Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Could be a PR person answered him and was wrong I wonder?

It'll come out in due course anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A PR person talking bollocks about Irish Whiskey??

Never! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

😂!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks for that, luckily we're travelling tomorrow and Sunday so (hopefully) we'll be ok

Cheers, £67 online in Gatwick! Don't have any Ardbeg in at the moment either, so that would be perfect

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just be aware that the duty-free allowance on the way back is just 1 litre of spirits per adult (it's four litres going the other way).

While you're unlikely to be stopped, it's always a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I've a mate who used to work customs at the airport. People bringing back slightly over your allowance isn't really a big concern of theirs.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, that's what I'd expect. Once you're not taking the proverbial, should be grand.

Last time I came back through the airport I'd ditched the boxes so the duty free bag didn't look as big. 😂

IDL have confirmed to me by email that the Power's Irish Rye is 100% rye.

"We are happy to confirm that Powers Irish Rye is made exclusively with rye, and that this rye is also 100% Irish."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This must be why they're building a new distillery: the old one got completely gummed up and they have to throw it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Last time I walked right through with two bottles in a clear bag. I didn't realise the limit was so low until afterwards 😋

Thanks for that. That's now very interesting

Can't wait to try this now! Might have to do a tasting comparison against some US straight ryes...

Me too. This is, without doubt, the most innovative Irish whiskey release to date. There is, literally, none other like it before.

I would have expected a release like this to come under the Method and Madness brand. Seems that IDL aren't as conservative as I thought. I'm seriously impressed that they are doing this.

It's a bit bonkers! I would have thought them brave if they tipped past 50% rye at all. That would have been enough to impress the US market.

In a change of subject...

Recently I finished a Talisker 10 (new label) and felt it had taken something of a downturn compared to my memory of this stellar classic. It just seemed a bit off, overly sweet. I opened a 1L bottle of Talisker 10 (with an old label) this week... Now this is the whisky I remember! No comparison. If I hadn't had the new label bottle so recently then I would say it was simply my dodgy tastebuds, but with it being so recent I'm convinced there is a tangible difference. Maybe the 1L old label bottle has been hanging around for several years. Hmm.

I've heard talk of Talisker 10 going downhill for some years now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I thought the same about Talisker. Feel like the newer label bottle is a bit underwhelming. Maybe just a bad run of batches?

Do single malt age statement batches change in a 5 year period or so? Genuine question. We know that modern whisky expressions taste different to vintage versions of the same whisky... Laphroaig 10 is often cited, there are others. But how quickly do they change?

With blends I had assumed change can happen more rapidly, as we know the likes of Johnny Walker actively change recipes at times (Green Label is an example I think).

Theoretically, the could change continously. Tweaks to the mash bill, tweaks to the cuts, a different yeast, faster/slower ferment etc. etc.

Then the barrels can change or how many times they are used can change.

There are so many variables and market shifts, really. It would be almost more surprising if these whiskies didn't change over time.

It could happen gradually or really quickly from batch to batch or anything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

I actually meant to comment on the exact same thing with Talisker 10. I've been buying 1 or 2 for the past few Christmasses when the €30 deals were on. I still have two of the older bottlings but opened the new label this year and thought it was poor. Some of it ended up in hot whiskeys.

Also noticed the old label going for €80 on IWA recently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

To add a level of nonsense to the powers rye conversation. I wonder if the powers is a mix of malted and unmalted rye? When they haven't specified on the label. In the style of pot still. I imagine it's all malted, for the reasons mentioned above in terms of mash

Ended up bringing two bottles of Ardbeg Smoketrails, an Ardbeg Uigeadail, as Corryvreckan wasn't available, and a Lagavulin 16.

Gatwick have a smaller whiskey shop opposite Harrods, with some stuff they don't have in the normal duty free. They also let you try most of what they have, so I was able to try Uigeadail and Corryvreckan side by side. Glad I preferred the Uigeadail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Not feeling 100% but it was my birthday yesterday and have a tradition of opening a new bottle every year.

Opened an Edradour 10 year old by Signatory Vintage. Picked it up for £50 (I think) in London last year. Nose seemed pleasant enough but I'm a little bunged up that I could only really tell that there's a nice whack of sherry off it :). Taste of dark fruits and Christmas cake I think. Think I will like this one. Looking forward to trying it when feeling better.

Probably one I'll be taking the odd taste of but saving a good chunk for the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone know anything about Kinnitty Castle whiskey?

I had a voucher for a local offie and they had the blend and a 10 year old, in the €40 - €55 price range.

https://kinnittycastlespirits.com/irish-whiskey/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sourced whisky aimed at the US.

"THE TEAM

The Kinnitty Castle Spirits team is led by Colin Breen and Bryan Bean, US Army veterans devoted to their Irish heritage. Colin, owner of Four Green Fields Irish Pub, has been a catalyst for the preservation of Irish culture in the US through his association with legendary musicians and commitment to organizing educational events. Bryan established the first Irish-American Veterans chapter in the US, which proudly hosts events celebrating Irish culture and honoring service men and women.

The Kinnitty Castle Spirits team is dedicated to supporting veterans and first responders worldwide! Contact us to learn how we can leverage Kinnitty Castle Spirits and Kinnitty Castle Hotel to support your benevolent organization or event."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Anyone tried this? Will it be an appreciating classic or no?

Tempted

Tempted to buy it to drink or to invest? Doubt there's any value investing in it myself.

Went into a quiet bar in Dublin on Saturday evening, after a meal out - wasn't looking for pints, I was after a couple of whiskies to finish the evening.

I don't own, nor have I tasted a lot of Irish in the past.

First I had a Yellow Spot, and thought it was lovely. Definitely intend on getting a few more of these.

Then I had a Jameson Black Barrell. My only previous with anything Jameson is the standard bottle, and I don't like it. This was nice, but perhaps a bit too sweet for me to consider buying a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Distilled on Nassau Street have a top shelf whiskey on offer, under what they call their 'break even project'.

If you're about town again e.g. at the moment.

W.D. O’Connell PX 20 Year Old Single Cask

This single malt is limited to just 300 bottles marking the end of their first series of PX releases.

Aged 17 years in first full ex-bourbon casks, Then matured in ex Pedro Ximénez Sherry Casks. Break Even Project price €6.50

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

yeah I've seen Distilled on the socials, I'm yet to go in.

I almost never drink spirits when I'm "out" though

The bar we went to was a favourite of ours, and we like going there after we've been out for a meal - Cafe/Bar 1920 on Westmoreland Street, it's never mad busy, or loud, and they have some nice whiskies, I wish they had more scotch, but I kind of like that I'm "forced" to order something I might not ordinarily get.

Advertisement