Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

ha I came here to mention it, seems to be getting a push on the socials this morning with the Whiskey-writers.

I'd be interested in trying it, I like the Woodford Reserve Rye well enough.

And I love it in a sour.

the green on the label though, it's very weird. the colours on their other offerings are way more muted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭SteM

Agreed but I guess they're using it to make it pop out on a shelf differentiating it from their other releases.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Could be a way of aiming it at the American market (who presumably will gravitate to rye whiskey quicker than us Irish).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Fair play to them. At times the Irish whiskey market feels very staid, looking to the past more than the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is arguably the most "outside the box" release in Irish whiskey to date!

Who would have expected the first 100% Irish rye mash to be a Power's? (or from IDL)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Looking forward to trying! Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, Rye Whiskey I cry! If I don't get Rye Whiskey I surely will die.

Loving the green in the brilliant new re-design in the absolutely stunning perfectly shaped bottle too...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Stupid question...

Is that Irish, and 100% rye?

Is is the rye that is in it 100% Irish?

I admit I don't know what I'm talking about here, but I thought there was a minimum barley content to qualify for the name "Irish Whiskey"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I don't think a 100% rye whiskey would be possible in any distillery here in Ireland. The grain doesn't have any husk so it's notoriously hard to mash if you have a significant portion of it in your recipe. You'd need something like a mash filter that Whiplash brewery has to achieve it and I can't imagine any distillery here has bothered to invest in anything like that (could well be wrong though!).

• Advertisement

Brilliant, not as stupid a question as I thought 🤣

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

So it's not 100% rye, which seems misleading on the label to be honest. Looking forward to trying it though.

Irish whisky labels aren't famous for their transparency but I must admit I thought this was pretty clear - 100% Irish rye ... All of the rye being Irish.

This was never going to be 100% rye, that's still uncommon even in the U.S!

I can't see any reference anywhere to the amount of rye in there. Can't imagine it's up there with a Kentucky rye / so-called high rye / straight rye 51% - 100%... I just assume that wouldn't be practical for them.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

I don't know, I'd say a lot of buyers will read that as 100% rye and buy it for being "different". Most whiskey drinkers probably aren't the sort to chat about it on boards 😋

Also, it's not the first. A quick google search showed Kilbeggan claiming the first Irish rye a couple of years ago (https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2018/11/18/new-irish-whiskey-is-irelands-first-rye-based-whiskey/), though it doesn't say where the rye was sourced

Shortcross Rye Malt Irish Whiskey says it's "Created with a unique mash bill of 100% Irish malted rye and malted barley" (https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Shortcross-Rye-Malt-Irish-Whiskey)

And even the powers press release alludes to the historical use of rye

This sounds like I'm against it and I'm really not, it sounds interesting and I'm sure I'll try it, but the marketing seems quite deceitful to me

Yes, I've had the Kilbeggan. People say it's 30% rye, but I don't know how true that is.

Had a sample of Glenallachie 15 today, hot on the heels of the 12. As with so many 15s I can think of it probably doesn't mark enough of a step up to justify the extra spend I don't think. Maybe a shade extra depth but I think if I buy more it will be 8, 10 or more 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

I assume you're being sarcastic or do you really know that little about Irish whiskey? The industry is more active than it has been for years, the variety we're starting to see come from the new distilleries all over the island is only going to increase, with different distilling techniques, different mash bills, and barrels all in the mix and all offering something different - really looking forward to it.

I understand it to be a mash of 100% rye. No barley or other grains.

That's what I am basing my admiration on - it being an absolute first for Irish whiskey.

If this isn't the case, they are being extremely misleading.

Label says "100% Irish Rye Mash". This heavily suggests that only rye is used.

https://twitter.com/Bill_Linnane/status/1620412940380934146?t=ULiriZiU-lZ853s418fZMg&s=09

Post edited by the beer revolu on

With a few rare exceptions, this tends to be a friendly forum. There's no need to preface the fact that you take issue with my comment with a dig at how little you imagine I know about Irish whiskey.

Although I'm tempted to not bother responding, I'll say this: At times the Irish whiskey industry plays it safe and overly looks to historical legacies for inspiration in many cases. I find the whisky scene in other European countries to be more exciting, generally. It's OK to disagree on this point as, like many things in life, it's only a point of view...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Picked this up in the airport last week for about 65.

• Advertisement

If it's 100% rye that's bold, fair play to them. The US market will love it.

More significant than it all being Irish rye, for me anyway. Although I do appreciate that also.

Keenly priced too...

I’ve had the earlier one that Alex Chasko put down before moving to Teelings, and liked it. I’ve heard it’s changed since that though.

Absolutely, 100% Rye would really stand out. Not sure I'd love it, but I'll definitely buy one to try!

Flying to London this weekend (Gatwick specifically), is anyone aware of any duty free highlights or bargains from recent travels? I'll have a look online later, but just in case anyone was there recently and thought "you've got to get this..."

I’m heading to Gatwick this weekend too, but just planning on getting a couple of bottles of scotch on the way back. They should have a website with prices you can search.

There’s also a rail strike on Friday that’ll affect trains from Gatwick, and lesser disruptions early Saturday, just so you’re aware.

Seems to be a lot of confusion about it anyway.

Would they need an artificial enzyme if not using and malted barley in it?

Is there a technical file for this kind of whiskey?

I read it as a whiskey with some unspecified amount of rye in the mash, but of that unspecified amount 100% of it is Irish grown.

Enzymes are routinely used in Irish whiskey production anyway. It's all about the yeild!

I don't see anything in the technical file that would forbid a 100% rye mash.

I have asked them directly through a contact form so, we'll see what they come back with.

as the @irish_goat said above, a 100% rye mash would be incredibly sticky and hard to work - even when adding rye to beer mashes you can't go much higher than about 15% before running into even minor issues

I saw Arbeg's "Smoketrails" manzanilla finish for around 90 - definitely less than 100 - and didn't get it ... I saw what it's going for online already and nearly fell over! Seems to be 270 or so now, if you can get it.

I don't think they have everything online, it's always very varied in terms of what's value on the day IMO.

• Advertisement

Yes,thats true. But it is possible to make a 100% rye whiskey.

I'm going by the tweet I linked above where Bill said he asked what the mash bill was.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Advertisement