Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Give it another go on a day there's no soccer on 😂

My friend considers it one his top 3 of last year. I think it's grand, but would actually prefer a regular power's gold label over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Oh dear! I think, to be fair, something cask strength might have been more suitable to your sorry situation at the time.

Messing aside, I love Three Swallows. Its a big banana bomb but better as a wee gentle entry into your evening rather than a finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I love Three swallows too - but isn't that the beauty of life. We can't all like the same things.

@Electric Nitwit if you need to find a good home for your bottle, I know a place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I enjoyed it 2 years ago when I got a bottle on sale in Tesco, but a friend of mine was gifted a bottle last Christmas and had the same reaction as yourself. It's not for everyone, I guess!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't mind Three Swallows but I wouldn't make the effort to buy it over Gold Label.

Now the Powers 12 year old special reserve... There was a step up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ha ha, thanks all, I'll try it again tonight when I'm in a better frame of mind 😝

2023 MVR is out, if anyone's interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Isn't the 12yo special reserve discontinued?

Yes, that's the one I was talking about, it was a lovely whiskey, genuinely had a tropical fruit note to it.

I have a bottle of this with about 2 measures left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I have different ways of opening bottles to be honest. Sometimes I'll actually open the bottle shortly after I leave the shop, and have a wee nip!

Other times I'll have some bottles that I'll try the night I buy them, some I'll wait until the weekend, and some I'll wait for a special occasion.

I had a few bottles at work for a couple of years, unopened. Then when I had an office move late last year, I brought them home, and sampled them all that night.

• Advertisement

So, I got to try the Rye.

I liked it. I get what another poster said about it being sweet but I think it has a nice dry, spicy finish after a rather sweet middle.

I don't get the vanilla notes I'd usually associate with US whiskies, though.

I think it's a lovely drop at the price.

Would be a really good mixing whiskey, I'd say but I'll probably just enjoy sipping it straight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I sampled my Powers Rye last night before bed. I usually struggle to pick up on some of the flavours mentioned in the tasting notes, but, as someone mentioned on a previous page, these are fairly accurate! It was like a tiny Old Fashioned in my glass. Must try making a cocktail with it tonight.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do Laphroaig offer anything at a slightly higher price point than the 10 that is easily obtained? I love their 10, but wouldn't mind trying something else.

Or if not, any other bottle from another distiller that's a step up, but that's not mad money (let's say in the €100 range)?

There's a 10 Cask Strength which is what you'd expect, very nice. I haven't tried the Lore but that's up around 80 quid I think

My personal favourite from that neck of the woods is the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition, that's normally around €120 I think. £90 direct if you can get it delivered to anyone in the North...

Edit: hmmm, haven't got this year's and just read a review that puts me off a little...

"I’m wondering whether the Lagavulin Distillers Edition is moving away from its yearly release scheme. You see, the label used to have a mention like lgv 4/510 but since 2022 a new label was introduced and there’s no indication of the batch any more. Even the vintage (and confirmed age) have disappeared. That means it no longer qualifies as the ‘extra matured’ Lagavulin 16 Year Old."

"Quite a nice dram, I still consider myself a fan of this Distillers Edition. However the combination of a low strength, little information and a high price make it harder to recommend."

https://www.whiskynotes.be/2023/lagavulin/lagavulin-distillers-edition-2022/

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Cask strength and the Lore seem hard to find in Ireland? Not getting many hits on Google.

Ah, sorry. I get stuff delivered up north. If you know anyone there they're both available direct

This would probably be right up your street...

How about the Laphroaig Quarter Cask? A much more woody/leathery expression that isn't that much expensive that the 10s normal retail price as it's more in contact with the cask. Its a younger version (therefore peatier version with a higher abb (48%). First time I had it it was like drinking Laphroaig 10 in an old highland hunting lodge with wood paneled walls and leather furniture. As twee as that sounds i bloody loved it. One of my favourites and underrated!

Lore is what you want... A great NAS step up. The Px cask would be another option.

CWS used to have both but yes I see what you mean about availability.

Maybe they could order for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I swore off the peaty Scotch a few years ago.

Was over in Dundee on important company business. The Scot I was over visiting insisted we have a wee dram of some fancy scotch whisky. Thing smelt like my granny's turf fire.

Two of us finished off the bottle. < admin edit >

Never again. Will always stick to the cleaner triple distilled irish whiskey now.

Admin warning, Post edited.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Powers Gold Label is 25eur on clubcard price in Tesco at the moment, first time it's been reduced from 30 this year I think

• Advertisement

Was €23 with them only a few weeks back, but €25 still a very good price.

Definitely a spicier Old Fashioned than what I'm used to (Bulleit Bourbon) but in a nice way. Nice subtle notes of ginger.

Also had a little sip of MVR 2022 last night after all the talk on here about the new release. I don't think it's worth the hype, but it's lovely all the same.

Tried the Powers rye last night.

Certainly it passes the authenticity test as a rye on the nose... If I closed my eyes I think I could detect just a little bit of a something pointing to the origin still, but honestly if it was a blind test I could have thought this was from one of the newer small US outfits.

I'm rubbish at tasting notes, couldn't say I detected much of anything distinct, to me it's just dry and maybe a bit herbal... Pleasant. Feels very well put together, which I would expect from Powers.

In the mouth, even at 43%, it's a bit thin for being an optimum sipper for me, I prefer bourbon and rye to be big and chewy. The mouthfeel is a little light and the finish is quite short but not unpleasant.

This will make a great mixing rye however and I would love to see a higher ABV version of this or a further aged version.

If this does well in the US they will definitely capture further interest if they did a "hot" version at 59.9% ABV or whatever, or a 10 year old.

Personally I also like the 100% Irish contents element. I do admire that and it would be a factor in future purchase choices if I needed something for mixing.

Having a wee blissful comparative night cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Ah they were both great. Bunna 12 normal is one of my favourites. It was a lot brighter, zestier and saltier on the nose. The Cask Strength had a much more deep rich raisin smell to it.

To be honest they're both amazing but the finish on the cask strength goes on forever. Lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Tech_Head

Next Barrel Club drop

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Tech_Head

I logged in and checked the dashboard - was updated on Feb 23rd with details of the March delivery.

Grabbed the pic from their site too - https://www.barrelclubmidletondistillery.com/products/barrel-club-year-membership

Edit: Now on their own site.

Post edited by Tech_Head on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smurts

Presume its a bottle of 12 year old, with samples of the 14, 16 and 21.

Advertisement