Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is WHS fit for purpose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

No

Don't even know what problems were trying to fix anymore.

What does it matter.

1. Potential 54 handicap. Just.......no. No. That's not golf. Not even close.

2. Potential to increase handicap within a year by 5 strokes. Jesus lads get off the stage. Excuse. "But I'm not competitive unless I've more shots" Go practice ffs you're not entitled to it just because.

3. Casual rounds counting for handicap. Yeah.............No. Casual rounds are for fun, gimmes, playing for a fiver, mulligans, enjoying the views, fresh air, dropping a ball down, holiday golf. I'll focus on Saturday thanks. Or Wednesday 9 hole singles. Otherwise I'm just out there after work relaxing. Don't want a card in me hand for that.

Tat all sounds like a rant. And ye know, in my club, generally, the winning score is much the same as always. I don't care for the majors or the medal or the whatever people deem to be worth winning. Every singles comp is the same for me. Unless it's a scratch cup among your peers, I might take that more seriously, mind you those days are long gone.

So WHS or Congu or whatever it was called before. Not one bit of sleep I'd be losing over the margins of either. Just enjoy the game for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes

The thing is, everyone doesn't play the same amount of golf. So for one person, 20 rounds could be over a year's worth and for someone else, barely a few months. There has to be a realistic common denominator that gets it as accurate as possible for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes

3. Casual rounds counting for handicap. Yeah.............No. Casual rounds are for fun, gimmes, playing for a fiver, mulligans, enjoying the views, fresh air, dropping a ball down, holiday golf. I'll focus on Saturday thanks. Or Wednesday 9 hole singles. Otherwise I'm just out there after work relaxing. Don't want a card in me hand for that.

Yes, but that's your choice to do that. For me, i want to be competitive all the time. I want to play counting rounds for my handicap everytime I go out, as long as i have a.) the time and b.) the playing partners to sign my card for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

No

Thought this was interesting and relevant to this discussion. Odds by handicap of shooting various scores.

Yes

So seves round from lastweek was a 1 in 37000 chance 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No

Na. That’s if I shot -10.

i shot -12 so more like 1 in a 100,000 kinda chance 🤣

Yes

Have you been buying up lottery tickets since? 🤣

Yes

One of the things that I hadn't thought about wrt casual counting rounds is that a lot of five day members put them in in our club. And that makes sense when most of the comps are at weekends.

No

Lol 🤣

• Advertisement

Yes

Quite a useful exercise to go through those against your own scores. I just did it on my 180 odd WHS scores and found that I was ~11 times under par net. All of them in the white zone on that table. That's 1 in 16 roughly (and I did a rough count, so could have missed a couple). And I didn't count 9 hole scores either. One thing I did note was that the majority of those scores were achieved on other courses from my home course. Which (although I know, correlation is not causation) might bear out the notion that slope ratings aren't that accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

No

That’s what it should be though. Otherwise it’s 20 rounds to cheat your way to a big prize

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

No

My WHS

Handicap Index 12.3 Low Index: 9.0

Membership Number:

Home Club: Tramore You are in the top 23% Tramore

24% Waterford

19% Ireland

Last Updated: Today

I knew it. Poor olde Waterford.. only honest h/caps s in the country😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Yes

Just read this on WHS https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2022/11/28/what-is-wrong-with-the-irish-golfing-mentality/

A rambling, sentimental, poor article in my opinion. Picks on minority, edge cases and no data to support any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

We call them gilligans. In our friendly matches you get 1 mulligan and 1 gilligan per 9.

Mulligans only off the tee and you can’t mulligan a gilligan but you can gilligan a mulligan 😀

No

No soft cap in play.

9.0 is pre knee surgery and in 2021..

Came in10.5

50 plus counting rounds this year.

And still better than rest of country by 5%

.🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭token56

Yes

Obviously this is just for major amateur competitions but is it almost an acknowledgement that the system of including general rounds in the handicap index doesn't work that well? It seems like it me to.

I think it is probably too much for clubs to do something similar for major competitions like Captains prizes, Medals, etc but it is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

No

Golf Ireland doing something similar

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2023/01/11/changes-to-golf-ireland-championship-qualification-criteria-announced/?mc_cid=0800722875&mc_eid=6150307cb1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Yes

Hmm this will be interesting ok.

I'm not clear if it will apply to both better or worse scores although the Golf Ireland does seem to be specific: In the event that an entrant has more than four general play scores on their record and where their General Play Scores are significantly better than those in competition, (ie, more than two shots better on average) their entry will be reviewed by the Championship Committee

It seems to be designed to prevent golfers who have better general play scores to lower their handicaps.

Implication is that it's easier to manipulate a better score in general play than competition. Not sure if that's the case.

In my experience of reviewing scores for the AHR, most general play scores are returned on away courses and are worse in general than competition scores which are mainly on the home course. This should be expected I guess due to familiarity with ones home course.

Yes

The concern would be that some players may be artificially returning low scores in general play to keep their handicap low to enter elite competition. Conspiring with friends etc... then when it comes to the elite competition go out shoot a pair of 95s in qualifying as they are not up to the standard.

A low handicap player may feel more relaxed in general play and produce better scores than they would over 18 holes in a competition. The birdies might flow a bit better

No

but that's daft

they aren't good enough for the teams... they won't get picked.... or they will loose..... so why it the idea in the restricting low general play scores for team comps... it benefits nobody.... they should be restricting high general play scores if they want to make that kind of change

maybe there was a typo 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Yes

To enter any of the top amateur competitions or prestigious senior scratch cups, they basically take the lowest X players. So now there is apparently an issue with players off low handicaps handing in very low general play scores to get their handicaps down and get themselves into these competitions. They then go out and shoot terrible scores. It's not for team golf.

No

my bad. was reading the other day also about the changes to team golf this year and just got them mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

Yes

I wonder if there's actually an issue with it or if there is just a guy or two and people have decided it's rampant.

Yes

It's a lot more than a handful. Dozens at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimbee

No

The handicap system is what it is and not the problem.

The real issue is we tried to put a square peg in a round hole. The WHS is essentially the American system adopted in Ireland and UK for tourism. The main difference in golf culture between USA and Ireland is we play mainly stableford golf and we have adopted a system that is based on stroke play.

Stroke play you could lose your playing handicap on one hole.

Stableford you get to carry your handicap through the whole round. This is why 36pts is nowhere near level par in a stableford competition.

Stableford is favoured in Ireland for pace of play and it gets more people through the course €€€€.

Has anyone thought about that?

No

While it is what it is as you say. It is by default rewarding mediocre golf and penalising consistency..

Results at my home club are showing up multiple scores in the mid 40's every week.

They are not bandits or sandbaggers from my knowledge of them but competent golfers who went through poor scoring spells and ended up with inflated handicaps in relation to their true abilities/potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yes

it treats stroke play the same though for handicap purposes

if you shot a 20 on a hole, it was never going to count the 20, so nothing has changed there

on the day for the purposes of the competition, it counts, but that hasn't changed

Advertisement