Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A small Irish please...

It is only 3 minutes long but this RTE documentary excerpt from the 1960s feels like a lecture! Just let the man have his drink.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/1221/755419-hair-of-the-dog/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Re the Saturday daytime whisky live... That's the one I went to last year. I might go again, not sure. It's not bad value but was weird tasting whisky at 11 or 12 (I went to a pre opening masterclass).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Any whiskey experts care to help me out here.

Came across a bottle of Midleton Very Rare 2003, in a friend's drink collection, untouched - in box with certs etc. They are tidying out a family members house and this was located.

Online I see prices from €700 to €2,500. Is that the ball park for such a bottle?

Image of the actual bottle attached for reference.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Trying a sample of Glenburgie 10yo from Gordon & MacPhail tonight. https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/glenburgie-10-year-old-single-malt

Nice smell of raisin, raspberry, chocolate (like Cadbury’s fruit and nut). No ethanol notes. As the glass empties the chocolate notes get stronger. It is quite lovely. The initial taste was very watery, so much so that I had to check whether I had added water. I like it a lot even though there are no standout qualities that would make you sit up and say “that’s new”. It is a straight-forward nice tasting whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

I haven't got tickets yet, but I reckon me and a mate will try to go to one of the evening sessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Looks in very good shape which always helps.

If it was auctioned today I'd expect it to fetch anywhere from €1500 to €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Thank you and @kuang1 for the feedback. Over the last 2 years or so auctions for such bottles go from €1,350 to one going for €3,900 (which looks insane high compared to others similar bottles).

Thanks again. I remember stocking an odd bottle or 2 in an off licence 15/16 years ago and the price was circa €300 if I remember correctly. So wasn't sure what I was seeing online was correct for the current range of prices.

I'll get it put away safely and not with the rest of the spirit bottles incase someone takes a notion some night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Currently Enjoying a Powers Three Swallows by the fire. At the moment on offer, it's the best value Irish Single Pot for the money without a doubt.

Anyone anything lined up for tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Opened a few new whisk(e)ys over the past month

Paddy's Share - this is nice. Dried fruit and raisin and doesn't feel at all like 47%. A step up on the normal Paddy. I don't think I'd ever pay 45-50 for this but at €30 a few weeks back it was a no brainer.

Port Charlotte 10yo - picked this up in the UK earlier this year and brought home. really have to be in the mood for this, definitely not a summer whisky for me :) Heavily peated but more refined than say a Laphroaig. Citrus, maritime, herbal, smoked ham all present. I know Ralfy recently voted it his whisky of the year and while I wouldn't go that far it is very enjoyable.

Nikka from the barrel - haven't tried this yet. It's my wife's favourite whisky so she had two over Christmas. Had a bottle a few years ago and it didn't last to long so must have enjoyed it. Can't remember too much about it though!

Paul John Oloroso - I mentioned being disappointed by this on Christmas Day. I'll revise that opinion as I think Covid was still impacting my taste buds. This is lovely. Christmas in a glass!

Glasgow 1770 Summerton - Took a punt on this at auction to try something different. Safe to say I have finally found a whisky that I just can't get on with. On the nose there is an off putting smell of perfume/aftershave that I just can't shake. Decent mouthfeel and get a touch of apple crumble but on swallowing there's the aftershave again - yuck! Had to down some Port Charlotte to get the taste out of my mouth. It's worth pointing out that my wife nosed it and didn't get the same note. Just me unfortunately.

Was also gifted a Blue Spot and a Jameson Black Barrel Proof for Christmas so looking forward to trying these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was gifted the Blackwater Manifesto boxset

Unfortunately Christmas also brought me the winter vomiting bug so I haven't been able to touch it yet 🤢

I do think it was stupid money for the set (especially as my wife bought it, so it's basically come out of joint money 😋) but I am interested to try them

Opened a Laphroaig 10. Great value at a club card price in Tesco NI.

Good for the weather when it's like this...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Picked up a bottle of Famous Grouse Smoky Black for £14 in Morrisons. Unbelievable value for money at that price IMO.

Last drop before I go back to work. An old school scotch

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Snap! Got a litre bottle of this from a family member travelling homr from UK. Very spicy, like a Christmas cake type vibe.

Aye it was lovely. Spicy and heathery and barley-ish and there was definitely a wee bit of smoke in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

this is lovely - i don't have the same tasting terminology as ye, but i really liked this - heat and sweet in one sip. i've had it neat mostly, but also in whiskey mule. gone now, will buy again

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

Having a bulleit rye tonight. Got it cause I was curious about rye whiskey style and it was discounted in tesco. Really like it. There's a vibe of a budget Irish pot still off it for me. All green herbs, spicy. Nice to try. Definitely enjoyed it but I don't think I'd get it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

The Flu can definitely make enjoying whiskey a non event

Retronaut is a fabulous whiskey and was the sample tasting after a whiskey movie premier in Rathmines cinema a good few years ago (5 or 6?)

I was travelling to UK on ferry ( Sealink I think)and got what I believe is an unbeatable bargain . A two by one litre bottle travel special pack of Grace OMalley for 20 Sterling .I believe this works out at about €9 euro per 700ml equivalent value ! And it’s quite drinkable stuff , at least on a par with the Holy Quadrology ( Paddy,Powers ,Bushmills and Jameson)

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bought a bottle of Micil's new Madeira Whiskey. Same price point as Redbreast 12.

It's quite nice. Nothing spectacular, but I'm also not disappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I was down in The Hole In The Wall pub last night with a few friends

They have three whiskeys with the name McCaffrey on them, a Single Grain 5yo, Single Malt 4yo and a Blended 12yo

I asked the barman where they'd come from, and seemingly it's Bonac but I can only find Gin from that distellery, and they opened in 2016 so couldn't have a 12yo blend

Anyway, I started on the Single Malt and somehow ended up with 2 cubes of ice in it, I think I said yes to the barman without realising what he was asking me. I enjoyed it well enough, sweet Oloroso fairly prominent, and finshed with some oak and maybe ginger spiciness as it warmed and presumably diluted a bit from the ice (it's 46% in the bottle). I enjoyed it and wouldn't be averse to ordering another one as an after dinner dram next time I'm in the pub.

https://shop.holeinthewallpub.com/products/mccaffrey-irish-whiskey-single-malt

As I was getting the Single Malt the barman was chatting to me and was telling me he preferred the Single Grain so I said to him I'd get one next. No ice this time. Upon nosing, I was immediately overpowered by a nail polish solvent aroma that never left even as the whiskey opened up over a half hour in the glass. It's also got the sherry finish sweetness but the spices on the end are more like cloves and there was a definite kind of creamy toffee mouthfeel. Not sure I'd be back to this one.

https://shop.holeinthewallpub.com/products/mccaffrey-irish-whiskey

To finish the night, and for completeness I got a glass of the Blended 12 Year Old. Very full mouthfeel, almost syruppy or something. Intense flavours too, again the sweetness from the sherry front and centre with some spices to back it up - it was like a more intense version of the Single Grain, so I wonder what the blend actually is. The barman said to me "it's as good as a redbreast" and that people were pretty surprised at the quality when they were at Whiskey Live.

https://shop.holeinthewallpub.com/products/mccaffrey-irish-whiskey-blended

All in all, a decent enough spread, but I'd like to know more about the provenance

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Felt a little under the weather last night so had 2 generous hot whiskey's, made with Glenfiddich 12year old.

Am I going to hell? 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I don't think Glenfiddich 12 is all that special.

Hence the reason (on my severely limited knowledge of whiskies) that I used it.

If it's a use for something that's otherwise just hanging around, use away I say ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

New distillery and visitors centre for Balbriggan

"Planning for the development was lodged on behalf of Harvest Lodge Distilleries LTD and was approved this week by Fingal County Council."

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/new-whiskey-distillery-gets-green-light-for-north-dublin-creating-150-jobs-42269119.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Greetings from Stockholm....

Mackmyra does some great whisky, peated and unpeated.

An example of each here.

I opened the Rok and if you're a peated whisky fan you owe it to yourself to try this. Quite high phenols and a lingering smokiness but it's very distinctly Mackmyra, juniper notes and very clean flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Black Sheep I think I commented on Retronaut 17 whiskey on the previous page of this thread .It was sampled after a film premiere in Rathmines about whisky.I was chatting with a few people there including an older couple who said they had a son in Sweden(this could easily be 4-5 years ago)who was a whiskey lover ...I think they also mentioned they knew Pearse Lyons .That likely to be you ?!

No, not me! I was just visiting and since I was checking luggage I decided to buy a few bottles since I would be able to bring them home.

• Advertisement

Clarity need.

Fying back from UK, due to Brexit, were now allowed international allowances on spirits?

Advertisement