a partner in that small window, one that Carr will waive his no trade clause for. Might end up just getting cut.

Adams will then be in a weird spot having left to play for Carr (one reason he gave anyway).

Well his guaranteed money is finished but I didn’t think they’d go this way as I think he’s a good QB if he could have stability in coaching. I saw a stat that he’s head 7 HCs in 9 years or maybe it’s coordinators but bar a few that’s not a good situation to he in.

I also saw that Russell Wilson has his own office and his team have keys to the broncos facility. I’m sure Russell Wilson is a nice guy but it feels at times he’s as real as a false ceiling in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,324 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Carr has had seven head coaches. I agree that he's a decent QB with a good head on his shoulders and if he goes I'd expect to see him find a nice contract and starting job elsewhere.

Somebody mentioned Devante Adams earlier. Carr being there was a huge reason he signed with them, they are great friends and played together in college at Fresno State.

Imo this isn't the year to be drafting a QB either if that's the plan, and McDaniels has always been a believer of building through the draft.

Next year, '24, is a stacked QB class. The fact that Bryce Young is considered by most as the top QB in the '23 class says it all really. I don't think Young will be successful in the NFL. Personally the only one I'd consider in this class is Michael Penix.

You are basically giving up $4 million extra against the cap to keep Carr through '23. That's not a huge penalty.

• Advertisement

His guaranteed money isn't finished if they don't get rid of him quickly in the offseason. Like many contracts these days there are set points in the offseason where new guarantees kick in for the following year or even the years after in certain cases.

With Carr his 2023 salary and $7.5M of his 2024 salary become fully guaranteed three days after the Super Bowl.

Where are you getting $4m from?

If they trade or cut him before the new guarantees kick in it will cost them only around $6m, but if they keep Carr through '23 it is going to cost more than $40m. It isn't like their owner is cash rich to keep a QB on that salary if they don't see a future.

I must have it wrong. I understand they'll have to pay him for the season but the cap hit the season after is very small as far as I'm aware. I think they should pay him next season and then do whatever business they want to do after that. Maybe there's something that kicks in if he's there next year that I'm unaware of?

The reason I'm saying they should keep.him for another year is my opinion that drafting a QB in '23 is a bad move. I don't think Young or Stroud are worth the risk with high picks, they might work out but I think it's more unlikely than likely that they will. '24 is a great class, there's four guys in that class that I'd have above Stroud and Young and another four that I'd have at their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not sure on the cap but benching him feels like they want him healthy for a trade. Whether or not the go with a bridge QB or get a young QB this year is a different story. Carr hasn't had his best year but is unquestionably better than Stidham and has left the team to not be a distraction so isn't even on the bench. That isn't trying to put your best team on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Commanders could be a great fit for Carr (ownership issues aside). Two good WR's in McLaurin and Dotson, good RB group, a solid TE in Thomas and a potentially excellent defence.

• Advertisement

Yeah a good shout. If Brady retires the Bucs would be another nice landing spot. The Saints don't have anyone either, actually the whole NFC South could do with an upgrade at the position. Then you've got the Colts, the Texans and the Titans who could all do with signing someone.

There's lots of openings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

There is probably up to a dozen teams looking for a QB1 this offseason so Carr is pretty much guaranteed a starting job somewhere, he has a no trade clause so will have a lot of leverage and a big say on where he lands.

Jets are another team with a playoff roster but no QB1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Scary stuff as the incident looked fairly innocuous. I won't post the incident but widely available on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭amacca

Yeah....I thought it didn't look like that much of a collision/hit either.

Must be something serious underlying.....I hope it has a good ending like Eriksen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭nerd69

Next years class is always the best class i years i find

Well I said last year wasn't a great class. I've said many times that I don't fancy anybody from the next year. I've like one QB who wasn't ranked in the top three on occasion and I've been right and wrong in those. I've more often than not said that the top picks shouldn't be taken so high and I've been right more than wrong on those comments.

I didn't think Mahomes would make it because I thought he wouldn't get away with chances he took in college and I was way wrong on that one.

The last QB I was absolutely certain about was Andrew Luck. Caleb Williams is better than Andrew Luck. There's four or five NFL starters in the 2024 class.

Next year's class is now this year's class. I don't like Bryce Young. Stroud is a quandary to me, lots to like but also plenty of question marks.

I do like Malik Cunningham a lot.

Post edited by eagle eye on

It is nearly impossible to punt even if you're right and the next season class is better.

Even if you think there are 3 better QBs in the draft coming up the following year, you are hoping your team is worse than 3 QB needy teams or that you are willing to pay more than them.

When there is a unicorn prospect like it is looking like next year there is basically no hope of getting them unless you actively tank, as one bad team is bound to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭nerd69

Which always sucks for the prospect a bit i think. Andrew lucks career was ruined by the colts

Just when you mention Andrew Luck I don't think I ever linked this article about him which is a good read.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Where's the best place(bar) in ireland to watch the superbowl,I fancy watching it with some fellow enthusiasts this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Camden has been our go-to the past few years. Tried a few at this stage. Paddy Cullens is closer to temple Bar so always attracts a few yanks from local hostels. I did the "official" party from the Dublin teams one year, all the tables were reserved for friends and families of the teams, most of who arrived at 11 and were gone by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We're running out ways for defenders to tackle QBs at this point. Every time you touch them you risk a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭boccy23

Complete BS call. I know I'm biased, but still....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

I had been hoping for overtime as it seemed fair and an interesting end for a neutral but after that call I didn't want it changing the game.

I am really curious what the official thought they saw. Did they think Cousins was slammed down as I can see similarities to the motion that concussed Tua? Did the head contact look more severe from their point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭boccy23

To some extent, I would hope it was the latter. Because if it was the former, then the game is dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm not biased, it was a BS call.

There's been a few cases this year where the defender plays it safe ad pulls out of the tackle, only for the QB to fake the pass and run away with the ball. It's ruining the game.

Players are now going down very easily looking for a flag. I'd love to see them bring in a rule to try prevent that. It'd be awesome to see a 15 yarder against a player for diving.

Ran Carthon hired as the Titans new GM. Results in the 49ers get a 3rd additional 3rd round comp pick in the upcoming draft for a diversity hire.

Fingers crossed DeMeco Ryans holds out another year from becoming a HC to keep some coaching consistency but also save the additional comp pick (would only get 1 additional pick now if he goes this year).

Whoever is hiring and firing for the Texans must be brainless. You fire a very experienced defensive minded head coach and then go hire a guy who had one year as DC of a stacked defense which was coached by Saleh for three or four seasons.

If they hired an inexperienced offensive minded coach you could understand them taking a different direction but what they've done is just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Sean Payton is back as Denver HC. Saints get Denver's 2023 1st round pick at 29 and 2024 2nd round pick and aswell as an unspecified future 3rd round pick. The Waltons must be throwing him some wad of cash to turn this Denver offense and Russell Wilson around

Advertisement