Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is WHS fit for purpose

Options
  • 02-09-2022 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭

There is enough chatter on the other threads so try keep this one a simple yes or no.

some people like the new system, others don’t, while some think it’s good but could be better if tweaked.

but for this question, just answer yes or no as to WHS in its current state.

Is WHS fit for purpose 126 votes

Yes
    58%
    Corkey123SuprSiKiithDuckSlicebilly3sheetskippyRikandhigsterKOJAK_1redzerdrogButtrosfrisbeefaceroverjoycegman127blackboxkeane2097DoubleDDonkeyPokerTourtoken56golondrinas 74 votes
    No
    41%
    RoadRunnerceltic_ozSeve OBBraveDonutvalcspacecoyoteL.O.F.Tone man clappincoleenComhrábakerbhoyAndyPmagic_murphMiley ByrneBlockev_s88callaway92fearruanuaslingerzHijpo 52 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No

Voted no.

BUT... It's a decent system. It's just that it's not fit for golf in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Yes

I’ve genuinely mixed opinions but voted yes as the average nett score across the categories is almost equal now and that’s pretty much what it’s objective was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No

No. It’s too easy to manipulate your handicap without any issue

I’m could hypothetically go from 8.1 to 15.0 within 8 rounds of Golf played over X amount of days without paying a cent to do so

There has to be a limit on handicap gained per calendar year but also some sort of a weighted system too - I’m just not sure of the best formula but this can’t be it currently

In the perfect world, I like the idea of the average of your best 8 of your last 20 rounds though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yes

Yes, much better reflection of your current level of golf. Much more transparent also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

No

The higher statistical variance of high handicappers means with a large group of cat 4 golfers competing in competitions they dominate the top positions in competition every time. Currently it's not right for for cat1 golfers to compete directly against cat4 in our place. A change to either WHS or regular competition format is required. I've no interclub experience in last few years, so I may be jumping to conclusions, but I imagine WHS makes an utter joke out of interclub too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Yes

But there are limits on handicap gained in a year under WHS. Soft cap at 3 followed by hard cap at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes

i expect to be in the minority with this but yes

Yes

It's definitely a problem. Even after 2 years, there is still a clear lack of understanding as to how WHS operates.

Not Callaways fault. Its the fault of GolfIreland and whoever else who is not getting the point across properly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

Yes

It's not perfect but it is much better than the previous system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

No

No for me. In CONGU high handicappers increased by 0.1 but a cut would be in increments of 0.4/0.3. The WHS has a similar reduction as to increase. That is a failing of it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

I think the issue is that the 0.1 was the same for all categories (ignoring the difference in buffer), but cuts were more aggressive for higher handicaps.

I would've thought this was the perfect way of balancing the fact that higher handicaps are much more erratic, and for me is the biggest failing of the new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ìts fit for purpose, it does exactly what its designed to do, however I think its the wrong purpose, it shouldnt be trying to give everyone 36 points most of the time, you should have to play well to have 36 points and most people dont play well most of the time.

Yes

36 would give you a decent reduction in your handicap though 19 times out of 20. 34 points is the standard scratch in general

Where are you getting that from? and are you talking CONGU?

34 wasnt C/sSS in my course anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Yes

I don't think the WHS is perfect but I think it works pretty well and all of my regular playing partners would agree. The thing I like about it is that it reflects the current state of your golf. If you go through a bad period then your handicap is reflected accordingly, can't say fairer than that. I took a walk in my handicap from almost 1 last year out to 4 purely due to a very bad period of golf. My ego took a hit but the handicap was correct as that was the level of golf I was playing at the time. Slowly coming back down now thankfully as the golf has improved but certainly for me I've found that the system works and works fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

No

Pros

• Gives a fair reflection of someone's golf, if they are competing genuinely
    • Allows input of casual rounds
    • Gives me some focus on my off days to get the best score I can, in case i need it at some later date
    • Can reward improving golfers more quickly

Cons

• Hard and soft caps are way too high
    • Significantly more open to manipulation
    • Can disincentivise improving, especially with newer or more casual golfers as your handicap will just swing out till you score better, rather than making you improve to score better
    • Creating animosity in clubs with some lower guys not feeling they can compete in club comps. Feels like it's watering down the value of majors
    • Winning scores becoming crazy in numerous clubs
    • PCC calc not serving its purpose (I know this is being addressed)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

Yes

I can only speak from my own experience, but as someone who has just come back to golf since Covid I love the new system. My handicap in April of this year was 23 and as of this morning it's 13.5. So in 6 months I've dropped almost 10 shots and I'm buzzing about that. What I have found is that each time I get a cut it gives me another target to beat & I've been pretty successful in reaching those targets (with some blips of course). My last two cuts were 1 whole stroke each. I don't think this would have been the case in the old system? Although I'm open to correction on that as I never maintained a handicap or played comps before last year. I think the new system really rewards form, my last 7 scores are all contributing to my hcap, I'm hoping to make it 8 in a row next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Yes

I'm shocked that yes is the clear winner in this poll. I voted yes. It's certainly flawed, but so was congu.

The main thing I prefer with this system is that handicaps can go up significantly without intervention from the handicap secretary. I'm one of the very few delighted to see high handicap winners of overall comps.

I like that you can submit casual rounds so easily. I find that makes me care about the casual rounds a lot more.

What I don't like are the course ratings. I'm not convinced they're robust. I like the idea of them, but they don't seem accurate in my experience.

And I don't like that if someone wants to cheat on their handicap they can do it more effectively with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

No

I think that I've found that the course ratings are actually probably OK, but the slopes definitely need revision

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

No

Overall No for me

Yes it shows current form, bit that's about it.

For me, Casual rounds should have no bearing. Different story when you have a card in your hand in a comp that means anything. Casual rounds mean nothing to me other than a nice walk and fresh air. Or holiday games on golf trips. To me those games are to be enjoyed playing golf solo or with a group of mates. Chosing during rounds we'll play the tips on par 3s and whites everywhere else. For a fiver. To me that trump's casual scores for handicap any day. But each to their own.

I'm not convinced on its good for inter club golf either. The jury us out on that.

Anyway, it's with us now so so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Yes

The more I think about the move to whs the more I think one of the main reasons for the change is to tackle the lack of young adult golfers in the game. Being able to submit casual rounds is great for those not getting to play in many comps. And for those who take up the game but don't get to play a whole lot, under congu they'd have been stuck for years in a handicap that they couldn't play to. Under whs they'll hopefully be encouraged to play more.

For all the giving out that people are doing about no longer being able to compete, I just don't believe that we'll lose those golfers in great numbers if things don't change. I think the vast majority will keep going out on Sunday morning because they like playing golf and competing against yourself is half the fun anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

No

100% agree with all of this.

I'd also add CSS doesnt come into consideration for adverse weather or likewise for days when scoring would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No

Well you don’t have to submit your casual rounds. I like that you can put them in. Any I’ve put in though (well most of them) have been in some sort of competition, boards society etc so would have had that card in my hand. I think a few of them are counting or certainly were so without them I’d be higher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yes

yes, lot better than the old system

more open, more userfriendly, more rounds entered and more understandable

much better at the job of handicapping by ability, which is the actual job of handicap in the first place, some people don't seem to be able to handle that

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Yes

Yes

Yes for me. I think it gives you a great insight on your HC and is great for motivation. Especially when you know you have some good scores falling off your 20 score cards.

I can understand the frustrations of the single digit HC golfers though.

I dont thnk you will lose the really low guys, but other than pride there is not much point in the 5-10 range keeping up the same effort as before and expecting to be competitive. Better off giving up and practice and watch the wins roll in.

And as for what this does for the "sanctity" of inter clubs as that level...

You would have had ESRs under CONGU so would have come down quickly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

No

I think that it is too open to building a handicap. In the old system you got your 0.1 no matter how badly you played.

With WHS you can consider yourself out of the competition and then (if you want to ) just continue to score as badly as possible to drive your handicap up.

If you adopt this strategy across a number of rounds it will not take long for someone who is only interested in playing for prizes to build a huge handicap

Advertisement